Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Steel_Wind

Legend
If it's new - ok. It's SVGA, so the technology is a little older, but brightness is good and image size for a DLP at the throw distances others have been posting with on this thread seems to be in the 38-42" zone.

If this is intended to see action as a home theatre as well, I'd go XGA. For for tabletop projection - this will do the job.

Before you buy, look at XGA units and determine if there are any in your price range. If there are not - go for it.

Please post pics! We lost quite a few links with the Great Crash (mutters and grumbles)

Last edited:

RigaMortus2

First Post
Our group did that a couple times. Except we mounted a mirror to the ceiling and bounced the projector image off the mirror onto the table. Worked out really well.

Steel_Wind

Legend
The question is not whether they are able to run XGA via autosynch - but if they can do XGA in native mode. Native mode is indicative of pixel density. And pixel desntiy is what will give you a clear, sharp picture.

The projectors you are looking at are not XGA - they are SVGA. SVGA is obsolete in DLP and LCD projectors and, if you can avoid it to get XGA - please do so.

I would not go with either of those Epsons, either way.

My principal beef with those units is that they are very bulky. They are inconvenient to position over a table, eat a few inches of throw distance, are inconvenient to transport and - to top it off - the Epson EMP S1H (which I have used before) is very loud.

The EMP TW 10 is also made for home theatre and is too dim at 1000 ANSI. If you were buying it used or getting it for a song - ok. But new? No.

Please look at this unit on the site you pointed me to for the Epsons:

http://www.hifipriser.dk/Listprices.asp?ID=196036

The BenQ MP620 is just the sort of proejector you want if you can afford it. Several people from ENWorld have picked it up and all of them are very happy with the unit.

The Dell 2400MP is another good candidate.

If these units are just simply way too much for your group and price is the driving factor, I would go with the Acer you pointed to originally before the Epsons.

You can also look at used projectors on ebay if price is the driving factor.

Last edited:

DrNilesCrane

First Post
...since it went bye-bye in the big EN World crash, here's the link to some pictures of my digital projector set-up with pictures from a few early adventures:

http://www.the6elements.com/us/#digital

Does anyone have any suggestions (other than Dundjinni) for good maps for a modern campaign to go with the digital projector - specifically, what could I use instead of NWN that has the same ease / functionality for modern city streets, building interiors, etc. (if anything)?

Steel_Wind

Legend
There is the D20 Modern tilesets for NWN - though they are not plentiful (nor all that good).

Another approach is to use the Modforce mapping system that comes with Freedom Force. That might be decent enough (if cartoony) but FF is available for dirt cheap.

I expect there are other computer game editors for modern games that others could suggest.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases