Coolest. Gaming Set-up. Evar.

Hurtfultater

First Post
Krypter said:
Also, there's the perennial problem of not having enough miniatures. You'd have to spend a fortune to get all the miniatures for an exotic fantasy setting, some of which might not even exist. Are there miniatures for the Howler on Pandemomium? How about modrons on Mechanus? I doubt it. So you end up substituting some ridiculous miniature that doesn't look like what you described. Your imagination can do a lot better than that.

You can use placeholder minis for quite a bit, and you'd be suprised how many first and third party models there are for NWN. The DM doesn't need physical minis to do anything - he can just spawn however many models he needs. If there aren't modron models already, they're at least going to be pretty easy to make.

EDIT: Robert (Steel Wind), have you considered using a lens or warped mirror to reduce the minimum throw distance? You'd still have a considerable minimum (unless you raid an observatory), but you might be able to do a slanted projection or just a short enough throw to integrate a projector into a coffee table or desk. Also, what's the minimum buy in for an acceptable XVG DLP projector? I'm new to this projector scene and filled with a nerdly desire beyond all reckoning.

Last edited:

RSKennan

Explorer
Rather than projecting, I've been wanting to rig up an HDTV under plexiglass. Of course I don't have the cash to blow on a spare HDTV, but when I do....

der_kluge

Adventurer
Boys and their toys. I want one!

The price of LCD projectors have come down significantly in recent years. I saw one new at Best Buy for around $800. Yea, still pricey. I never considered one for this purpose. I was thinking of just using the wall as my computer monitor. Of course, anymore then only game I really play on my computer is spider solitaire, so that would be kind of silly.

hwoolsey

First Post
A table-surface possibility

A friend of mine wallpapered his home office (well, the upper half of the walls) with a product that functions exactly as white board and is finished to be appropriate for use as LCD projection screen. This would give you the benefit of both surfaces and provide a bright image from the projector.

I will send him an email to see if I can get a name of the product.

Hank Woolsey

Aristotle

First Post
Very neat!

I daydream about the 'perfect game room' all the time and I often wonder if I'd go with an overhead projector or an underglass monitor. I thought a touch screen would be neat. Especially if you could configure the software to hilight an area of effect centered on where you touch.

A nice fantasy for me, but I commend you for taking steps to make it a reality for your group.

Len

Prodigal Member
Steel_Wind said:
My guess is that most wives are not going to put up with one of those over the dining room table :D
But most wives do want an attractive hanging lamp over the dining room table. So it's just a matter of working out the aesthetics.

Boredflak

Explorer
One aspect of digital projection mapping that I haven't seen addressed on this thread is speed. This is one of the biggest impacts on the gaming experience our setup has had for us. We used to waste hours of game time on drawing relatively crappy-looking maps.

Even with a dry erase battle mat for individual encounters, my players felt the need to have a hand-drawn map of the whole dungeon. We've found that with the ability to zoom the projected map, it serves both purposes.

Even if you spend a lot of time preparing the map in advance like I do, the in-game time saved is enormous. I'd guess we have at least double the number of encounters per game session that we did when we were drawing maps in-game.

So even if the projected map doesn't help in setting the mood (it does!), and even if you don't use miniatures (they rock!), consider projecting your maps to cut the drudgery and get to the action!

--

Jans Carton
The Hypertext d20 SRD
http://www.d20srd.org/

Last edited:

Remove ads