Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Okay, for no better reason than I think it might prove interesting--and really, what more do you need? ;)--I'd like to try a little group creative exercise. I'm not pretending this is a unique idea, but I haven't seen it done in a while.

I'd like for us, as a group, to create a setting (or at least a portion thereof) appropriate for a campaign. The kingdom under discussion is the Sovereign Dominion of Eyros, or just Eyros for short.

Here are the rules:

1) You contribute to the setting by posting a single fact. These should be no longer than a few sentences, and under most conditions should consist of a single sentence.

2) You may contribute more than once, but not in a row. You must allow no fewer than five contributions between your last contribution and your next. (Note that this is five contributions, not five posts. People asking for clarification or making other comments don't count.)

3) The facts presented should involve the setting, not the game mechanics. Don't say "Dwarves have a penalty to Dexterity instead of Charisma." That's not what I'm looking for. They can involve the setting's current status, its history, its politics, its geographical features, etc. They can even involve other nearby regions, though I'd like to focus primarily on Eyros to start with.

4) You may not present a fact that contradicts or "undoes" a previous contribution, though your contribution might (and should) tweak or expand on previous stuff.

5) This should be a usable, functional setting. Please don't post anything goofy or deliberately disruptive or hard to follow-up.

6) Try not to completely remove standard options (that is, options found in the core rulebooks). It's okay to present a fact that suggests a certain class or race is rare or persecuted, but don't come out and say "There are no wizards" or anything like that.

7) Along similar lines, all statements should be assumed to pertain to the core races/classes unless stated otherwise. For instance, in my contribution below, I say "one specific race." I'm referring to one of the standard player races from the PHB. If you're talking about monster races, please specify that you do, in fact, mean monsters.

8) Please quote the contribution prior to yours, so there's no confusion as to where things stood when you posted. (In case multiple people post at once, or that sort of thing.) In the case of confusion, simultaneous or contradictory posts, or contributions that appear disruptive, I--as the lovable instigator of this mess--reserve the right of final judgment. :D

9) Finally, this setting should, for the most part, be playable with D&D as written.

All right? I'll start.

Eyros is a monarchy in which only one specific race may hold the throne, with all others treated as second-class citizens.

hero4hire

Explorer
Ooo...lets see I am first?

Eyros has very "Roman-esque" feel, Style of dress, and architecture. People favor togas, buildings have Big Columns..Large, beautiful statues of the Gods/Kings.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
hero4hire said:
Ooo...lets see I am first?

Eyros has very "Roman-esque" feel, Style of dress, and architecture. People favor togas, buildings have Big Columns..Large, beautiful statues of the Gods/Kings.

The climate is that of the chaparral (Mediterranean climate zones) and is characterised by
mild winters, and hot dry summers. Topography includes flat plains, rocky hills and mountain slopes scrubland predominates although larger woodland areas do exist. Fires occur frequently in the grasslands and scrub.

Cor Azer

First Post
Tonguez said:
The climate is that of the chaparral (Mediterranean climate zones) and is characterised by
mild winters, and hot dry summers. Topography includes flat plains, rocky hills and mountain slopes scrubland predominates although larger woodland areas do exist. Fires occur frequently in the grasslands and scrub.

The armies of Eyros tend to favor cavalry and ranged combat due to the potential large battlefields, and need for distance from plainsfires.

Ar'Salan

First Post
Eyros has a long tradition of senatorial governance, with occassional periods of despotic autocracy when a particular family or individual gains dominance.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Eyros is a monarchy in which only one specific race may hold the throne, with all others treated as second-class citizens.

Half-orcs make up the ruling class of Eyros, and the most high born can trace their ancestry back through several generations of orcish forebears.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

> Half-orcs make up the ruling class of Eyros, and
> the most high born can trace their ancestry back
> through several generations of orcish forebears.

The kingdom’s capital is the great city of Eyrdeyn (often colloquially referred to as the First City), a sprawling metropolis built upon the slopes of Mt. Xark, upon which the largest of the Grand Monarch’s fortress-palaces stands.

ironregime

Cthulhudrew said:
Half-orcs make up the ruling class of Eyros, and the most high born can trace their ancestry back through several generations of orcish forebears.

Sweet! I was waiting for someone to jump on the fact that I left that dangling. :D

(Real contribution to follow.)

ironregime said:
> Half-orcs make up the ruling class of Eyros, and
> the most high born can trace their ancestry back
> through several generations of orcish forebears.

The kingdom’s capital is the great city of Eyrdeyn (often colloquially referred to as the First City), a sprawling metropolis built upon the slopes of Mt. Xark, upon which the largest of the Grand Monarch’s fortress-palaces stands.

ironregime

The Orc-Blooded royal and noble families keep a population of elven slaves, trained from birth to be completely loyal and to practice arcane magics. They are used to make up for the fact that the Orc-Blooded themselves don't make the best arcane casters. Free elves (and other non-orc races) refer to these slave/wizard elves as "Masks," in reference to the fact that there's always an Orc-Blood "behind" them.

Sado

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
The Orc-Blooded royal and noble families keep a population of elven slaves, trained from birth to be completely loyal and to practice arcane magics. They are used to make up for the fact that the Orc-Blooded themselves don't make the best arcane casters. Free elves (and other non-orc races) refer to these slave/wizard elves as "Masks," in reference to the fact that there's always an Orc-Blood "behind" them.

The dominant and oldest religion has grown up around the worship of the reptiles which are common in the area. Other religions include an elemental fire cult and a relatively new dualistic religion.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases