Creative Exercise: The Sovereign Dominion of Eyros

Arkhandus

First Post
The human-blooded House Mulcibe, infamous for their peculiar red hair, is based in Tounuma the city of high spires, spread across several hilltops, between the Zedak River in the east and the Kelnar Mountains to the west.

Phineas Crow

First Post
This turned out longer than I planned, but I haven’t had a chance to contribute for a couple days and I just couldn’t stop typing.

A large percentage of Mhur’s residents are lowborn dwarves who toil within the smelters and smithies that make up the City of Iron‘s core districts. Deeply suspicious of large congregations of dwarves, legionnaires of the Eryosian government have been making frequent patrols within the city seeking any signs of rebellion. Dwarves accused of conspiring against the Grand Monarch are dragged off in chains, never to be seen again.

The Iron League, which controls the City of Iron, sees the ever-increasing military presence as an unreasonable and unjust act which is becoming detrimental to the city as more and more dwarves are arrested with little or no explanation. Riled members of the Iron League have begun to make thinly-veiled accusations that the Sovereign government is attempting to usurp control of Mhur, using dwarven dissidence as an excuse to cripple Mhur’s production and flood its streets with armed soldiers.

If things continue to escalate, open war could erupt and possibly a full civil war should any of the Houses dare to side with the Iron League against the current Grand Monarch. While not common, there have been times when the Houses of Eyros have openly fought each other, leading to Grand Monarchs coming to power through force and not legitimate process. A revolt by the Iron League could be a golden opportunity for a sufficiently powerful Pillar or an alliance of Houses to tip the scales and gain control of Eyros.

Jakar

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
This turned out longer than I planned, but I haven’t had a chance to contribute for a couple days and I just couldn’t stop typing.

A large percentage of Mhur’s residents are lowborn dwarves who toil within the smelters and smithies that make up the City of Iron‘s core districts. Deeply suspicious of large congregations of dwarves, legionnaires of the Eryosian government have been making frequent patrols within the city seeking any signs of rebellion. Dwarves accused of conspiring against the Grand Monarch are dragged off in chains, never to be seen again.

The Iron League, which controls the City of Iron, sees the ever-increasing military presence as an unreasonable and unjust act which is becoming detrimental to the city as more and more dwarves are arrested with little or no explanation. Riled members of the Iron League have begun to make thinly-veiled accusations that the Sovereign government is attempting to usurp control of Mhur, using dwarven dissidence as an excuse to cripple Mhur’s production and flood its streets with armed soldiers.

If things continue to escalate, open war could erupt and possibly a full civil war should any of the Houses dare to side with the Iron League against the current Grand Monarch. While not common, there have been times when the Houses of Eyros have openly fought each other, leading to Grand Monarchs coming to power through force and not legitimate process. A revolt by the Iron League could be a golden opportunity for a sufficiently powerful Pillar or an alliance of Houses to tip the scales and gain control of Eyros.

To follow on from this post.

The House of Malarn has recently been subvertly giving aid to the Iron League in the hope that they may use the great port of Malarn-ka more as a shipping port, thus filling the already over-flowing Malarn treasury a little more.

This news is even more disturbing as a lot of the officers in the Legions (as per post 98) that are currently heading to Mhur come from House Malarn.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Jakar said:
To follow on from this post.

The House of Malarn has recently been subvertly giving aid to the Iron League in the hope that they may use the great port of Malarn-ka more as a shipping port, thus filling the already over-flowing Malarn treasury a little more.

This news is even more disturbing as a lot of the officers in the Legions (as per post 98) that are currently heading to Mhur come from House Malarn.
A quick note: Can we stop using Eyrosian as an adjective (Eyrian is the adjective, Eyrosian is the language)? Thanks! It will help out immensely for doing the updates (since I do my best to edit out some of the errors before making the updates). OK, sorry for the semi-rant.

Contribution: The mysterious human woman who is thought to have stolen the royal trappings in 1985 EY was actually an agent of the Indraccans, who hoped to take the trappings for her own kingdom's use. Although she was not successful, she came close to her goal, causing the Mask Tellas to realise that the royal trappings were not safe in their current position. In order to preserve them to fulfill one of Jal-qwuin's prophecies, Tellas stole the trappings herself. This had the side benefit of protecting her identity from anyone who might examine the Sword too carefully. When she heard that the guards on duty were to be executed, she collected them and replaced them with semi-real shadowy images, using enchantment magic to create new identities for the true guards and reinsert them in Eyrian society while the images were executed.

X

xnosipjpqmhd

For my part, I welcome Mouse's stepping up to the plate to manage production of a finished PDF. I will offer my time in producing maps, writing, or possibly both. I have a degree in Technical Writing and currently work in marketing/design, so I do have some real skills. My main weak point is a lack of technical knowledge with the 3/3.5 rules set, though I think I could find my way around the SRD well enough for most things.

Now, on to my contribution:

Only is hushed whispers is the rumor spread that beneath Wraith’s Steeple, the highest of the Kelnar Mountains, lies the labyrinthine halls of Alkshalnjar, forgotten city-state of the dwarves. The Jagged Eye—among other groups—has spent much effort in locating entrances to this fabled land, though whether they have had success is not known.

(Every fantasy world needs a forgotten lost city of the dwarves. ;-)

ironregime

Phineas Crow

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
A quick note: Can we stop using Eyrosian as an adjective (Eyrian is the adjective, Eyrosian is the language)? Thanks! It will help out immensely for doing the updates (since I do my best to edit out some of the errors before making the updates). OK, sorry for the semi-rant.

Actually Eyrian is the people, Eyrosian is the adjective, like the example in a previous post it is like Arab and Arabic. Anything relating to or characteristic of Eyros or the Eyrians is Eyrosian: Eyrosian calendar, Eyrosian language, Eyrosian culture, etc.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
Actually Eyrian is the people, Eyrosian is the adjective, like the example in a previous post it is like Arab and Arabic. Anything relating to or characteristic of Eyros or the Eyrians is Eyrosian: Eyrosian calendar, Eyrosian language, Eyrosian culture, etc.
I Googled "Arabic Government" and got 700 hits, and then I Googled "Arab Government" and got 20,000 hits. Frankly, I was surprised to even see 700 hits for Arabic Government. Just thought I'd let you know. I am glad to see that this was a matter of interpretation though, since not just you but a lot of people have just been using Eyrosian exclusively. We also have the precedent from our own posts of "Eyrian parents" "Eyrian astrology" "Eyrian cities" "Eyrian nobility" "Eyrian society" and "Eyrian commodities."

Phineas Crow

First Post
Rystil Arden said:
I Googled "Arabic Government" and got 700 hits, and then I Googled "Arab Government" and got 20,000 hits. Frankly, I was surprised to even see 700 hits for Arabic Government.

That is probably because there hasn't been an actual nation of Arabia for more than a thousand years... and Arabia has its own adjective, arabian (arabian nights, arabian sea).

The only other example I can think where the people and adjective is different is Muslim (believer of Islam) with Islamic (relating to Islam).

"Muslim Government" 22,400 hits, "Islamic Government" 89,100.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Phineas Crow said:
That is probably because there hasn't been an actual nation of Arabia for more than a thousand years... and Arabia has its own adjective, arabian (arabian nights, arabian sea).

The only other example I can think where the people and adjective is different is Muslim (believer of Islam) with Islamic (relating to Islam).

"Muslim Government" 22,400 hits, "Islamic Government" 89,100.
"Arab government" wasn't referring to Arabia, but rather government of the Arab people. Your Muslim/Islam example is for a religion rather than a state, but nonetheless it makes a good point and shows precedent that sometimes it can go either way in the real world. For Eyros, the way it has gone in most posts is Eyrian except for the language.

Remove ads