Rules/Crunch of Eyros

domino

First Post
We could just arbitrarily drop his CR down to close to that of Vil. Maybe 25 or so. I didn't go and put the cleric spells in, because those I would think would be something the GM would want to hammer out uniquely. Those would make a difference. Also, we can always go ahead and give him more magic gear. Unlike, say, a giant dinosaur, it's perfectly appropriate for him to have a similar outfit to an adventurer.

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
We could just arbitrarily drop his CR down to close to that of Vil. Maybe 25 or so. I didn't go and put the cleric spells in, because those I would think would be something the GM would want to hammer out uniquely. Those would make a difference. Also, we can always go ahead and give him more magic gear. Unlike, say, a giant dinosaur, it's perfectly appropriate for him to have a similar outfit to an adventurer.
It is certainly true that he could wear gear, which would make a huge difference. I'm thinking maybe we should drop him to 30 HD and then make him CR 25. Advancement by the Monster Manual usually doesn't work out so well except for brutish smashy things, so CT will get the short end of the stick if he is advanced much that way. The other, better but more difficult, possibility is to advance him with PC levels (maybe cleric to stack with his automatic cleric casting). That's really the best way to advance Outsider types with all those special abilities, since the extra HD from monster advancement doesn't really synergise with those

domino

First Post
Cleric or Paladin, even. If you want to do some more number crunching for that, go ahead. If not, I'll do it sometime when I get back.

I suppose adding the Saint template would be a bit much. Actually, now that I think about it, adding the Saint template would simply be superfluous to his inherent abilities.

domino

First Post
Conquers Twice
Large Outsider/Paladin 10

Hit Dice: 22d8++10d10+161 (299 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 150 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 51 (–1 size, +3 Dex, +21 natural, +13 Armor, +5 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 48
Base Attack/Grapple: +32/+48
Attack: +5 dancing greatsword +39 melee (3d6+2d6 Holy+20/19–20) or +2 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +26 ranged (2d6+2d6 Holy+7/x3 plus slaying) or slam +34 melee (2d8+2d6 Holy+15)
Full Attack: +5 dancing greatsword +39/+34/+29/+24 melee (3d6+2d6 Holy+20/19–20) or +2 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +26/+21/+16/+11 ranged (2d6+2d6 Holy+7/x3 plus slaying) or slam +34 melee (2d8+2d6 Holy+15)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell-like abilities, spells
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 25/epic and evil, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, protective aura, regeneration 15, resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 35, tongues
Saves: Fort +39 (+43 against poison), Ref +31, Will +36
Abilities: Str 35, Dex 18, Con 24, Int 23, Wis 27, Cha 34
Skills: Concentration +45, Craft or Knowledge (any five) +33, Diplomacy +52, Escape Artist +25, Hide +24, Listen +33, Move Silently +25, Search +31, Sense Motive +56, Spellcraft +31, Spot +36, Survival +15 (+17 following tracks), Use Rope +16 (+18 with bindings)
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Mobility, Power Attack, Track, Point blank shot, Far Shot, Distant Shot, Holy Strike
Environment: Any good-aligned plane
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 33
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Lawful Good

Equipment:
+5 Heavy Fortification Mithril Full Plate
+5 ring of Protection
+6 Cloak of Charisma

That's what he looks like with 10 levels of paladin. I haven't bothered to put the various extras a paladin gets, immunity to fear, add cha to saves (though those were added into the numbers) just to save space. I was thinking about switching out the dancing greatsword for a Holy Avenger. What do you think?

Other stuff, those feats that I added among other things let him shoot arrows at anything in sight, at any distance, with no range penalties, and Holy strike adds 2d6 Holy damage to any weapon he picks up, even a broken chair leg.

Last edited:

Abisashi

First Post
Instead of the kind of crappy Holy Avenger in the DMG, Conquers Twice's Holy Avenger should Geater Dispell whenever it hits something.

domino

First Post
Honestly, A Holy Avenger would probably not even be worth it. The main point of a Holy Avenger is to do extra holy damage, and be +5.

But his Greatsword already is plus 5, and the Holy Strike feat adds the holy damage.

In my mind, he's the anti-Vil. Vil as the king to the south, and just about THE premiere force of Evil in the setting. Conquers Twice being up north, and the mightiest avatar of Good out there. So, despite his higher CR, I think he should be equal with Vil.

Abisashi

First Post
Alsixnivis

I'll stat up Alsixnivis this weekend, when I have access to my draconomicon. :]

We still haven't made those pillar feats, but statting up high CR monsters is so fun!

domino

First Post
Yeah, it's fun. But I have a feeling we're headed towards the same problem with, what was it, FR? Where everything is too top heavy. So far, about 1/3 of the movers and shakers that have been seriously discussed are nigh-unto godlike creatures.

That seems a bit too much. But maybe that's just me.

Rystil Arden

First Post
domino said:
Yeah, it's fun. But I have a feeling we're headed towards the same problem with, what was it, FR? Where everything is too top heavy. So far, about 1/3 of the movers and shakers that have been seriously discussed are nigh-unto godlike creatures.

That seems a bit too much. But maybe that's just me.
Well, we could have just not advanced them as much, leaving their CRs lower without going against the flavour. But remember, we've got these guys instead of gods for this setting, so they are the upper echelon. Also, we don't have that many high-level NPCs out there, so we need a few things that can challenge a high-level party. We've got about 70 NPCs, and only about 10% of them are very powerful, despite the natural tendency to create powerful, important beings.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases