• +2 Int +2 Cha +2 Dex –2 Con
  • Medium size
  • 30’ movement,
  • Immunity to magic sleep,
  • +2 Racial bonus on Listen, Search, & Spot checks,
  • Automatic Search check if passes within 5’ of a secret or concealed door,
  • Darkvision 120’,
  • +2 Racial bonus on Will save vs. spells & spell-like abilities,
  • Light Blindness: daylight blinds the Drow for 1 round, and -1 to Attack rolls, Spot checks , & Search checks, in bright light,
  • Spell Resistance (11 + Character level),
  • Automatic proficiency with Hand-Crossbows, Rapier, & Shortsword.
  • +2 Racial bonus to saves vs. Enchantments,
  • Cast the following spells 1/day at Character level: Dancing Lights, Darkness, Faerie Fire,
  • Favored class Wizard (males) Clerics (females)
  • Appearance: Dark grey skin, white hair, black iris with red or violet Incandecent pupils.
  • automatically speaks undercommon. Infernal, and abysal available as bonus languages

Half Drow
  • Medium Size,
  • 30’ movement,
  • Immunity to magic sleep,
  • +1 Racial bonus on Listen, Search, & Spot checks,
  • Darkvision 60’,
  • If raised in Drow society automatic proficiency with Hand-Crossbows, Rapier, & Short sword.
  • +1 Racial bonus to saves vs. Enchantments,
  • Appearance: usualy a couple of shades darker then the human parent, white hair, iris are the color of the human parent with red or violet Incandecent pupils.
  • If raised by Drow parent, automatically speaks undercommon. Infernal, and abysal available as bonus languages. If raised by human parent undercommon available as a bonus language.
    • Half Drow are always the result of a human and drow mating. In the rare case of a Drow mating with an Elf the offspring would be the race of one or the other parent. For some reason Elf and Drow blood does not mix. Humans are the only other race that the Drow would mate with seeing all other races as too far beneath them to mix blood with. Mating with a Human though looked down upon is known to happen in places where the two cultures mix. The offsrping nearly always are rased in a hostile environment, out of a feeling of superiority in the Drow culture and out of fear in the Human culture.
  • Favored class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Half Drow suffers an XP penalty, the highest level class does not count.

History of the Drow

The Descent

The Lilytiri, or "Dark Elves" known for the depths of their depravity dwelt at one time in the mountains of the dwarven lands. A warlike race, the Lilytiri made war with their neighbors, including other elven tribes. Their raids and depravity forced the other races, to ally against them.

Defeated in a series of awe inspiring battles, the Lilytiri fled deep underground into caverns that held dark secrets and dark creatures. This event, marked the end of the Drow as a surface-dwelling race.

The Dark Wars

The Drows warlike nature did not change when they escaped their surface foes. In fact, they immediately began waring to establish territories in their new home. They began by stealing dwarven magical items, and using them against their previous owners

The Drow then fought among themselves, noble against noble, priest against priestess, for rule in their new realm. This all-out war ended amid great magical explosions that brought down the roof of the largest dwarven cavern they had seized. The ceiling collapsed entirely, burying many Drow and the shattered dwarven cities. The surviving Drow nobles gathered what people, slaves, and equipment they could seize, and fled deeper into the Underdark in search of places to dwell. "The Scattering" brought about the many rival, self-interested cities where most Drow live today.

Cosmology (Gods)
LILITU

Enworldian Drow Deity

Symbol: A black widow spider
Home Plane: Wondering the underdark
Alignment: Neutral Evil.
Portfolio: Manipulation through sex. Treachery and deceit
Worshippers: Matriarchal Drow Communities.
Cleric Alignments: LE, NE, CE.
Domains: Evil, Trickery, Magic
Favored Weapon: "Poison Ring"

Drow goddess of feminine power especially as it refers to manipulation and magic. Lilitu is the fabled "first drow" wife of the demon prince Mishtuli. Because of their forbidden love he was sent into the underworld to live in torment while Lilitu wondered the desert trying to find the entrance. Finding the entrance into the cavernous underdark she wanders still searching out her demon prince to try and free him or at least share in his torment forever. She is a beutifull and seductive looking Drow woman from the waist up. From the waist down she is a black widow spider.

MISHTULI
Enworldian Drow Deity
Symbol:
Black broken arrow
Home Plane: The underworld
Alignment: Chaotic Evil.
Portfolio:.Killing for sport and amusement. Assassins.
Worshippers: Patriarchal Drow communities.
Cleric Alignments: LE, NE, CE.
Domains: War, (New) Darkness, Evil
Favored Weapon: Long bow

Mishtuli is the prince of all demons in Drow cosmology. He represents the power of the masculine, especially as it pertains to war and destruction. He is a hunter with the head of a Dire wolf cloaked in darkness carrying a great dark longbow. According to tradition he is condemned to the underworld awaiting the end of the world when he will be permitted by the lawful gods to cover the earth in darkness. He is married to the fabled "first Drow" Lilitu.

The symbol of Mishtuli is a broken black arrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Jefe

First Post
My advice would be to break this up into several submissions. Fleshing out a half-drow template is one thing, and that might pass muster here. But much of the background of the Drow, taken directly from TSR and Wizards material that is not open content, probably won't. Further, a lot of it is imcompatible with Living EN World, as Lolth is not a deity here (at least, not yet).

orsal

LEW Judge
First, the drow statistics are already in the SRD (look under monsters), so there's no need to propose them. It looks like you didn't change anything (correct me if I missed anything), so I'm not sure why you're including them here.

For the half-drow, you suggest

spycat said:
Half Drow

Same stats as any other half elf. Light grayish skin. Silvery white hair

At the very least, shouldn't the half-elf's low-light vision be replaced by darkvision, like drow have?

The lengthy fluff after that should be axed. Besides the copyright and world-consistency issues El Jefe referred to, I don't see the point of a totally unoriginal background essay. If you want to draft something specific to LEW's drow, great, but do it from scratch. Otherwise, we can do without it.

spycat

First Post
orsal said:
First, the drow statistics are already in the SRD (look under monsters), so there's no need to propose them. It looks like you didn't change anything (correct me if I missed anything), so I'm not sure why you're including them here.

At the very least, shouldn't the half-elf's low-light vision be replaced by darkvision, like drow have?

The lengthy fluff after that should be axed. Besides the copyright and world-consistency issues El Jefe referred to, I don't see the point of a totally unoriginal background essay. If you want to draft something specific to LEW's drow, great, but do it from scratch. Otherwise, we can do without it.

ok i see what you mean about the superfluis stuff. i just wanted to err on the side of too much as aposed to too little info. as to whether some of the information is opencontent or not. i figured they wanted it out there. they put it on their websight. i guess im just not familier enough with the world to do a rewrite any justice yet.
as there were no other pc race proposals that i found i was sort of flying in the dark on this one. (please pardon the pun) this attept at a proposal is simply an attempt to get a character i created in the game. i really dig the idea of this character so i wanted to give it a try. if there is info on lew drow stats and culture already created please dirrect me to it so i can retool him
oh and for the darkvision for half drow. all the sources i was able to find show that half drow only have the low light vision available to any other half elf. i was more drawn to the character then the stats anyway. guess ill give this another shot.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Aren't Drow normally +1 LA?

You don't list that and that'd make a pretty powerful 1st level character. ... Also, it'd mean you couldn't play one, starting off.

orsal

LEW Judge
spycat said:
ok i see what you mean about the superfluis stuff. i just wanted to err on the side of too much as aposed to too little info. as to whether some of the information is opencontent or not. i figured they wanted it out there. they put it on their websight. i guess im just not familier enough with the world to do a rewrite any justice yet.
as there were no other pc race proposals that i found i was sort of flying in the dark on this one. (please pardon the pun) this attept at a proposal is simply an attempt to get a character i created in the game. i really dig the idea of this character so i wanted to give it a try. if there is info on lew drow stats and culture already created please dirrect me to it so i can retool him
oh and for the darkvision for half drow. all the sources i was able to find show that half drow only have the low light vision available to any other half elf. i was more drawn to the character then the stats anyway. guess ill give this another shot.

LEW rules are standard (SRD) rules, modified by proposals. Since no proposal (that I am aware of) has ever been made modifying the drow, LEW drow are exactly ordinary drow, stat-wise. But the cultural information on the drow isn't in the SRD, so we've got a blank slate as far as that is concerned. The same is true of all the standard races, though -- don't think we need to establish a detailed anthropology of any race before playing it!

If you're interested in creating a drow character, be aware that several months ago there was some debate about PCs of traditionally evil races. I don't recall if that was resolved -- maybe this would be a good time to establish a definitive LEW policy on what races are eligible for PCs?

As for darkvision: a half-elf's low-light vision is a result of the elven heritage. Since drow have darkvision instead of low-light vision, it only makes sense that the half-drow should be the same way. Maybe someone else has created a half-drow with low-light vision -- that doesn't mean we should do the same. Half-drow, if we create such a race, will be whatever the proposal creating them says.

spycat

First Post
orsal said:
As for darkvision: a half-elf's low-light vision is a result of the elven heritage. Since drow have darkvision instead of low-light vision, it only makes sense that the half-drow should be the same way. Maybe someone else has created a half-drow with low-light vision -- that doesn't mean we should do the same. Half-drow, if we create such a race, will be whatever the proposal creating them says.

ok then ill limit my proposal to creating a template for half drow and see what happens.

El Jefe

First Post
Pretty much, any SRD race is eligible for LEW. The sticking point is level adjustments. In order to bring a character into the game with a LA, you have to retire a character of a higher level (2 levels if I recall correctly, so if you want to play a +1 LA character, you must first play a LA 0 character to 3rd level, then retire that character).

As for evil characters and races, there is no limit on that. We have several evil characters already in the game. Basically, the world of LEW is more or less internally consistent in the respect that people don't run around casting Detect Alignment on every stranger they see, but if a character consistently acts in a certain manner, then that character will face the consequences, both positive and negative, of that behavior. That translates into, "Good luck getting into a party if you make a practice of backstabbing PCs".

Likewise, all humans are not neutral, all gnomes are not neutral good, and all orcs are not lawful evil. Most of them are, but most denizens of LEW are aware that there are exceptions, and that exceptions are more common among adventurers than they are in the general population. As for NPCs who hold racial biases, well, treat it as a role-playing opportunity.

My advice is to play an "easy" character for a few levels, get the feel of LEW, then retire your character and bring on your half-drow.

I wanted to add, that for cases of PCs of especially notorious races, we've talked about having a system of "travelling papers". Basically, your troll would carry around letters of reference from reputable PCs and/or NPCs to show the guard at the city gate. But so far, all that's been is talk, and I can't recall that we've had PCs who really push the envelope. We've had a goblin or two, a smattering of orcs and half-orcs, and that's been about it. The fact that we've yet to have a PC past 4th level also cuts down on the parade of mind-flayer wizards presenting themselves at the Red Dragon for employment. ;)

Last edited:

spycat

First Post
good idea jeffe i think thats what ill do
im still gonna propose the half drow as a pc race
but ill write up something easy to generate just
to get into the game for a bit.

spycat

First Post
ok so im running into a snag
how much info should i asume
in wrighting this proposal for