I made an NPC with a bag of devouring on his person...

SuperFlyTNT

First Post
when the pc rogue picked his pocket, he was hastily devoured. I did this to discourage my pc's from picking the pocket of EVERY single npc of note they run into. Was this mean?

Mr. Lobo

First Post
As long as you went through the obligatory 60% chance to close around the rougues hand/arm/whatever and the bag made its grapple check then I would say...

No.

If I were nice I might have thrown in a reflex save for the rougue to get only half eaten maybe. ;)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm not sure it's terribly plausible. Who would dangle something so dangerous to them off their belt?

If I were interested in pouch security, I'd have a magic mouth cast on the button that closes the pouch screams bloody murder when anyone other than the owner opens it. Same net effect, much less chance of losing a hand when you're drunk and looking for change to tip the barmaid.

SuperFlyTNT

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
I'm not sure it's terribly plausible. Who would dangle something so dangerous to them off their belt?

If I were interested in pouch security, I'd have a magic mouth cast on the button that closes the pouch screams bloody murder when anyone other than the owner opens it. Same net effect, much less chance of losing a hand when you're drunk and looking for change to tip the barmaid.

I feel the player couldnt play his charecter properly. I set up a potentially devastating situation. The best part is the npc told him "Hey thats my bag of devouring dont open it" and he did anyway.

Mr. Lobo

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:

Good point. We need more details about the NPC and why they would be motivated to carry the bag in the first place.

On another note...

In the past, didn't the bag of devouring deposit ALL things on another plane? I seem to remember reading an ecology article in "Dragon" on bags of devouring where objects and people were deposited on extradimensional floating islands of some sort. Maybe you can bend the 3.5 rules a little bit for your player and set up a new plot hook using this kind of scenario.

SuperFlyTNT

First Post
Mr. Lobo said:
Good point. We need more details about the NPC and why they would be motivated to carry the bag in the first place.

On another note...

In the past, didn't the bag of devouring deposit ALL things on another plane? I seem to remember reading an ecology article in "Dragon" on bags of devouring where objects and people were deposited on extradimensional floating islands of some sort. Maybe you can bend the 3.5 rules a little bit for your player and set up a new plot hook using this kind of scenario.

No way! I hated that charectar and I'm glad she's dead. The NPC? Well he's Trent Gordon Swashbuckler extroidanoire. I wrote him up loaded with magical items. He's the only high level NPC they are going to run into and he is there adventureing contact in sharn. He's going to be sending them on expeditions to xendrik. High cha, high int, low wis. Think Willy Wonka meets Captain Kirk.

Mr. Lobo

First Post
SuperFlyTNT said:
No way! I hated that charectar and I'm glad she's dead.

Well, if that's the case, I don't agree with intentionally killing off a PC unless both the player and the DM deemed it was in the best interest of the campaign.

SuperFlyTNT said:
The NPC?... High cha, high int, low wis. Think Willy Wonka meets Captain Kirk.

That certainly lends some plausibility to him carrying around a bag of devouring!

Anabstercorian

First Post
SuperFlyTNT said:
I feel the player couldnt play his charecter properly. I set up a potentially devastating situation. The best part is the npc told him "Hey thats my bag of devouring dont open it" and he did anyway.

Man, don't worry about it at ALL. He asked for it!

tonym

First Post
Mr. Lobo said:
...In the past, didn't the bag of devouring deposit ALL things on another plane? I seem to remember reading an ecology article in "Dragon" on bags of devouring where objects and people were deposited on extradimensional floating islands of some sort....

Yeh, that was a great article. It described a big, floating jellyfish-like monster that lived on another plane, and it fed via extra-dimensional mouths--i.e., bags of devouring.

The article went on to say that if a PC could capture such a beast and transport it back to his home plane, he might could use its 'mouths' as means of traveling to other dimensions. Pretty cool stuff.

:)
Tony M

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases