Island Empire Part 1, to Mermaid's Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Alexander

First Post
Michael Storm

Michael will get up from his chair, once again replacing his wine glass and folding his napkin. Casually adjusting his black slik and silver bullion, shirt he will say " I do not know about the others, Captin Marin, but I am ready."
For the DM only [sblock]Have i ever seen a black skinned indiviudal before or is it a rarity?[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

For Michael Storm only [sblock]You don't see them much in the Empire proper, but the Gnolls of Bastiander have slaves from civilazations across the vast Bastiander desert. You've heard of brown, black and red skinned individuals, but seen very few if any. When the slave trade was active many generations ago they were more common, but now they were largely freed during the eradicationist era and mixed with the general population. There are a few isolated groups, but mostly they just faded into the regular population.[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook - Scout/Mage Blade

For DM Only

[sblock]That's OK, I was mainly interested in getting in on the private texting -- feeling a bit left out, you know![/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

For Rook only [sblock]I understand, I'm beginning to wish I'd left that little tidbit out of my EN World tutorial. :([/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
OOC: Guys, sorry I let thing lag the last couple of days. I've been rather busy, but I hope to get Danar Tebbs' tale posted tonight after Flynn goes to bed.

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

Captain Marin rises, “Alright gentlemen, I know you are eager to hear what Danar can tell us about the attack on the Lorrianna Fare.” He makes his way back out to the hallway leaning heavily on his cane and with Greta in tow. You notice that Devon has straightened up the Butler’s pantry while you were in with Honager. You are ushered through the door at the end of the hall to a small, but well appointed bedroom. An old man lies in a bed propped up on pillows. He has obviously been through an ordeal. He has clearly been treated with both magical and herbal cures. His skin is peeling from severe sunburn, but the skin underneath looks fresh and healthy. He has several scars that seem fresh, but the wounds are healed. Marin greets him warmly, “Tebbsy old fellow, how are you today?” The man smiles thinly, but he is clearly weak. One side of his face droops noticeably. His words are a bit slurred and he seems to have to think about each word carefully as he says it. “I’m doing great Captain, I’ll be back at my duties in no time. All this rich food and laying about is going to ruin me for real man’s work.” Marin smiles, “Tebbs, these gentlemen are going to help take back what’s ours from those raiders. Please tell them what happened and answer their questions as best you can.” Tebbs looks you over and says, “Aye Aye Captain, where should I start.” Marin frowns in thought, tell them everything you can remember and anything that might be important.” The old sailor on the bed nods and pauses a moment to collect his thoughts.

“Well lads it was like this. We were sailing under a bit of a cloud. We were making the same run our sister ship the Daughter of Cambre has gone down on the previous fall. We were headed up to Icewatch. The trip up was uneventful, but as I say we all felt a bit off because of the other ship. In Icewatch Captain Allois made some good deals and tried to find any news of survivors from the storm.” He looks at Captain Marin before he continues, I seems to make some decision before he continues. “Allois was in a black mood on the way down despite the profits we stood to make. He kept to his cabin except for walking the decks late at night. It put us all in a right funk I tell you. Maybe we somehow sensed what was to happen.”

He pauses to drink a bit of water a glass beside his bed. It is quite a task for him in his current condition. “We were about a week on the downward run from Icewatch when it happened.” He shudders a bit, “I was coming up on deck to start my watch when I heard a bit of commotion. As I cleared the stairs, I just caught a glimpse of something coming toward me. I was a weapon of some sort I guess, because that’s the last thing I remember until I woke up on deck laid out with a row of corpses. I was still pretty woozy, like I was coming off a three day drunk. Anyway, I managed to crawl into an empty cabin and hide for a bit. There weren’t many on board, just enough to work the rigging and keep her afloat. I was in and out of consciousness. I think a couple of days passed at least. I managed to pull myself together and get into a supply locker. I managed to get some rope and canvas as well as a few tools. I cobbled together a raft from a couple of barrels. It took me a couple more days because I kept falling out. The prize crew must have kept to their stations, because I hardly saw or heard them the whole time. I did hear a few voices once. They were talking about Mermaid’s rest and I’m sure I heard Captain Allois’ voice. He and several of the crew must have still been alive, because there hadn’t been many bodies on the deck. I guess there was another ship, but I never got a look at her. Finally, I managed to collect up a bit of rainwater and some ship’s biscuits and set sail on my raft.” He grins, “she wasn’t the finest ship I’ve ever sailed on. It was rough going I’ll tell you. I was a sea for a week, before I finally caught sight of a piece of land and manage to get ashore. I had to deal with rough seas and even a couple of sharks, but I new I just had to get back to Captain Marin.” Captain Marin pats Tebbs on the shoulder and you see a wetness in his eyes. Tebbs’ voyage must have been harrowing indeed given his present condition.

Captain Marin speaks with his usual bluster, “Well lads, what do you think about this fine sailor, how many others could have done what he did and make it back alive? Do you have any questions for him?”

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Rook - Scout/Mage Blade

"As brave a tale as I've ever heard! I hope to aquit myself half so well if I'm ever in such a situation!"

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter/Master Thrower

"Glad to finally make your aquaintance, personally Tebbs. I am Radoon. I expect it was night when you finally launched your raft? Were you able to look back and see anything different about, sorry I didn't catch the name of your ship, or the other one...flags they were flying, way the ships looked...that kind of thing?"

Fo DM only

[sblock]Scott, being that my character is a sailor, if in your plan you want us to ask anything specific or if questioning him may help but I, Mike, can not think of what to ask, help me out. Thanks.[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

Tebbs coughs a bit and repositions himself carefully before continuing. He is obviously very weak on his left side. "Aye, I did slip off the ship just after dusk hoping to be well away before it got light again. I didn't see any sign of damage to the Lorrainna Fare as I left her, but as I said my raft wasn't especially seaworthy, so I didn't have much time for sight seeing. I knew I had to be over the horizon before sun rise. I did not get a look at the pirate ship, but she must have been close by. The Lorrainna Fare was still flying the Marin and Son flag and the Cambrean standard a couple of days before, but I didn't look as I left her. I did notice one thing that was odd. Once I was away from the Fare I realized something that had been nagging at me. The ship had had a scent of decay about her. I guess they hadn't bothered to bury the dead. I had been living with it until it had faded into the background, but once I was away I noticed the salt of the sea again rather than the stink of death about the ship."

For Radoon only [sblock]No special knowledge required. I'm not exactly knowledgeable on the minutia of sailing either. There are a couple of hints in the stories that Marin and Tebbs told, but you are unlikely to be able to put it all together until you get a chance to get out and gather a bit more info from other sources.[/sblock]

J. Alexander

First Post
michael Storm (warlock)

Michael will excuse himself and take a seat by moving a comfortable chair next to the be if there is not already one, and have a seat next to Mr. Tebbes. "Mister Tebbes, I know you are not feeling the best but if you can manage to answer a few more questions I would appreciate it. Now before I start, I dont want you to feel pressured about having an immediate answer, if the answer pops of later in the conversation, then give it to me then, or should it come to you aftger we sail, just send it by messenger." Before we get started, can I get you some water or anyting?" Turning to look at Captain Marin, MIchael will ask "Captain, could I impose upon you to send for a chart of the area where the ship was taken and the propoesed route that the ship was taking back to her home port?"

Turning back to Mr Tebbes, Michael will say "Shall we begin Mr. Tebbes?"
1. Upon his return to the ship at Icewatch, did you notice a change in the Captain's behavior?

2. Did he start to keep unusal hours? Did he seem to be in a foul or distracted mood? Did he have trouble rembering the hands names and simple nautical facts?

3. Did the ship seem to have an silence about it either before, during or after the attack?

4. Was there any strange weather patterns or unexpected squalls?

5. Were there any deaths or unusally happens before the ship was taken?

6. Did you notice a cloud, a wind, a shark, etc. following you or in close promiety to the ship at various times before it was taken?

7. When the ship was taken, did you recongize anyother voices besides that of the Captain?

8. Did the Captain mention or you observe any special or unusal trades he made?

Michael will then pause the questiong and allow Tebbes to answer at his own pace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads