Island Empire Part 1, to Mermaid's Rest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

Morwyn realizes he is looking at something familiar afterall.

For Morwyn only [sblock]Very good, it is indeed a heavily modified Rubenix.[/sblock]

OOC: Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

mleibrock

First Post
Radoon - Mariner/Fighter

When the captain slaps my back in greeting, I'll grab is other forearm and return the warm too-long in coming hello. Bring him nearer in an almost hug. You know what I'm trying to get at, it's hard to write. I very friendly hello for a long since seen friend.

J. Alexander

First Post
Michael Storm (warlock)

As the party semi gathers towards the windows and Captain Honager, Michael will resume sitting in his chair, sipping on that oh so excellent white wine.

For the DM[sblock]As the others are distracted, i will use detect magic to find out about what they have on them that mite be magical as well as in the room. This is an at will function so no visible sign will be noticable[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

For Michael Storm only [sblock]I don't have final drafts of characters for anyone, but Morwyn (James), so you are welcome to look at his sheet in the Rogues Gallery. I'll have to decide how much stuff in the room is magical and post this afternoon. As the other character sheets are posted you can assume Michael knows what is magical on them. However, most of them are not wearing their main weapons and armor right now.[/sblock]

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

Visibly surprised, "It's the Rubinex! What have you done to her? And, Captain, what are you trying to accomplish by flying the flag of every known soverign nation, leige lord, and merchant company? I wouldn't be surprised if the banner of a landlocked country was among the lot."

Morwyn's voice quickly progresses from amazement, through indignent, to puzzlement. It's readily apparent that Morwyn is one of those painfully honest individuals who doesn't, or perhaps can't, filter his words with a mind to others' sensibilities.

For the DM only
[sblock]I was expecting to see the Rubinex. I'd have been astounded if the Captain wasn't keeping her under a close eye while she's 'up on blocks', so to speak[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

Old Honager grins delightedly at Morwyn's response. "Aye lad their could be a landlocked country in that lot somewhere and maybe even a flag or two from places that don't exist as contries anymore. The rest of you are welcome to have a look."

OOC: You may all view the spoiler at the following post if you choose to look through the telescope.

http://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=2084448&postcount=59

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

For Michael Storm only [sblock]Okay, in the room there is minor protection/preservation type magic on the chart table, some of the books and even a few of the stuffed animal heads. Greta has a magic item hidden in her skirts--could be a wand or dagger--definately offensive magic of some sort. Honager is wearing magic rings and has something potent in his desk--could be more than one item or one really powerful item. He is also wearing some sort of protective item under his sweater. The harpoon above the fireplace is a magic weapon of some power--at least +3. There are four magical books on the shelves--some sort of communication magic. One of the paintings on the wall has some minor magic to it--you suspect the seascape changes to reflect the seasons. The circled cross of the church of heaven is in fact a blessed holy symbol. The balcony doors have some minor protective or alarm type magic on them. The fireplace has some sort of minor protective magic on it--perhaps to keep sparks from flying out?

OOC: Sorry I can't tell you more, but you, Mike and Mike have yet to finish your characters. Maybe I should start docking your experience points until I have a final draft? :]
[/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Hotel of the White Wake

Once everyone who is interested has a look through the telescope Captain Marin addresses you. “Do you like my little charade? She may be the ugliest scow on the inner sea, but she’ll serve.” Greta gets a look of dismay on her face as Honager pulls a pipe from one of the drawers on the desk and begins to fill it. “Quit making eyes at me lass, a man needs a pipe for proper storytelling.” He continues with the pipe. “This may take a while to explain. Have a seat where you can and smoke if you wish. Greta won’t bite you.” He lets out a half laugh half cough that does nothing to ease the look on Greta’s face.

“Now here’s the tale. My son was returning from the Icewatch run when his ship, the Lorrainna Fare, was apparently seized by pirates.” It takes an effort of will not to look at the portrait of the homely woman for whom the ship is named. “She was hauling a fairly mundane cargo of hides and skins. She did have a few of the magical hunting weapons that the region is famous for aboard, but not so much that she would be a particular target.” He manages to get the pipe lit with a tindertwig and a rich aroma of fine pipeweed begins to fill the room. With the doors open it isn’t overpowering, but the afternoon heat is starting to creep into the room making it a bit uncomforatable. “It may or may not be relevant that she was in the same waters where her sister ship the Daughter of Cambre, went down in a storm last year. The Daughter of Cambre was in route to Icewatch making a late season run.”

“Anyway, we know what happened because one the crew managed to survive and escape, a tough old salt named Danar Tebbs. Tebbsey is a good man who’s been with me for nigh on 40 years. I’d trust him with my life, so I believe what he had to say. They had made good time on the run up and Allois, my Son, had made some pretty favorable trades, so it should have been a profitable venture. Anyway, they struck just before the watch changed and Tebbsey says no alarm was raised. He was just coming up on deck to start his watch when he was struck down by a powerful blow to the head. He was apparently left for dead and laid out on deck with the other corpses to be buried at sea. He woke up and managed to slip into a hiding place. He was hurt bad and drifted in and out for some time, maybe even 3 days before he regained his wits. He says the prize crew aboard the Lorrainna Fare was very small, so he was able to stay out of sight. He managed to tie a couple of empty kegs together and slip off the ship. He had a rough time of it wounded as he was and out on the sea alone. He managed to get to land and make his way here to me just over a week ago. He’s here in the Hotel with me under the care of a healer and he can answer a few questions when we are done here if you like.” He coughs a bit and holds out the now empty brandy snifter for Greta to refill, which she does reluctantly. Once he gets settled again he continues. “Its like this, old Tebbs was able to learn a few things. At least some of the pirates were northerners, from the frozen sea, at least based on their clothes. He never got very close to them. He had a bit of good news. He says the number of bodies laid out on deck didn’t come close to the number of crew aboard. He figures at least some crewmen were taken as prisoners. He also says he heard my Son’s voice a few days after the raid. Now I realize that’s no guaranty that they are still alive, but I didn’t get where I am today, but leaving my people behind.” Fierceness comes over him at this point and you can see that there is more to Honager Marin than just a jolly old fellow. “We’ve got to try and do something for those men. I’ll not have any half-frozen sons of a walrus taking my ship and my men without some payback.” He pounds his cane on the floor hard enough to rattle some of the bric-a-brac and Greta starts forward apparently intending to try and calm the old man, but he wards her off with a sharp gesture of cane and continues. “I want my ship back and I want my Son. You men are gonna do that for me, or God’s help me, I’ll get in a row boat and go out there and take back what’s mine with my bare hands. I spent nearly 4 score years getting where I am and I am not letting these jumped up wharf rats take it all away.” Again he pounds the cane on the floor.

Even Terry Lockspar seems roused from his stupor by the old man’s passion. “Now, Tebbs says he heard them talking about Mermaid’s Rest. After some very expensive divinations I have discovered that the Lorrainna Fare is indeed at Mermaid’s Rest. A powerful caster is trying to keep that a secret, but I guess my money pouch is fatter that the pirates’ because after buying 2 Arch-Mages, a High Priest and a Great Druid we managed to break through the ward long enough to confirm the ship was there and so was my Son.” Your mind reels at what assembling such a company of casters might have cost, not even considering the force of will required in getting such a disparate group to cooperate. “Anyway, I thought about calling in some favors and having the Imperial Navy raid Mermaid’s rest, but a place like that has too many ties to sailors in the Navy. I’m sure the Rest is full of cousins, uncles, and in-laws to numerous to mention that will be informed that a raid is in the offing. Any trace of the Fare and her crew would be long gone before the Navy even weighed anchor.” Terry stirs from his place on the couch leaning forward to speak in a somewhat alcohol slurred voice, “I still think it’s a better idea to give the Navy a chance. This plan of yours…” he just sort of trails off shaking his head. Captain Marin looks a bit annoyed by the interruption. “We’ve been over this Terry, I’m still the Captain around here and this is the way I want it done.”

Marin focuses his attention back on you. “As I was saying, I think our best bet is to slip in and see what’s really going on at Mermaid’s Rest. Try and find out what the pirates are up to and see about a rescue. That’s where that ugly floating rag-picker’s shop out there comes in.” He points his cane toward the open doors and the dry dock beyond. “I figure a scow like that can stop in at the Mermaid’s Rest without rousing more than mild curiosity. Her disguise is the very gaudiness of her. No one is going to expect such an eye-popping mess of a ship of being on a secret mission. I had the Rubinex stripped to the keel for refitting of her upper works before this happened. She’s actually older than I am if you can believe it. She was about 10 years overdue for an overhaul anyway. Those fine fellows out there turned a bare keel and what timbers they could salvage into that in only a week’s time. Of course I could have bought a battleship for what such expeditious labor cost me.” He grins at the notion of it and seeing that his pipe has gone out begins to fumble around for his pouch. “Anyway gentlemen, if you choose to help me in this I’d like you to sail that fine vessel to Mermaid’s Rest and see about getting my Son and my ship back. I’m willing to pay handsomely.” He reaches into a drawer and pulls out a handful of letters of credit having Greta pass them out. Each of you is handed one in the amount of 3000 gold pieces drawn on a reputable Crosscroft bank. “That, gentlemen, is for listening to my story and coming to my aid when I called. I’ll give each of you another just like it if you can recover my Son and the Lorrianna Fare.” He grins in sudden mirth and points his cane out the doors again, “The Rumpled Bedsheet sails on the morning tide, will ye be on her?” He cackles with laughter at the name he has chosen for the refitted Rubenix. You look at the letter of credit in your hands mentally calculating that your net worth has just increased by nearly a fourth as you ponder the old man’s offer. Will you sail for him on the morning tide…

Erland

First Post
Morwyn

There was never really any question; I was committed from the moment I got the Captain's message. I'd sail for him without the pay. I'm not going to give it back, mind you, but neither will I cash it in except to cover any expenses I can't handle out of pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads