Island Empire OOC, (Closed)

Scotley

Hero
Posting Guidelines for the Island Empire game.

Please follow these simple rules for posting in character. In the title of each post put your character name and class until we all figure out who’s who. Put things your character does in plain text, things your character says in quotes “”, and things your character thinks in italics. Some people like to put the things they say in color as well. You are welcome to do so, just make sure it is something I can read on a black background. We will be using http://invisiblecastle.com// for rolls, which will be posted in the text. I’ll explain how to use http://invisiblecastle.com/ below. All metagame and rules info should be at the bottom of your post. For example a post might look something like this.

Scotley Human Dungeon Master

Scotley sidesteps in front of the demon and swings (1d20+6=22) his long sword hitting (1d8+1=3) the demon a glancing blow saying “take that you fiend.” He readies his shield for another assault from the demon thinking, Come on and die already. He listens (1d20+4=23) intently for the sounds of his allies approaching.

OOC: 5’ move to the left. Listen check to hear help on the way. AC currently 20 due to shield of faith spell. Current hp 16.

Anyway, that's the way attacks, damage, and skill checks are rolled using www.invisablecastle.com and information is conveyed. I will normally let you know what you need to hit and the results of skill checks. Sometimes I will roll skill checks in secret and you'll find out the results later, but when you want to do a skill you can typically roll it yourself.

To use the dice roller, go to http://invisiblecastle.com/ and choose 'roll dice' from the menu at the top. Type in the name of your character, normally you will only make one roll at a time, so leave 'number of rolls' box alone. Next put in the roll you want to make including modifiers. In the above example I did '1d20+6' for my attack roll. You can do some fairly complex rolls, for example a crit with sneak attack damage might look something like this '2d8+6+1d6'. In the 'note' box put the text you want associated with the roll for examples above I used 'swings', then 'hitting' and finally 'listens'. Next check the box labled 'format for EZBoard?'. Finally click on 'roll'.

You'll get a box that contains information something like this:

Scotleyrolls 1d20+2, getting [2,2] = (4)

throws

[*=http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=64916]throws (1d20+2=4)[/*]

but the '*' s will be the letters 'url'. So when I post it without the astarisks it looks like this:

throws (1d20+2=4)

Just copy this last line including all the bracketed stuff and paste it into the window where you are making your post to the boards. Only the word in the middle and the stuff in '( )' will be visable in your final post. Anyway the point of all this is that you may not have dice handy when you post and it keeps everyone honest. Go back up and click on one of the rolls I made above and you can see when I made it and also pull up my previous rolls to be sure I didn't roll repeatedly until I got one I liked. As an example you'll see that I re-rolled my damage against the demon to get a lower roll so I could make this example and use the phrase 'glancing blow' because I wrote this before I went back and made all the rolls. When you are posting you should open an extra window for invisable castle so you can switch back and forth to make and post your rolls.

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Cool, this is a good place for test posts. Its a good idea to post here since that also makes this a subscribed thread. BTW Mike and Mike, I like your avatars. Cool choices. I can't make up my mind about one, so I have yet to pick one.

Feel free to ask question about using the forums or character creation here as well.

Scotley

Hero
One aspect of ENWorld I didn't say anything about is the 'story hour', which is a forum for posting gaming experiences in a story format. Lots of people post a sort of journal of the happenings in their home games and some people write up the play by post games here too. I have no plans to do a story hour myself, but I thought I'd mention it in case the more literary minded amoung you desire to post your own games or even the exploits of your charaters in this game. It can be fun to read if you have the time.

Additionally, if you find you enjoy play by post there are often new game openings in the 'talking the talk' forum. I warn you it can be frustrating getting into a game. James and I developed full characters for a game and the DM just vanished with no explaination. It was more than a little annoying. The other problem is that games fill up pretty fast. I've watched 6 players fill a forgotten realms game in less than an hour. Most of the players here are really doing their gaming on company time, so frequently new games are posted on Monday morning. In truth, to get into games takes a lot of watching the talking the talk forum and a bit of luck. Hopefully, some of you will choose to start your own games here once you get a feel for the boards. They seem a bit complicated at first. It has taken me almost a year to get really comfortable with them and I still learn new things, in fact I just figured out how to do the spoiler tags today. :eek:

Scotley

Hero
Guys, I edited my above post about dice rolling. Invisable Castle has a funny URL, no www at the beginning. Sorry for the confusion. The links should work now.

Erland

First Post
Testing signature

I've posted my character in the rogue's gallery Scott set up. I also entered a link in my signature line (something Scott suggested) and I'm posting this to see how well that works.

Scotley

Hero
Ouch, natural one, I hope that's not a harbinger of things to come. :D

Anyway, you can use the detailed view like that or if you click 'format for ezboard' you can just copy the url at the bottom of the results box to get the sort of output that you can insert directly into the text like I did above. A lot of people prefer the more detailed output you used. It doesn't really matter to me as long as you are happy with it. Of course, just like a face to face game, when the dice are against you, you are f***ed. :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases