cut scenes

punkorange

First Post
I was just wondering how many DM's out there use cut scenes. I have used a cut-scene maybe once, but I can't seem to find a way to use a cut-scene that "feels right" for me.

Any of you care to give an example of how you have used cut scenes?

Crothian

First Post
I'm not a fan of them., They include info the players have really no way of knowing as the players aren;'t there. So, it can be neat froma story standpoint, but then the players have to make sure they don't meta game. I perfer to have the players learn or figure out the information themselves then revealing it in a cut scene.

punkorange

First Post
I think this is one reason cut-scene's don't feel right for me. I would be willing to run a one-shot with the players running different characters at a different point in the same story. Kind of like how final fantasy switches characters around sometimes.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
If the players are included in the cutscene, yeah I do it sometimes. I think of it more as free-form roleplaying. I use it to push the story along, mostly, and I let the players have their input.

Like if they're walking along in a town, I might do a cut scene where a noble parades through the road with his entourage. I'll describe the whole thing as it passes, cinematically, but if a player would be like, "Pfft, I wouldn't just watch, I'd (do action)" then I'll add it to the cutscene.

A lot of DMs I've seen have cutscenes so they can control the story and they take away player choice. I don't like that.

pdkoning

First Post
I don't like cut scenes, maybe because I played with a DM who used cutscenes to move the story (and characters) in the direction he wanted it (them) to go.We had no options, could not take actions as things arround us happened, when we could take actions they were severely limited, otherwise the next cut scene would not work.

Maybe with a very experienced DM it works out better.

Quickleaf

Legend
Cut scenes work in computer games, not in face-to-face games. I like to use lots of imagery in my descriptions, and I've found players tend to get bored quickly. How in the world do I expect them to sit patiently through two minutes of me relating a story that doesn't even involve them directly?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I use WRITTEN cut scenes sometimes as introductions to game sessions. I try to post them a day or so before the session on our Yahoo! group page, and I bring a printed copy to the game in case people missed it. They never really advance the story much, just provide a quick hook for the upcoming session. For example:

Episode 101:

Doing its best to ride the icy winds, the lone crow flaps in weary strokes through the pass, keeping as close to the crust of the snow as possible, squawking as the gale snags it from one moment to another, still pumping its wings as it descends into the valley where the mist-ringed mountain looms over the ruined village.

The black bird pays no attention to the half-buried buildings and only pauses a second on the edge of the dark mist, plunging in with an angry cry, darting into the long hall filled with strange statues, through an open stone door and spiralling down a dark, icy shaft.

Far below, faint light glimmers up, and the crow plunges downward, circling once over a number of not-quite-completely frozen corpses before, with another angry squawk, lifting up and continuing deeper into the cavern.

The crow flaps past tall columns, a strange rotunda of some sort, through open doors, down a long hall lined with floating corpses and into a vast chamber with tables, bodies, a massive grey pillar and four weary-looking people. It calls out loudly a few times, ensuring it has everyone's undivided attention, and settles on the lip of a basin.

And speaks.

"I am Kuro. Message from Nakayo. Do you have the weapon?"

Episode 104:

The streets of Highpass are frozen.

The peaks surrounding the deep valley where the town sits are barren and rocky, with grey strands of cobwebby clouds drifting past their sharp edges. The town huddles against a sheer cliff face, ramshackle buildings leaning to and fro as though wincing from the cold winds that hiss along streets of icy mud.

Few pedestrians brave the night-time cold, bundled against the wind and hurrying from one poorly-lit intersection to the next. Highpass is not a city of blazing streetlights and paved roads; only the occasional guttering lantern offers much relief from the inky blackness of the mountain night.

Even the circle of warm glow that surrounds the massive arrangement of canvas, cables and tall poles that forms the strange structure known as Tom's seems shaky. Paper lanterns sway from every available niche, but their cheery flickering only serves to accentuate the dark and cold all around.

Inside, the wind and cold remain present, but held at bay. Roaring fires leap and dance in the drippings from the many cuts of meat turning on spits above them, and mugs, those empty and those brimming with foam, clink and clatter on rough-hewn tables. Voice rise in greeting, or hysterical merry-making, and anywhere you turn, a different set of musicians offer competing tunes for the masses. The gently heaving roof glows red from the fires, creaking and sighing, reminding all of the savage elements outside.

Tom inhales slowly, expanding his already considerable girth as he considers the question. He lets out the breath in a long, sad sigh. His eyes have little of the sparkle and mischief they once had. The past year has been hard in Highpass, and even the merriment in his tavern has an edge of desperation in it, the feel of a last wild effort to deny the coming of the end.

"You'll have a hard time finding a guide into Yshaka, my friends. All the Yshakans left town a week ago. Right after the murders."

Steel_Wind

Legend
I use "cutscenes" in my campaign journal to help flesh out the story and provide information.

While in a few rare occasions I have used them in-game, I tend to think that they usually do not work in that environment.

Heathen72

Explorer
"...and there is no one left in the city who can stop us!"

punkorange said:
I was just wondering how many DM's out there use cut scenes. I have used a cut-scene maybe once, but I can't seem to find a way to use a cut-scene that "feels right" for me.

Any of you care to give an example of how you have used cut scenes?

I've given a paladin in my main campaign "visions" which enable me to forshadow upcoming events or introduce important NPC. Given that these visions are usually in the form of dreams I can make them as obscure or detailed as I like. I use them to instill a sense or foreboding, drop a subtle clue, or as a call to arms for the players.

As cut scenes are essentially theactrical devices, I try to choose as dramatic a moment as possible (an argument between the villains who oppose the PC's, a rallying cry from the enemy's general to her troops as they are about to invade the PC's home city, etc) and I try act them out with as much flair as I can muster - there is nothing as pointless as a lacklustre cut scene. I try to define clearly for myself what it is I want to reveal and then endeavour to place it in the climax of the cut scene. You can find good examples of this being done well in just about any episode of Buffy, particularly when they are introducing the new BBEG. It wouldn't hurt in your own cut scenes to imagine the music swelling to a crescendo as you come to the climax of the scene (where you reveal that the current villain is being aided by Agzarinath, who the PC's were sure they had killed...)

When done well, cut scenes make the world seem like a much bigger place - not one that just revolves around the PC's.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
I have used Cut Scenes to decent effect. The big quandry is that they might give away too much story. In the past I have worked around this in a couple of ways.

One way is to give the players the cut scene and make sure there is a way to feed them the information in-game later on. One cut scene I used was a city being overrun by an undead army. I wanted to give some serious flavor to the assault for the players to appreciate. In game, the PCs soon met some of the refugees that escaped from the city. These people were able to describe in bare detail what happened, but not with the same flavor that the players knew.

Another way to use cut scenes is when the PCs/Players are pretty sure something nasty has/is about to occur. They know there is a BBEG plotting something nasty so I might give a cut scene with lackeys being given final instructions. Of course, the BBEG isn't fully visible and the instructions are missing those crucial bits that the lackeys obviously already know, but there isn't any relevant information leak. The players don't know the full details, but they have been given a little acknowledgement that their suspicions are on the right track.

This works better at lower levels because the PCs don't have the divniation magic that would let them find this information yet. It can be tricky to pull it off convincingly and I use it sparingly. It is also part of my GM bag o tricks to bring focus back to the group.

Like if you are renewing the game after a hiatus and want to draw them back into the story, this might be a good way to begin the session. When everyone around the table has caught a case of silliness and you want to bring things a little more on track, you might be able to use a cut scene to draw the players back into the game. Right at the end of a session is a possibility as well. Do not use a cut scene when the players are already strongly engaged and wanting to get on with the game. If they are that eager to play, damn it you should play! :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases