Monks & Brass Knuckles

Oryan77

Adventurer
If a Monk used brass knuckles, does he do damage with just the brass knuckles, or does he do his normal damage with an additional damage from the brass knuckles? Do the brass knuckles work as if he's using a weapon and no longer using his fists for damage?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Where are the rules on brass knuckles? I don't recall seeing them. I'd rule it'd be normal damage, period. If used by someone without Improved Unarmed Strike, they'd let you do real damage.

smootrk

First Post
I would rule normal weapon damage, and no special monk attacks with brass knuckles.

As someone who practices martial arts, a person uses his/her hands in a multitude of ways while hitting, striking, and defending. Using brass knuckles would severly limit the monk's martial attacks... might do more damage, but otherwise hampers somewhat.

Now, you could always have a monk with brass knuckles as a special monk combat style, but as a DM, I would limit some other monk abilities while using them.

MerakSpielman

First Post
smootrk said:
I would rule normal weapon damage, and no special monk attacks with brass knuckles.

As someone who practices martial arts, a person uses his/her hands in a multitude of ways while hitting, striking, and defending. Using brass knuckles would severly limit the monk's martial attacks... might do more damage, but otherwise hampers somewhat.
Agreed.

Adam Gillis

First Post
I would rule the dice damage above your normal monk weapon... such as 1st level monk 1d4 and for a monk brass knuckles would do a 1d6. And so on and so on.

Agreed. I’m more than a little rusty, but I think I’d be hindered more than anything else by a pair of brass knuckles.

Also, considering the monk’s preternatural abilities, they’d hit harder than any brass knuckle or cestus could.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I was into Tae Kwon Do, so mostly I am used to kicking people. But a lot of the strikes we did do with our hands were (theoretically) aimed at specific points (like the throat or solar plexis) and I'm not sure brass knuckles would be helpful.

The other thing is martial artists toughen their feet and hands (and wrists). We would have to kick a cinder block wall. It wasn't so much to toughen the feet, but if you used the right technique, it wouldn't hurt. But you've likely seen pictures of martial artists in movies punching sand

Remove ads