The closest to D&D without magic

chokto

First Post
The Iron Lore got me thinking, and I'd like to ask you guys; What's the best setting without magic or with the least magic out there? But with a good Fantasy flare, not just historical rpg. Is there something close to D&D without magic??

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
fantasy flare with no magic is a stretch.

BUT, I did think of something close: GURPS. You could play GURPS Vikings or Arthurian (or many others) without spell casting but with other fantasy elements--those sourcebooks are good at giving lost of ideas on how to tailor things for varying degrees of fantasy.

Of course, you are stuck with the GURPS rules set...maybe D20 modern/past could be substituted.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
I can thing of at least four fantasy or fantasy-like subgenres that fit these criteria. Unfortunately, the widespread influence of D&D has choked out most of these options in terms of published RPGs. A system like Conan the Roleplaying Game, d20 Modern/Past or Grim Tales could handle them in d20, though.

Alternate history.

Sci-fi with a fantasy gloss hiding the technological backstory.

Supernatural (but not magical) horror ala vampires, ghosts and werewolves.

A world without any magical effects but with different history and geography from ours.

Mallus

Legend
MoogleEmpMog said:
Sci-fi with a fantasy gloss hiding the technological backstory.
Reminds me that there was a GURPS "Book of the New Sun" supplement.

Of course, there were probably GURPS "Waiting for Godot" and "The Joy of Cooking" supplements...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Joshua Dyal said:
Well, maybe if it's literally no magic, but fantasy flair with little magic isn't so hard. That's what my homebrew is like.

There's low magic, scarce magic, pseodo magic (psionics), even PCs without magic (your case?), but NO magic: I still say it is a very small genre--though I did offer some suggestions.

Lasher Dragon

First Post
Isn't there a setting based on "The Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin? Seems to me that would fit the bill quite nicely... have never played it or even looked at it myself though, so I would get an opinion from someone who has experienced the game itself. I have read all the books multiple times however, and it seems that it would fit what you want nearly perfectly.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
chokto said:
whats your opinion of D20 modern/PAST? I belive the comes out this month, has anyone seen it?

I love d20 Modern. It's easily my favorite set of d20 core rules. Most people prefer Grim Tales, which runs off a similar system, but I like Modern better between the two, and consider it much, much better for a newer player or GM.

d20 Past has altogether too much magic, too many adventures and too little content overall for me to reccomend it absolutely.

Remove ads