Is there a Giant Bat? / Help me build a were-bat

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Okay, this may be a case of selective blindness...

I've been looking through the SRD, and all I can find are the Bat (Diminutive) and the Dire Bat (Large). Are there stats for a Giant Bat (somewhere in between, perhaps Small) in the SRD/Monster Manual/anywhere?

I suppose I could advance the Bat until it gains a couple size categories, if no Giant Bat exists anywhere, but I thought I'd ask before I plunge into that...

Edit to add: And of course now I notice the Bat doesn't list anything under "Advancement"... :\

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Lasher Dragon said:
Sort of like a flying fox?
Well, what I want is basically a Bat, but bigger. I'd Advance a standard Bat if there were any guidelines for it, but the Bat doesn't list any. Perhaps I should just add 1HD and make it Small? That would seem to fit with the Rat-->Dire Rat conversion...
It is surprising if there isn't something like that within the monster manuals...
Well, I don't have any Monster Manuals with me, just access to the SRD, which doesn't have anything but the Bat and Dire Bat (a Large creature and much too strong for my needs). Hopefully someone with access to their books can let me know of there is such a bat in one of the MMs...

cantrip

Explorer
I couldn't find any small ones, but there is a medium night hunter bat in Monsters of Faerun and a medium hunting bat(under desmodu bat)in MM2.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
cantrip said:
I couldn't find any small ones, but there is a medium night hunter bat in Monsters of Faerun and a medium hunting bat(under desmodu bat)in MM2.
Thank you, cantrip! I'll take a look at these when I get home. I may be able to use one of them straight out of the book if their HD aren't too great. :)

diaglo

Adventurer
Lord Pendragon said:
Thank you, cantrip! I'll take a look at these when I get home. I may be able to use one of them straight out of the book if their HD aren't too great. :)

check Dungeon Magazine too. they have desmodu riding bats in one adventure.

Pinotage

Explorer
Other options include a Bat Swarm (3.5 MM, CR 2), Werebat (Monsters of Faerun, CR 4), Fire Bat (MM II, CR 3), Mobat (Tome of Horrors I, CR 3), Doombat (Tome of Horrors I, CR 4), and the Deep Bats from Monster of Faerun (CR1-3). The highest CR bat I could find is the Sporebat from Fiend Folio clocking in at CR 10.

Pinotage

Remove ads