Animal Characters

mmadsen

First Post
Could someone explain how and why anyone would think this is market research, and why anyone would care? (It's not, or it wasn't, but now that everyone's demanding a Wind in the Willows game...)

hong

WotC's bitch
mmadsen said:
Could someone explain how and why anyone would think this is market research, and why anyone would care? (It's not, or it wasn't, but now that everyone's demanding a Wind in the Willows game...)

Replace "market research" with "spam", and I think you get close to the intended meaning. Because I haven't had my coffee today, and so am still relatively mellow:

1) Flooding a forum by starting lots of threads is bad form. This is especially true in a medium like a web board, where thread ownership is a concept taken seriously.

2) Constant editorialising (as opposed to a consistent editorial _position_) is bad form. Most people are quite happy to play D&D the way they've always played it, and don't need others telling them that they should try something different.

3) Taking yourself too seriously is especially bad form.

It would appear that you're in danger of being seen as an evangelist, whether or not that's what you intended. As a rule, people tend not to like evangelists.

Lighten up, d00d.

WSmith

First Post
What happened to EN World, folks?

Someone starts posting threads to incite creativity and disscussion, and then everyone stats bashing them. Just because mmadsen has several threads going at once, all about RPGing, doesn't mean he is trying to gather free market research. It could mean that he (or anyone for that matter) is just feeling like disscussing these things.

I guess the friendly days of Old Eric's Happy Ex-Community are officially over. If you don't like somone's posts just ignore the darn thing. Half of the stuff on the General Disscussion forum is utter trash, (as good a word as I can use in Eric's Grandmother's prescence) so I don't even bother to read it, no less post to it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
WSmith said:
What happened to EN World, folks?

Someone starts posting threads to incite creativity and disscussion, and then everyone stats bashing them. Just because mmadsen has several threads going at once, all about RPGing, doesn't mean he is trying to gather free market research. It could mean that he (or anyone for that matter) is just feeling like disscussing these things.

I agree with WSmith on this.

I for one have enjoyed mmadsens various posts and have found they interesting and entirely relevant to the purpose of the boards - to talk about RPG stuff.

So mmasden keep at it.

As to the topic - I've had a character play an intelligent dolphin Ranger (all Dolphins imc are intelligent - Porpoise stats with Int 10) -I replaced the Ambi and 2 weapon feat with Aquatic and Sonar and a Still Spell feat (in exchange for a no hands disadvantage)

Luckily it was Island based and had alot of time in the water (either in boats or underwater breathing). I also had a druid who could (conviniently) interpret the Dolphin clicks and whistles - very Flipper with a touch of Man from Atlantis.

Animals work just choose the right feats and allow them to use 'Monster' Feats too (eg a Dog could have Improved Hold or Pounce) ...

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Dolphin Ranger

I disagree with WSmith on this, but that's immaterial.

It's a good thing the dolphin was a ranger or he wouldn't have had the feats to replace with Sonar. It would suck to be a dolphin without Sonar.

I would probably write up a new dolphin race and leave the class alone.

MMadsen would likely recognize this as good d20 game design, though.

Tonguez said:

I agree with WSmith on this.

I for one have enjoyed mmadsens various posts and have found they interesting and entirely relevant to the purpose of the boards - to talk about RPG stuff.

So mmasden keep at it.

As to the topic - I've had a character play an intelligent dolphin Ranger (all Dolphins imc are intelligent - Porpoise stats with Int 10) -I replaced the Ambi and 2 weapon feat with Aquatic and Sonar and a Still Spell feat (in exchange for a no hands disadvantage)

Luckily it was Island based and had alot of time in the water (either in boats or underwater breathing). I also had a druid who could (conviniently) interpret the Dolphin clicks and whistles - very Flipper with a touch of Man from Atlantis.

Animals work just choose the right feats and allow them to use 'Monster' Feats too (eg a Dog could have Improved Hold or Pounce) ...

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Re: Re: Re: Animal Characters

Awakened animals are still animals, not magical beasts

Lord of the Iron Fortress Spoiler:

Awakened dire tigers that have been affected by animal growth

PenguinKing said:

I believe it's been errata'd that Awakened animals are Magical Beasts. Even if the spell doesn't change their stats at that particular moment, their current type affects advancement if you're allowing them to advance in HD non-classed - and Magical Beast advancement is right up there with fighter, save for feats and skill points. Throw in bonus feats and decent skill points and they'll have everything a Fighter has, plus a couple more skill points per level and an extra "good" save. This is what I thought you intended. If you're just using the Animal advancement, it's different.

- Sir Bob.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Animal Characters

Dinkeldog said:
Awakened animals are still animals, not magical beasts

According to the rules the Rules Council who conveened to address this matter awakened animals are officially still animals for the sake of thier physical aspects, ie they can be targeted by animal growth, etc., but are magical beast in all other ways, ie cannot be targeted by animal friendship, etc..

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Animal Characters

AGGEMAM said:

According to the rules the Rules Council who conveened to address this matter awakened animals are officially still for the sake of thier physical aspects, ie they can be targeted by animal growth, etc., but are magical beast in all other ways, ie cannot be targeted by animal friendship, etc..

Cool. All of the benefits and none of the hindrances.

Rune

Once A Fool
Oooo!

Great topic, as usual, mmadsen!

I haven't done it before, but now I want to give an animal/fairytale campaign a try!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases