Animal Characters

mmadsen

First Post
The strangest thing I've ever played was an intelligent sword. Very fun to play and has gotten worked deep into the history of the world in which I play.

Playing a sword is a bit off-topic, not being about animals, so I glossed over it originally, but it has piqued my interest. What does an intelligent sword do? How did that campaign play out?

mmadsen

First Post
I ran an all animal campaign once. The evil ranchers and developers killed them off really early on.

Hmm...sounds like an animal version of Call of Cthulhu: Night of the Ranchers. That might be a fun one-off, defending the burrow against humans and trying to get away from gopher-gassers, farm boys with .22s, and human-loyal dogs.

(Why didn't I pick up GURPS Bunnies & Burrows?)

mmadsen

First Post
In my "Nature of the Beast" campaign concept, the PCs began as the forest animal companions to the local druidess. One day, they discovered she had been slain - the campaign was to be a murder mystery, of sorts.

I really enjoy that campaign concept, and I know I've read about an old tournament scenario like that, where the heroes were the wizard's pets and familiars, trying to find out what happened to him. Anyone else remember reading about that?

It seems like a great way to introduce people to roleplaying games.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Re: Re: Re: Animal Characters

I don't see the same potential for a "better cat" as for a "better dog". I can't think of any epic cats, and I can easily see a cat as a Sorcerer rather than a super-cat. Nonetheless, I thought I'd go through the skills looking for cat skills.

Cat skills:

(From the Monster Manual entry)
Balance
Climb
Hide
Listen
Move Silently
Spot

(Others)
Animal Empathy (Human Empathy? "Ooh, kitty!")
Bluff (you never know what a cat's thinking)
Innuendo (if cats could talk...)
Intimidate (they can scare off some surprisinly big dogs)
Jump (seems natural)
Tumble (they do always land on their feet)

Hmm...the cat does look like a good match for the Rogue, doesn't it?

WSmith

First Post
mmadsen said:
I really enjoy that campaign concept, and I know I've read about an old tournament scenario like that, where the heroes were the wizard's pets and familiars, trying to find out what happened to him. Anyone else remember reading about that?

It seems like a great way to introduce people to roleplaying games.

I got this idea from checking out the Pokemon Adventure Game. (RPG). You play the role of the trainer. You have no stats for yourself. You have cards for the Pokemon you possess, that do have stats to have battles. But this can be expanded to include other things. Imported to D&D, you could actually be a wizard, with familiars, and have them do the adventure stuff, like fighting, sneaking, thievery, etc. Perhaps, wizards in a particular campaign setting duel quite frequently through the use of their animal servants, being the Player Characters.

mmadsen

First Post
Imported to D&D, you could actually be a wizard, with familiars, and have them do the adventure stuff, like fighting, sneaking, thievery, etc. Perhaps, wizards in a particular campaign setting duel quite frequently through the use of their animal servants, being the Player Characters.

I love it, WSmith. Love it. I was considering something similar, with magic consisting solely of summoning spells, but I really like the twist of the animal servants being the PCs.

I also like the notion someone else proffered up of wizards being the pawns of their familiars, not their masters.

tenelo

First Post
Good read

For a really cool read, which is mostly related to topic, try 'A lonesome night in October' by Roger Zelazny. Not 100% sure about the title, but it's pretty near. It's plot is told from the point of view of a wizard's familiar, a dog in this case. It deals with wizards (more or less) doing wizardly things, with the familiars playing a vital role. Thoughtful rather than action packed, but I thought it was a damn good book. Must get another copy, I lent mine out and it didn't come home.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Good read

For a really cool read, which is mostly related to topic, try 'A lonesome night in October' by Roger Zelazny. Not 100% sure about the title, but it's pretty near....Must get another copy, I lent mine out and it didn't come home.

In the US at least, it looks like Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October is coming back into print this June. Amazon list it as a hardcover from Avon Books; ISBN: 0380972239; Reprint edition (June 2002).

mmadsen

First Post
Cat Feats

Cat Feats:

(From Monster Manual)
Improved Trip (not much use when you're tiny...)
Pounce
Improved Grab
Rake

(Others)
Alertness
Combat Reflexes
Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack
Improved Initiative
Lightning Reflexes
Weapon Finesse (Bite and Claws)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper