Animal Characters

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
It looks to me that if you want to play cats, you can go classless, but if you want to play dogs, you are going to want to stick with classes to differentiate between the roles of hunting dogs, riding dogs and circus dogs.

Snoweel

First Post
mmadsen said:

Playing a sword is a bit off-topic, not being about animals, so I glossed over it originally, but it has piqued my interest. What does an intelligent sword do? How did that campaign play out?

I played a game once where all the PC's were intelligent weapons.

However, one of the players ruined the campaign (he was one of those guys who just had to play an Evil character).

I'll never forget when his +2 keen, vorpal tonfa rogue backstabbed my +3 holy, bane vs animals main gauche ranger.

I haven't spoken to him since...

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Dolphin Ranger

I would probably write up a new dolphin race and leave the class alone. MMadsen would likely recognize this as good d20 game design, though.

Either path is more or less legitimate in 3E. You'll notice that the various monster types (Animal, Beast, Construct) are analogous to character classes, and that multi-hit-die monsters that take character classes are effectively multiclassing.

On the other hand, single-hit-die monsters are interpreted as a race if they multiclass, and whatever class they then take determines their hit die, skills, etc.

hong

WotC's bitch
Snoweel said:

I'll never forget when his +2 keen, vorpal tonfa rogue backstabbed my +3 holy, bane vs animals main gauche ranger.

I haven't spoken to him since...

That's your own fault for playing a gauche ranger. Obviously you offended the rogue's keen (vorpal) sense of etiquette and manners.

Monkey Monk

I played a monkey monk in one campaign. Stun attack was great but my punch did very little damage. A sorcerer or wizard would be a great monkey, anything that doesn't rely on weapons. I don't think weapons and animal characters mix but I am not sure.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Monkey Monk

I played a monkey monk in one campaign.

That reminds me, of course, of the Vanara race from Oriental Adventures -- monkey men along the lines of Hanuman. I still find it odd that they're smarter and weaker than humans (+2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Str).

hong

WotC's bitch
Re: Re: Monkey Monk

mmadsen said:

That reminds me, of course, of the Vanara race from Oriental Adventures -- monkey men along the lines of Hanuman. I still find it odd that they're smarter and weaker than humans (+2 Int, +2 Wis, -2 Str).

Well, that actually makes quite a bit of sense if you think about it. Monkeys are mischevious little trouble makers, with a mind all of their own, as anyone who's lived in close proximity to them will attest. They may not be very big or strong, but they're surprisingly bright and resourceful. People who get it into their minds to harrass monkeys for no good reason often find that payback is a bear, as the monkeys take their revenge in all sorts of vicious and sneaky ways.

The moral, of course, is not to spank the monkey.

Thank you.

Monkey

Touch attacks would be good for an animal character. I think opposable thumbs are the best, seriously, everone should have one.

For playing intelligent weapons, I think maybe dancing weapons would work pretty well, maybe not though because you would have to be near your owner and all that.

Based on the game Black and White, monkeys are intelligent. In the animal world (not counting humans) monkeys would be the smartest, so when converted to humans they would get the plus to intelligence.

mmadsen

First Post
Re: Monkey

In the animal world (not counting humans) monkeys would be the smartest, so when converted to humans they would get the plus to intelligence.

Just imagine how smart a human converted to human would be!

Re: Re: Monkey

mmadsen said:

Just imagine how smart a human converted to human would be!

They would be terrible god-like titans that ruled the land with iron-fists. I had a campaign where I let everyone play a human converted to a human, but everyone played an elf. I have fond memories of that campaign, or at least would have if it hadn't been a product of my imagination while lying on the floor in a crazed drug filled stupor. I think that was one of my best campaigns ever. As I said, I have no idea if it was.

Remove ads