Animal Characters

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Doesn't Masters of the Wild have a new weapon type that animals without thumbs can wield? Like "Opposable" or something. Perfect for that bow-shootin' squirrel.

And dogs would have to be differentiated on size....some ideas, call it Fur and Feathers d20

Cat = Rogue...maybe Wizard/Sorcerer?
Great Cat = Paladin? (Lions as nobility and all that)
Dog (MM version, coyote or fox sized) = Ranger
Dog (Smaller, yippitty, circus version) = Barbarian (Ever seen a small dog rage? It ain't pretty...my sneaker was never the same)
Dog (Bigger, hunting/riding version) = Fighter
Monkey = Rogue? Monk? Maybe Sorcerer or Wizard?
Parrot = Wizard? Bard?
Ape = Barbarian
Boar = Barbarian
Bear = Barbarian
(anyone else see a trend?)
Rat = Rogue
Pigeon/Raven/Etc. = Wizard
Squirrel = NINJA OF DEATH....er...Ranger
Snake = Rogue? Ranger? (Viper assassins! W00t! :))
Rhino/Elephant/Bull = Barbarian
Hawk = Ranger
Eagle = Paladin
Owl = Rogue

Etc....hurm...cool campaign idea

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
It seems to me that the most appropriate PC classes for 'mundane' animal characters comes down to

Barbarian, alt.Ranger and Rogue.

Fighter comes in too whereas the other classes require non-Mundane beasts to work (ie awakened).

I don't mind either type - mundane or awakened - as long as they stay 'essentially' animals. Its the challenge of being an animal and working on the problems of the world from that vantage point that intrigues me.

However as soon as they get to have opposable thumbs and use weapons well then I don't see the point - afterall all you've done is created another furry sub-humanoid.

{BTW should Paladins Mount be available as a Animal PC class?}

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Not played but owned ;)

I got me a celestial wolf from holy liberator levels. He was ok, then I hit 19th level and his HD advancement made him nice and large, and pretty tough with all the celestial abilities. Then I just happened to put a spare belt +6 STR, wings of flying and an amulet of CON +6 on him, making superwolf ;)

He has been very useful though, He could very easily be a character in his own right (and probably a hard CR 11-12 challenge).

Other than that, I have spent alot of time playing familiars that I have owned. I did consider an awakened whatever as a character, but the DM just though it was silly. Oh well.

If I was a Druid, I would pick up leadership, then awaken something handy like a dire eagle or something, give it levels in druid too (with spellcasting feats from MotW) and then arm all our animal companions with alchemists fire or fire seeds or something, then go on a bombing campaign ;)

Swiftpaw Fatfox

First Post
There is a book I downloaded called the noble wild. It has rules for animal characters. this is probably the best choice for any player wanting to play an animal

mmadsen

First Post
There is a book I downloaded called the noble wild. It has rules for animal characters. this is probably the best choice for any player wanting to play an animal
Who wrote it, and what are the rules like?
That was the last post in this thread prior to yours.
(I still don't understand why bringing back an old thread is a big deal. That's one of the advantages of the written word, after all; it sticks around.)

Swiftpaw Fatfox

First Post
Who wrote it, and what are the rules like?

It was written by Lee Garvin and Skirmish Games.

Examples of rules: New type- Noble Animal
- Many animals increase in size as the gain HD, depending on species
- Animal languages
- Animals use blood components instead of material components for spells
- Some Unique animal only spells
- Deeds
- Most animals can't use armor or weapons

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
You can find The Noble Wild over on RPGNow.

The book has gotten great reviews, and looking it over, I can see why. It does a great job not only presenting "noble animals" as playable races, but also altering existing classes, spells, and feats for play with animal PCs (including an innovative system that replaces magic items), in addition to providing new crunch as well. It also discusses how to play a Noble Wild campaign, either with humanoid characters, or with animals only, and even has a d20 Modern appendix. There are even a few web enhancements out for it too (a new one just came out yesterday about reindeer ;) ).

It's a great book, and I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to play an animal PC.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases