Castles & Crusades "Free" PHB

Mythmere1

First Post
Amazon is running a marketing program where if you buy something from one of their affiliates or something, you can get a free C&C players handbook when you click on the CCPHB page. Don't know if I was just in the right zip code - it might not show up for everyone.

The sponsors included Netflix, Blockbuster, and a CD of the month type club. If you're interested in something like that and don't find this kind of promotion INCREDIBLY ANNOYING like I do, you could score a free PHB from Amazon.

I didn't do it, but I figured someone else might be interested.

FTracer

Explorer
Is there a link to this promo? I went to the page and didn't see anything about it. It's a great way of having the rest of my group get the book!

Mythmere1

First Post
FTracer said:
Is there a link to this promo? I went to the page and didn't see anything about it. It's a great way of having the rest of my group get the book!

It just showed up on my page when I went there, and I followed the link. If it didn't show up on your page, I don't know. It was labeled "You might be interested in this book Castles and Crusades" and the label under the link was testmarketing or something like that.

SWBaxter

First Post
FTracer said:

It's almost certainly a targeted marketing promotion, aimed at people who have bought some amount of stuff from Amazon, of some particular type/genre/etc. You need to fit the correct customer profile in their database to qualify.

beverson

First Post
For what it's worth, this is the same marketing scheme used when you get those spam emails that say "Free Ipod!", and the like. They make you answer some annoying survey questions, then finally get to the offers that you have to fulfill. Some of them require that you fulfill as many as 3, this one thankfully only 1 (I'm in the process of doing it right now). Even worse, some of the offers require you to get others to sign up, which then turns it into a nasty chain campaign.

This one wasn't so bad, one of the offers was for the Blockbuster online service, for 9.99 the first month. I'll rent some movies that I would have rented anyway, then quit, and I'll get C&C PHB for nada....

Krieg

First Post
Frukathka said:
What junk, my computer is probably loaded with spyware by now, oh well. Off to run Ad-Aware!

Yeah I probably should have added a disclaimer with the link, but figured beverson gave the gist.

So better late than never:

If you don't want your personal information to end up on a ton of mailing lists...don't follow the link I posted above!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Which is why I have two email addresses. One for junk, and another for business/commerce and regular unsolicited email. Hot doggity - adaware found close to 50 objects and that was including a hidden toolbar. Yipe!

Remove ads