[OA] Setting Based on India - Resources?

Dust

First Post
Someone, somewhere on these boards, mentioned that they're playing an Oriental Adventures game set in a Vietnam-like world. I've always had a soft spot for Indian mythology, and I remebered the Mahasarpa campaign James Wyatt tried while playtesting OA. I'm wondering if anyone has any good ideas for resources I could use to build such a world. I remember a Dragon magazine from a few years back that was themed in such a way, but I have no idea where to go to find it. Any ideas?

bwgwl

First Post
man, i sure wish SJGames would get on the ball and publish GURPS India... i've been hearing mention of it for years, but it hasn't materialized yet.

i think india is a terrific and woefully underutilized setting.

mmadsen

First Post
Mahabharata and Ramayana

You may want to (re)read the Mahabharata and the Ramayana for source material. (By the way, if anyone knows good, readable versions of those works, please recommend them!)

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If you are interested in good source material, I would recommend "Ancient Indian History and Civilization, Trends and Perspectives" by N N Bhattacharyya, South Asia Books 1988.

In fact, as I am looking through the book, I'm starting to think this WOULD be a great setting to play a game in. Hmm...ideas....

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I would also suggest some of the tourist guides that are available both as books and on the 'net. You'll be able to use a stack of the pictures of old temples, markets etc... to provide some verisimilitude to your campaign.

Also, the old 2E Legends & Lore (free download from WOTC) had a section on a D&D-ised Indian pantheon.

Cheers
NPP

mmadsen

First Post
If you are interested in good source material, I would recommend "Ancient Indian History and Civilization, Trends and Perspectives" by N N Bhattacharyya, South Asia Books 1988.

Out of print. Sigh.

In fact, as I am looking through the book, I'm starting to think this WOULD be a great setting to play a game in. Hmm...ideas....

Absolutely! It's a bit foreign to most players, but mythic India seems to fit the D&D paradigm quite nicely -- lots of active gods, plenty of magic, brave heroes fighting colorful demons, etc.

Carnifex

First Post
The book 'Shiva 3000' is a great fantasy book, should provide you with lots of inspiration (I especially like the six-armed goonda!).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases