[OA] Setting Based on India - Resources?

Dust

First Post
Thanks

Thanks for all the tips/ideas. I did check out the Mahasarpa download, and it was an interesting place to start. I suppose now that I'm looking for three specific things:

1. A good book that details the gods and mythology of medieval India (pre-Islam).
2. A similarly quality guide to the society of said time and place.
3. Someone who might be willing to dig through their archives and photocopy me the Dragon articles referenced in the Mahasarpa download. I've tried my local library, but their subscription doesn't go back that far.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jerrid Al-Kundo

First Post
You might also find interesting bits in the 2E ESD Ruined Kingdoms. It's for Al-Qadim and contains distinct Indonesian flavorings. While not entirely geared for the same region, the Complete Sha'ir's Handbook had a Wizard's kit called The Mystic of Nog, which I've heard translates well using the Sorcerer Class as the model. This would serve as a fair Indonesian Monk replacement.

Henrix

Explorer
Re: Thanks

Dust said:
3. Someone who might be willing to dig through their archives and photocopy me the Dragon articles referenced in the Mahasarpa download. I've tried my local library, but their subscription doesn't go back that far.

Or, easier, the CD with the old Dragon issues!

(No, I don't have it!)

Rahkan

First Post
Hah

I am a 2nd Generation immigrant from that great nation, which obviously makes me the most esteemed font of knowledge concerning India. That being said I think you should definately read the Mahabharat and Ramayana, as this is where even Indians get their sense of mythic India. Don't try to read a direct translation, get some modern english prose version (no one wants to read thousands of pages of Sanskrit poetry). Other than that, I got nothing.

Voadam

Legend
Zelazney's _Lord of Light_ was a fun read, turning Hindu Myths into SciFi. He did the Amber series and does great fantasy writing.

There is a 2e ravenloft module set in their indian setting of Sri Raji, but it takes a lot of reworking.

1e and 2e legends and lore covered the Indian pantheons as does the Mayfair games supplement Monsters of Myth and Legend III.

Voadam

Legend
Zelazney's _Lord of Light_ was a fun read, turning Hindu Myths into SciFi. He did the Amber series and does great fantasy writing.

There is a 2e ravenloft module set in their indian setting of Sri Raji, but it takes a lot of reworking.

1e and 2e legends and lore covered the Indian pantheons as does the Mayfair games supplement Monsters of Myth and Legend III. They are all a bit sparse, however.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases