Frankthedm's miniature thread: 2014/04/17 Formless Spawn of Tsathoggua

frankthedm

First Post
New black pudding pics

forgive me if i seem to have been bit by the photo bug, but I gotta make sure i find all the bugs with this camera before it is too late to take it back. ;)

http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/986/pudding6mz.jpg
A few years ago I made a couple black puddings using black candle wax and wire, this is the big one.

Size: 4.75 inches wide or 23 3/4 scale feet across [yes, an ooze the size of a Compact Disc]

Material used

1 AOL CD for the base
3 black votive candles
1 tube of thick P.V.A. glue [school, white, Elmer’s glue all the same, just don’t waste your money on games workshop’s pva]
1 tube of cheap black gloss paint.
1 Small paint brush [not a good one used for minis]
1 bit of cheap string
1 fist sized hunk of Styrofoam
A couple feet of floral wire, thin
A bit of masking tape.

I took the hunk of Styrofoam and tore off chunks to give the goo a wave like mass at one side, a mound that I would later attach a wire pseudopod to and I cut a small hole into which I stuck a cone of masking tape. I glued the Styrofoam to the CD.

For the Pseudopodia I took the wire and made a thickest to thin to thick [¾” to 1/3” to ½”] shape with little open space. I attached this to the mound I had made for it. I then made a flat web of wire I attached to the crest of the slime wave to give it the look like its victim was about to suffer a wipe out.

Now, have you seen the late 80’s / early 90s Blob remake? Do you remember the scene where the blob forms a mouth like opening to “swallow” the girl? I tried to make an opening like that on the pudding. To do so, I took a bit of masking tape, rolled it into a cone and stuck it into the Styrofoam. Then I cut up the tape a little at the opening to give an organic look.

Next, to make sure the white of the Styrofoam did not show through, I painted the mass gloss black [also this helps to hide the wire a little better].

Once the paint was dry I took a candle, lit it and dribble the wax onto the Styrofoam. I ran a pencil into the hole in the CD into the Styrofoam to hold it better. Once done, it sat.

A year later, I find several dings on the poor thing after storing at the friend's house we play D&D at.and bring the poor thing home.

Now years later, i finally can take a decent photo of it.

Last edited:

rowport

First Post
That Tacklemaggot is amazingly cool (and disturbing!), Frank! Just FYI, your thread here using unlikely mini materials inspired me to pick up some el-cheapo plastic Jungle Animal figures from the Party Store to re-paint; I think the Gorilla should turn out especially well with some drybrushing.

Of course, my 2-year old daughter (and my wife, for that matter) assumed that they were *her* toys... not daddy's toys... LOL

frankthedm

First Post
The plastic dire ape with the dwarven legs? i don't care for the mold lines on its sides or arms

The Rhino is pretty cool when you find it, Wal mart has them in bags usually

have you eever been to the japanese toy and gft store in arlington heights? It used to be IN Mitsua, now it is north of it, by subway & Murray's. Lots of little toys and figs.

If you have a child, i recommend you buy double or sneak them into the house.

I also recommend locking your workroom, most minis define the term choking hazard. :heh:

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
I picked up a 4" skeletor / ringwraith rip off toy at the Big Lots discount chain. It is from a new dragon based toy line [fantasy toys are coming back REALLY strong nowadays]. Overall a cheap toy, but it could work for a mm3 Death giant or giant lich. The head is missing at the moment so i'll just show the body [might even ditch the head]. The belt it has a nice amount of detail and is detachable from the fig.

Any suggestions for the fig, the belt especially, since it could very well be the creature's phylactery?
http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/1699/wipdeathgiant7bm.jpg

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Got this done last night, may do more work tonight if i am not feeling too ill. Sadly, right after taking this pic, i botched the gem and began repainting it.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases