TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Tarek

Explorer
Dragon Magazine covered a lot of these deities back "in the day."

Also, download a copy of the Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook. There's some more information there.

Allitur was the Flan god of law and justice, basically the "lawyer's god." Zuoken first appeared in 2nd edition, I think, and is a baklunish demi-god or hero-god whose patron is Xan-Yae.

I just did a quick search on those deities and found a few sources on the web.

Last edited:

erc1971

Explorer
Tarek said:
Dragon Magazine covered a lot of these deities back "in the day."

Also, download a copy of the Living Greyhawk Campaign Sourcebook. There's some more information there.

Allitur was the Flan god of law and justice, basically the "lawyer's god." Zuoken first appeared in 2nd edition, I think, and is a baklunish demi-god or hero-god whose patron is Xan-Yae.

I just did a quick search on those deities and found a few sources on the web.

Thanks for the info.

Yes - I searched high and low in the dragon magazines - there was information on alot of deities in there, and helped fill up my binder 'o gods ;) I am not real interested in the Living Greyhawk stuff though, as it is over 20 years removed from the Gygax era at TSR, and things get changed. I would love to find 1st generation information if possible ;)

Eric

Moggthegob

First Post
erc1971 said:
Gary,

I have a Greyhawk question.

I am referring to the Greyhawk Campaign Setting Boxed Set that was released in '83...

On pages 63 and 64 of Guide to Greyhawk book there is a listing of deities for this setting. Throughout the years I have been gathering all info I could find on Greyhawk deities and collecting them in a binder for quick reference. However, I have not been able to find any information on a few of these deities beyond this list. I have searched high and low in a variety of TSR products and have found zero information. I was wondering if you might know where I could find more detailed information on these deities?

The deities in question are:
Cyndor, Allitur, Atroa, Berei, Bleredd, Delleb, Geshtai, Joramy, Kurell, Lirr, Myhriss, Sotillion, Telchur, Velnius, Wenta, Zodal, Rudd, and Zuoken.

Thanks,
Eric

You probably already know this but on the Living greyhawk paget hey have a deity listing and fluff on a few of those notably i think Atroa, Allitur, Zuoken, Blerred, Wenta, Geshtai, and Joramy
I just noticed that you said no LG stuff. woops. Anyway its still good info and i know that it draws on alot ofdifferent sources including those dungeon articles.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Another case of failed ENW server notification of posts here... :confused:

As for the Arduin Grimoire, the tone and content were so unappealing to me that I had to both ignore it and parody it at the same time. OTOH, I have met a few decent gamers that used it for some source material, even layed a campaign based on the system. Very different strokes indeed to my way of thinking.

As for the deities lacking detail, I had at least a sentence or two on each, but to the best of my recollection all such notes were either turned over to TSR back in 1985 or lost in multiple moves prior to that date or subsequently. Of course I have virtually no recollection of their rank, powers, and concerns after so many years--and extensove research of actual mythology, adding my own material, for the finally upcoming Lejendary Pantheons.

Cheers,
Gary

king_ghidorah

First Post
Hi, Gary,

In a fit of nostalgia, I unpacked my copy of the original 3-booklet boxed set and found a reference in book I (Men and Magic), page 10 under the ability section that stated:

"Clerics can use strength on a 3 for basis in their prime requisite area (wisdom), for purposes of gaining experience only." Likewise, ther is a comment under Intelligence that "Both fighters and Clerics can use it in their prime requisite areas... on a 2 for 1 basis." Similar comments are made about wisdom for fighting men (counting 3 for 1) and magic users (2 for 1).

What the heck does that mean? That, for instance, clerics can add Wisdom + 1/3 of their Strength to determine their experience bonus? Or am I misreading this?

king_ghidorah

First Post
Hi, Gary,

In a fit of nostalgia, I unpacked my copy of the original 3-booklet boxed set and found a reference in book I (Men and Magic), page 10 under the ability section that stated:

"Clerics can use strength on a 3 for basis in their prime requisite area (wisdom), for purposes of gaining experience only." Likewise, ther is a comment under Intelligence that "Both fighters and Clerics can use it in their prime requisite areas... on a 2 for 1 basis." Similar comments are made about wisdom for fighting men (counting 3 for 1) and magic users (2 for 1).

What the heck does that mean? That, for instance, clerics can add Wisdom + 1/3 of their Strength to determine their experience bonus?

Doug

Geoffrey

First Post
Gary, how did you envision mind flayers?

1. Were they native to Oerth, or

2. Did they come from another planet on the Prime Material Plane, or

3. Did they come from another plane?

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
king_ghidorah said:
Hi, Gary,

What the heck does that mean? That, for instance, clerics can add Wisdom + 1/3 of their Strength to determine their experience bonus?

Doug
You got it.

It seemed like a good idea at the time, this substitution enabling the 10% XP bonus to PCs with high abilities assocoated with but not their prime one, such as the cleric using 3 Str to equal 1 Wis.

DMs didn't think it was a particularly useful rule, so it was dropped.

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Geoffrey said:
Gary, how did you envision mind flayers?

1. Were they native to Oerth, or

2. Did they come from another planet on the Prime Material Plane, or

3. Did they come from another plane?
Those monstrous creatures were never native to any human planet :eek:

I my mind they came from another plane, managed to find their way to the Oerth...although they could be spacefaring aliens whose ship crashed on the planet marooning them, the occupants being sufficiently numerous to have a viable breeding population.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads