TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mighty Veil

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Oh say it isn't so!

It is my considered opinion that there is noting "modern" about new D&D, and its experience system is an antiquated clunker, so i see it all ias just a rehash of the old systems with more rules with a comic book superhero overlay, no longer based on archetypes.

Gary

Personally that's what I like most about the D&D/D20 system -- the XP! I always felt Star Frontiers and Marvel should of had an XP system similar to 1E. I don't remember Top Secret anymore. Those being the TSR games I had tried.

What do you mean by super-hero vs. archtypes? I read something on this somewhere by someone. I forget who and the essay.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Well, I said I was gonna sit back and read, but since your replied to me directly in a number of posts...

Yes, I know you were asked to post on this thread. Matter of fact, I was around when these threads started a few years back. It struck me that you were always up for vigorous debate. I, personally, have endeavored to remain civil and to address topics that directly relate to you. I don't think I've strayed from that intent, but apparently others, including you, think differently. I'm sorry if I misunderstood the intent of these threads as they are now, what they have evolved into since they first started. If you wish them to remain simply threads in which fans can ask questions related to relatively non-inflammatory subjects - opinions on campaign elements, the history of the game - I can understand that - and I don't mean that in some snide, backhanded, internet passive/aggressive way.
Not at all my good Colonel!

I took no umbrage at your messages, and please do not mistake my responses for anything other that responses of courteous form to your many posts.

I don't feel I've attacked you; hell, I'm a fan, as I've said countless times, so why would I? I did feel like replying to some things you wrote above which I felt needed replyin' to. If you would rather just post your opinion and not have a discussion about it, I can respect that, given the venue - after all, it is a Q&A thread, not a debate thread. I'm sorry you felt attacked. That wasn't my intent in the slightest. It's just that when someone says saying with which I disagree, I feel the urge to say something, regardless of the setting or the person who said the thing I object to; I don't like to be seen as "quibbling," but rather addressing points as i see them. Regardless, apologies to you and others for my misconduct if I have offended. I only ask honest questions.
Nor did I say you had. I merely mentioned the matter because there was a rather hostile post or two, and in responding to you I mentioned the matter as a general comment.

In all events I do not believe you own me an apology, and I offer mine to you for possibly making it seem as if you were somehow out of line.

Anyway, one last thing - that DMG. It did, indeed, get a lot of hard use over the course of 25 years. That should be indicative of how much I enjoyed the game.
Absolutely! I mentioned the sturdy binding of the book as a measuring rod for readers to use in assessing your employment of the old DMG :eek:

Regards,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Quasqueton said:
wow. I wouldn't have expected such a juvenile response from the esteemed Gary Gygax. Reinforces my feelings.

Quasqueton
Post a purile message, expect a response in kind :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
:D Your potshots continue -- and reinforce your disrespect for someone that doesn't like your game. That sounds juvenile to me. Remove the plank from your own eye...

Gary defends his position on the game, his views, and his opinions and you have a problem with that. It sounds like this is not the thread for you -- unless you like stirring pots, trolling, and being a nuisance.

Do you have something constructive to add to the group or should we ignore you from here on out?

-----

Patryn feels slighted because of his inference that EGG views 3e fans as untrue D&D fans. Why should he care what EGG thinks? Just play the freaking game! If it is so important that Gary needs to approve your game, then write out a letter explaining your position with a dotted line that reads "I approve this gamer and his game, E. Gary Gygax". If he signs it, that should sort it out. If he doesn't sign it, go play GURPS.
How true!

No gamer needs me to validate his or her choice of a system that brings them enjoyment. As a matter of fact I do not believe the choice of an RPG is a meaningful measure of a person's worth...

As for stirring the pot, sometimes that is good ;) Observce the sudden influx of posts here :eek:

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Dannyalcatraz said:
Or Dangerous Journeys!

Side notes about chess & checkers:

1) The queen's full-board range of motion is a relatively new addition to the game. Originally, she could only move 1 space at a time. The chess we're used to is like...14thEd Chess. I wonder if the original players ever got pissy about the changes?
One space on the diagonals, properly ;)

The last change in the game of chess was castling added around the time of Ruy Lopez, possibly by thet very person, but I can't properly remember. It was in the 15th century IIRR.

Taking en passant came before castling.

Likely there were some who preferred the game without the new rules, but there is no real analogy between chess and the D&D game changes, unless one compares D&D to chess and the other games, AD&D and new D&D to chess variants.

2) While there are computers capable of playing Grandmaster Level Chess, to date, no computer has beaten a Checkers Grand-Champion...and yes, there are such things. (Of course, I don't know that there are any programmers TRYING to program computers to play checkers at a Grand-Champion level.)

And now...back to your regularly scheduled Gary!
I believe the assumptioon that computers are not being probrammed to play grand master level checkers is likely the case...

U must wonder about programming to play GO :eek:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mhacdebhandia said:
Exactly. I admire Gary Gygax for creating fantasy roleplaying, and I read these threads because I'm interested in his reminiscences about the early days of the game, but I could not care less whether or not he'd like the games I play.

Far as I'm concerned the only opinions that matter are those of the people who play with me.
Most pragmatic and unarguable!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Devall2000 said:
Gary,

I've been curious about how often you restocked your dungeon levels. If a party cleared out a couple of levels and went back to town to heal up and re-equip, could they count on having to clear out the levels again or was it just an issue of random encounters in the areas that had been cleared?
When the setting was in constant use, we never restocked, just drafted new side and deeper levels, as it was assumed that the depredations of the cruel PC parties kept the monsters away in fear and loathing :uhoh:

As far as Castle Greyhawk went, did the kobolds go about the business of retaking dungeon levels as soon as the PC's left?
The kobolds and others came into the place when expeditions of PCs were few and far between. The kobolds and the goblins made a pact to pretty much divide up the upper works and the first level of the dungeon between them, cooperating to fight back the other denizens.

Incidentally, I remember reading somewhere that the lone surviving PC from a party was captured by the kobolds(I think) and asked to be taken to the leader. The PC was a mage and had one spell left which happened to be charm person. Upon meeting the leader, he cast the spell, and the kobold leader failed his save miserably. It sounded like the PC befriended the head kobold and started calling the shots after that. What's the current status of that situation?

-Jamie
That is essentially correct. A female magic-user made common cause with the goblin chief after successfully charming him, assisted in arming and equipping the goblin forces, but when more PC parties began to riad the place I determined that she took what was available and beat it. No sense in rishing one's life on behalf of goblins for no more than a heap of silver.

The goblins were pretty well wiped out from their upper ruins holdings, and seeing the force of the PC parties assailing the place, she slipped away.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
Were I to ask Gary if he likes Parcheesi, Mouse Trap, Chutes & Ladders, Jenga, Dark Tower (oops!), Dungeon!, Life, Backgammon, or Trivial Pursuit, chances are there's going to be a game he doesn't like.

[sarcasm] If it's Parcheesi, I'm out of here. [/sarcasm]
Hey!

I have a lot of fun playing DUNGEON! now and again, trying to make a tour of all levels without getting eliminated.

As for backgammon, I've had my clock cleaned by expert players, aand realize there is a lot more to that game than rolling dice and getting lucky results.

I am not bad at Trivial Pursuit--I get chosen first for a team most of the time--but my amigo Chris Fisher makes my knowledge seem that of a piker. He plays with a team in the annual national contest. :heh:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
BOZ said:
that really ought to be everyone's shared opinion... ;)

i mean, i might feel a little better if gary didn't dislike the changes in D&D so much after his departure from the company, but he (more than anyone) has a right to his feelings, and his feelings don't change the way the game is handled by the company that owns it nor do they change the way anyone but he and those he games and associates with (and those who live by his opinions) will game. i will never be unthankful to the man for coming up with the game and the sheer amount of work he put into afterwords. it would not have been the same then or now if not for his love for his creation.
Thanks, Boz!

The lengthy and hard "work" was that, but I confess to loving it. after all, I am THE game nerd :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases