TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Zudrak said:
When you LIVE in NJ, you pretty much hear all sorts of jokes from out-of-staters -- who still come in and amazingly find nothing wrong with our beaches, skiing, parks, sightseeing, the USS New Jersey... Ha.

Nobody disses a battleship . . .

I'm a New Yorker by nationality (though a West Coaster by current address), and as you know on the little AD&D PHB chart for initial attitude, the intersection of New York and New Jersey says "A". It's like elves and dwarves. But when three of my gaming friends from college lived there, I spent a lot of time in Joisey and liked it . . . after all, you have good pizza . . . but I stuck with 287 instead of the Garden State or I-95.

JRRNeiklot

First Post
dcas said:
There are 11 toll plazas over 172.4 miles (about one every 15.7 miles) -- each 35 cents. That's only $3.85 to travel the whole distance of the GSP. A similar distance on the Pennsylvania Turnpike is over $10. Also, when compared to the PA Turnpike or I-95, the GSP is driving heaven.

Toll roads? Our taxes already maintain the roads. Down south we lynch politicians who try to vote in that kind of crap. No tolls here.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Hey, Gary -- this is something that I've just been curious about, though I haven't followed the thread in its entirety so possibly you may have answered it in some previous part, but:

What's your preferred way to roll for stats?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
JRRNeiklot
Toll roads? Our taxes already maintain the roads. Down south we lynch politicians who try to vote in that kind of crap. No tolls here.

Come visit Dallas/Fort Worth to see and travel on mythical Southern Toll Roads!

We have 2 that I know of, and we may be getting more.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
JRRNeiklot said:

in certain parts of chicago, the interstates are specifically designed in such a way that once you get to certain point on them, you're stuck paying and there's no way to get off and avoid them (unless you want to turn around and drive against traffic, woohoo!)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Amy Kou'ai said:
Hey, Gary -- this is something that I've just been curious about, though I haven't followed the thread in its entirety so possibly you may have answered it in some previous part, but:

What's your preferred way to roll for stats?
Howdy:)

As a DM who wants the players to be as pleased as possible with the process. I typically allow stat rolls of d46, taking the three highest, and allowing the totals to be arranged in whatever order the player desires.

In regards to HPs, I typically say re-roll any 1, and I agree with the initial GD being at the max--a good way to assist in survival of low-lEvEl PCs :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Frank Mentzer

First Post
Oh scholarly senescent sloth:

In certain early TSR works if the 1970s, you sometimes wrote a Foreword, sometimes a Foreward, and sometimes a Forward.

Was there a hidden message in such variations?

-- ye nagge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases