TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gideon_thorne

First Post
And thank you kindly sir!. And you do realise this makes the third time you have agreed with me? Makes one almost believe in miracles? ;)

Col_Pladoh said:
Actually, I agree, and give you a tip of the hat, especially for the comments regarding "adult," for all gamers at least know that's a highly subjective term in regards to attitudes and behavior.

Cheers,
Gary

VirgilCaine

First Post
Most Honored Colonel:

What is the significance of the optional "Nessus Shirt Company" tag in the Cloak of Poisonousness in the 1e DMG?

Thanks.

Orius

Legend
I recently skimmed through the original D&D rules recently, and I have to say what grabbed my attention wasn't what changed over the last 30 years, but rather how much of the original game is still a part of the game in some form. Changes seem to consist more of things that have been added rather than things that that have been radically altered (with a few exceptions here and there).

I also think that the flavor of the game is partially a matter of who's DMing it. I seriously doubt any 2 DMs out there run the game in exactly the same way.

Even though I prefer to run 3e rules, I do not run an "anything goes" type of campaign. The half-dragon/half-vampire character mentioned earlier in this thread would almost certainly be disallowed in my games. I'm not really all that fond of lots of different subraces for that matter; I prefer keeping choices limited to the PHB in a general sort of campaign (and there's plenty of choices there for the players). A lot of DMs complain about how there's too many options that make PCs too powerful; I'd say those DMs have to learn how to say "NO" to material that's meant to be optional (and this isn't a 3e matter only, there were lots of similar complaints back in the 2e days as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases