TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
As a matter of fact I have not seen Orson's Chimes at Midnight. As a great fan of his directing and acting, I will certainly make a point of tracking down that work.

Thanks for the tip :cool:

Gary

Check out "F for Fake," also, if you already haven't. A very fun, clever documentary...well, part of it is a documentary...

Speaking of films, Gary, have you seen "Frazetta: Painting with Fire"? Excellent documentary on Frazetta, with recent interview footage of him.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
TheGogmagog said:
Gary, I saw this question over in the rules forum. You have any ideas on it? I thought if you didn't know there isn't much hope. I'm also curious about 2nd edition.
Sadly, all of my special D&D library items were siezed by Loprraine Williams when she took over the company in 1984. I never got any of those books or games or other items back.

In short, I haven't the errate material. It should be in The Strategic Review, though, and those are on the PDf, no?

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Check out "F for Fake," also, if you already haven't. A very fun, clever documentary...well, part of it is a documentary...

Speaking of films, Gary, have you seen "Frazetta: Painting with Fire"? Excellent documentary on Frazetta, with recent interview footage of him.
Dang!

I haven't seen F for Fake either, so I'll have to look for that also.

As to the Frazetta interview, is it on the telly?

Cheers,
Gary

Llaurenela

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Sadly, all of my special D&D library items were siezed by Loprraine Williams when she took over the company in 1984. I never got any of those books or games or other items back.

In short, I haven't the errate material. It should be in The Strategic Review, though, and those are on the PDf, no?

Cheers,
Gary

Hi ya Gary,

That was one cold-hearted. Stop that thought. I have the FAQ from The Strategic Review and it is very helpful. According the FAQ there was a separate errata sheet. I have been trying to find a copy of it or the notes if anyone wrote them in their books. I didn't care at all about any spelling typos I just wanted to see if there were any numbers that should be changed or not.

I have been talking with you in a different net location, but I didn't want to bother you with this there. But now I now about this thread :) I have posted my question in several places. If any of them bear fruit I will share it. I have been playing 1st ed AD&D for years but just recently went back to 1974 D&D since I found a player/ref who played in 1974 who said he will ref one game for us and then he wants to play.

BTW I just got a copy of your Dangerous Journeys Mythus and it is so full of information I am just blown away. I have just started reading thru it and am already enriched by it.

Cheers & Thanks!!

Llaurenela

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
thufur said:
Mr. G,

Do you happen to know who came up with the Moondog in MM II?
Sure do.

That would be me, as is true with the majority of the entries in the work ;) It is a play on the term "sun dog," not a creature at all, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Howdy Llaurenela,

I don't believe that anyone who knows Lorraine Williams likes her...

We have also been playing some OD&D here of late, mainly dungeon crawls. there is a distinct difference in the play of OD&D and OAD&D.

The DJ Mythus game was one of ultimate detail, crafted so that rules parts could be dropped and the engine would function as well as it did with them as part of the driving force.

My group is now by popular demand back to playing the rules-light, skill-bundle based Lejendary Adventure game system again.

Cheers,
Gary

thufur

First Post
Many thanks for saving their arses

Col_Pladoh said:
Sure do.

That would be me, as is true with the majority of the entries in the work ;) It is a play on the term "sun dog," not a creature at all, of course.

Cheers,
Gary

Well then, you are the toast of the town. I had never really read through it's description until about November, when we were finishing up G1 Steading. Seeing as every requirement for a Moondog's willing service was fulfilled prior to them getting their arses handed to them, by moi, I felt that it would be a perfect fit when the party priest cast Implore, begging for help. What can't a Moondog do? They are friggin awesome. Thanks.

Gray Mouser

First Post
TheGogmagog said:
Gary, I saw this question over in the rules forum. You have any ideas on it? I thought if you didn't know there isn't much hope. I'm also curious about 2nd edition.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but my pdf of Supplement I (Greyhawk) contains the following corrections:

((CORRECTIONS))
Page Correction or Addition
5 Dwarves: All dwarves add +1 to hit probabilities, and subtract - 1 from chances to be hit,
when fighting the "Giant Class".
Elves: All elves add +1 to their hit probabilities when using sword or bow.
Hobbits: All hobbits add +3 to hit probabilities when using the sling.
6 Add Hobbits* to the columns of Law and Neutrality.
13 ALTERNATIVE COMBAT SYSTEM: Defender's Armor Class 5 vs. Dagger should read
"—1".
15 Magic Armor Effects .. . : Chainmail and +1 (shield) should be Armor Class 3 (not 2).
21 7th Level Cleric Spells should include: 11. Gate
26 Extension III should be shown under 6th Level spells. Add to the 7th Level spells: "Gate:
Same as Magic-Users' Gate Spell."
30 Speak With Dead: 15th-20th level clerics can converse with creatures dead up to 12
months.
Holy Word: Other effects of the spell are:
Move is Fight at Can cast spell
9th-12th level normal —2 50% chance
5th-8th level nil cannot nil
under 5th level — — —
37 BEHOLDERS: If attacked from above all of the small eyes can function simultaneously,
but the large eye cannot if they do so. 25% of all hits are upon eyes; 40% of eye damage is
on the central eye.
40 HOMONCULOUS: This creature is made and animated only through a special formula
involving the talents of both an Alchemist and a Magic-User and is the servant and
counterpart of the latter. The Alchemist will require no less than 1-4 weeks, 1,000 Gold
Pieces expenditure, and a pint of the Magic-User's blood. When the Homonculous is
finished it will be man-like in form, about 18" tall, have a greenish, reptilian skin, leathery
wings, and a bat-like mouth with teeth passing on a venom which causes sleep unless the
party bitten saves vs. magic. Although the Homonculous cannot speak, it knows what the
Magic-User knows, and the latter is able to see and hear through the creature's eyes and
ears. These is a telepathic link between the Magic-User and his creature, and the Homonculous
can be controlled up to 36" away from its master. It will never willingly pass from
this maximum range. If the Homonculous is killed the Magic-User immediately suffers 2-
20 points of damage.
GOLEMS: Golems are created by ultra-powerful (or ultra-knowledgable) Magic-
Users. They are generally slow of movement but super-powerful. There are three basic
types of Golems:
GOLEMS: Flesh: Hit Points-40, Movement-8", Armor Class-9; Stone: Armor Class-5;
Iron: Armor Class-2.
49 Rod of Resurrection: (This should read) A rod which allows its user to resurrect just as if he
were a 15th level patriarch. It is usable but once per day. It contains 20 charges, and it cannot
be recharged.
54 Gem of Seeing: (Insert this before the Jewel of Attacks .. .) This jewel allows the user to see
hidden, invisible, out-of-phase, or astrally projected things. The user may not be moving
when it is being used. It requires a full turn to scan a 20' wall section or a space volume of
20' square. Range: 3".
55 Talisman of Lawfulness: Range: 3".

Hope this helps.

Gray Mouser

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
Dang!

I haven't seen F for Fake either, so I'll have to look for that also.

As to the Frazetta interview, is it on the telly?

Cheers,
Gary

The Frazetta documentary - replete with historical overview, film footage of Frank at different points in his life, and commentary from other artists and famous folk who were influenced by him - has been shown a number of times on the Independent Film Channel. It also is available for sale; I've seen an entry on Amazon for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases