TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jokamachi

Explorer
Hey, Gary,

For your money what are the hardest monsters to beat? Which of these would you least like to face off against?

jokamachi

gideon_thorne

First Post
palleomortis said:
Hey, thanx all. I didn't know this kinda stuff existed. Nice. Where did you say this guy lived?

Its always a good thing to learn the history of the rpg industry, seeing as good folks like Gary, Jim Ward, Frank Mentzer, Dave Arneson, Rob Kuntz and other such notables practically invented the concept. :)

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
jokamachi said:
Hey, Gary,

For your money what are the hardest monsters to beat? Which of these would you least like to face off against?

jokamachi
Whoa, and that's a loaded question!

What sort of PC class am I playing, what level, and what sort of equipment does that character have?

The hardest monsters to beat are other PCs I should think :eek:

I hate to be surprised by anything that can petrify a PC, of course, and level-draining monsters are just plain nasty.

When Mordenkainen and Bigby were laid low by that iron golem that could levitate, breathe fire, and had a whip of petrifaction and a poison sword I was at the time personally pretty sure that not much worse an opponent could come down the pike :\

Cheers,
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
jokamachi said:
Hey, Gary,

For your money what are the hardest monsters to beat?

Answer: The one you didn't walk away from. :lol:

Similarly, the one you'd hate to face, is the one who just killed your last PC in 1 round flat. :)

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
When Mordenkainen and Bigby were laid low by that iron golem that could levitate, breathe fire, and had a whip of petrifaction and a poison sword I was at the time personally pretty sure that not much worse an opponent could come down the pike :\

Cheers,
Gary

OK, Colonel, a statement like that just begs for the question: What have you faced that was tougher than the (in)famous iron golem???

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
palleomortis said:
Hey, thanx all. I didn't know this kinda stuff existed. Nice. Where did you say this guy lived?
If by "this guy" you mean Jim Ward, that's easy. Jim lives in the county seat of Walwrth County, Elkhorn. That's about eight miles from Lake Geneva. Do a websearch for the "Beast of Bray Road" for some interesting reading about the area.

Cheers,
Gary

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Col_Pladoh said:
While I am not a rabid fan, I have seen all of the Star Wars flicks a couple of times, and I plan to see the Revenge of the Sith in a week or two...when the crowds are less dense;)

From what I have read regarding the treatment of the Saracens as opposed to the Christians in Kingdom of Heaven, it is one I'll skip. My first published game design was the Battle of Arsouf, so I am fairly well conversant with the Crusades.
So I'll ask you in a week or two about Star Wars! :D

Actually, I've been highly disappointed with the reviews on Kingdom of Heaven. I understand if you have your reservations, but I'd mention that the reviews are almost all very misleading. The good guys in Kingdom of Heaven are the Christians. The bad guys in Kingdom of Heaven are the Christians. The movie only mentions Muslims where they have to, as a part of the background or nature. Any review that talks about how Muslims or Christians are treated loses points with me, because the movie just isn't about that. It's not anti-Muslim, but it isn't anti-abortion either. It's an entirely different topic.

... Just had to get that out.

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
OK, Colonel, a statement like that just begs for the question: What have you faced that was tougher than the (in)famous iron golem???

Gray Mouser
Not much of anything.

Tougher stuff my PCs run away from in utmost haste :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, I was just curious about your experience with Illusionist characters (I know you have a Gnome Illusionist/Thief PC). Do you (or any of the players you have DM'ed) have any memorable/unexpected/ingenious uses of illusions? I've always been attracted to Illusionists but have never had a lot of experience with them (either DMing them or playing them) and am just curious if you've had any stand out experiences with such characters.

Gray Mouser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases