TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I remember you recounting elsewhere that the origin of such transporters and so on in D&D was to thwart the near-photographic memory of Rob Kuntz. Truly astounding!
Heh...

The transporter also has the benefit of making any dungeon level more difficult to explore and map, thus adding to the challenge involved. They are also handy devices to move the player characters to such new and different places as the GM wishes :cool:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
oldschooler said:
Gary, my girlfriend would like to start using miniatures in our games because she's so used to boardgames, but the scale always messes me up. In older versions of D&D, movement was rated in inches (1" = 10' underground for example) but ground scale is given as 1" equals 3 1/3' (making a 10' corridor 3" wide on the tabletop) therefore 1" isn't 10'. Argh!
The latest version of The Game has a straight movement rate in footage with a ground scale of 1" = 5', but we'd like to stick with older games if we can. The whole thing is very confusing.
Anywho, the main question I have is: Have you ever used miniatures yourself (for any RPG) and if so, what kind of scale/movement do you employ?
There is always a problem with three-dimensional representation using miniature figurines. Even at one-to-one ratio of figures to actual number, there is a ground scale dilema. If the figurines are truly to 25mm scale, then one inch should equal six feet in ground scale. That means a spear can be thrown c. five inches, a jevalin c. 12 inches, and a longbow has an range of c. 36 inches on the table top. Time scale must then be set, and it it is in one minute turns, then movement, once commenced, will be at rates in the neighborbood of 30 inches at a slow pace, 45 inches quick time, and 60 inches on the run, with horsed figures moving commensurately faster at the trot, canter, and gallop.

During a one minute period a trained archer can aim and loose at least six arrows.

Realistically the ground scale must be different than that of the figurines used, and that means time is relative to ground scale as adjusted by subsumed delays in forming plans and ordering movement or reacting to what an individual comprehends in the field.

No FRPG I know of is meant to be a combat simulation, so there's really no need to worry about such matters :uhoh:

Cheers,
Gary

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Col_Pladoh said:
You can locate them by an online search;)

Cheers,
Gary

True enough, but I'm the type who has to thumb through a dictionary before I buy it, just to see if it actually has archaic terms in it like "yclept."

Tuzenbach

First Post
Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX

Continued from here:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=121380

Gary,

In 1E, Assassins could use shields while Thieves could not. Given the crossover of Thief abilities to the Assassin class (climb walls, hide in shadows, move silently, etc.), what was your justification for this allowance? Also, I always found this discrepancy a bit odd for all those Assassins wishing to remain "anonymous" or incognito. "Hmmmm. He's got leather armour, any weapon of his choice, and a shield. He's not a Ranger, he's an Assassin!":uhoh: :]

Felikeries

First Post
Good refrence question,sure it's true that skills etc are inter twined
for the powers of being an assasin and a sneaky theif,but the answers the DM has for their direct application may vary by just a touch,so that the spread for the skills are now a varied element,so the rationalizaion for a good game is still there....thus when sheilds are used,any class with sword etc etchnique can make a generic claim but not disflavour the totall style of a class....is what i think

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
True enough, but I'm the type who has to thumb through a dictionary before I buy it, just to see if it actually has archaic terms in it like "yclept."
Ycore!

You rixel :lol:

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases