TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Well, I do too. That's the point of this thread, and the reason I participate in it. That said, I don't think Gary wants to simply preach to the choir. After all, he is posting here, the biggest 3e/d20 fansite on the web. He has to expect, if not welcome, dissenting opinions. How interesting would a thread posted to only by "yes men" (and no, I'm not talking about anyone here, so relax, I'm just making a point) be?
As a matter of fact I was asked to past on this thread, and i do it as a favor as mucg as for personal enjoyment from fellowshiping with other game fans.

Of course I don't expect concensus with my personal opinions. Neither do i expect to be attacked for having and stating them here.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Agreed also, but again, the reverse is also true - OG's slapping down 3e fans as supposedly not really playing D&D is also idiotic.
New D&D is a very different game from O/AD&D, and there's no possible debate regarding that.

As the original author of the two systems from which new D&D springs, I must concur. the new version is not in the spirit of those games. That new D&D is played and enjoyed my many gamers means it is unquestionably a good game in its own right, but it is "D&D" in name only when compared to its progenators.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
In all fairness to EGG, he hasn't said anything here lately he hasn't said all along since 3e was released. Given his history with D&D, and having it basically taken away from him and taken in directions he disagrees with must be galling.
Thanks, but...

It isn't galling to me. it is disappointing in that the soul and spirit of the original creation is totally lost.

Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
ColonelHardisson said:
Ugh, y'know, it used to be a truism that one should never get into a land war in Asia, and this is also true of an Edition War involving D&D. I'm trying to be fair and reasonable about both sides of the argument, but maybe I'm doing more harm than good. I'll hop out of this thread except as a reader so as to avoid the possiblity of anything I post further fanning the flames.

By the way, Gary - I just bought a very nicely preserved copy of the 1e AD&D DMG; my copy is stored away across the country, and falling apart, to boot. The new copy looks pretty close to brand new; the colors on the cover - the Sutherland picture of an efreet fighting a trio of adventureres - are still bright and vibrant. As I paged through it, I was again struck by just how useful a book it is, even today. One of the truly great books of the RPG hobby. Great work.
Falling apart!

Whoa, and you must have been really hard on the old DMG to have it do that. the school book binding, stiching, made the early printings nearly indestructable. I used to test new printings by throwing a book across the room, sit and stand on it, open it and toss it around, fold it back so the covers touched, etc.

Sadly, the expensive binding process was dropped so T$R could make a dime or two more profit from each copy sold :mad:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Wow, talk about a thread high-jack. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the Gary Gygax Q&A thread, right? If people want to go an extended debate about different editions, people who defend/bash different editions and whether people have the right to express their opinions then perhaps someone should start a new thread. As it is I have very little interest in reading such debate in a thread that isn't devoted to it. So what do you say? Start your own thread and have a ball so people can get back to actually having a Q&A with EGG.

Gray Mouser
Damn!

I wish I'd have read your post, Gray Mouser, before I responded to so many of those before it :uhoh:

So, RIGHT ON Brother!

Ciao,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
JohnRTroy said:
Heh,

Be very thankful you guys don't frequent Gary's Political Talk lists. ;) If you get miffed at what version of D&D Gary endorses, I'd hate to see some people's reactions to his political leanings. :uhoh:
It would bring out the Nancy boys in full fury....

...and I am an outspoken Christian too :D

Gary

Last edited:

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Deogolf said:
That seems a little much. What would have Babe Ruth thought about how the game of baseball is played today (I'm a baseball nut :) ). As much as the game has stayed the same, things have also changed quite abit. Most players today have better nutrition, work out facilities, catered "everything" - they don't want for much! They get paid alot more than players back in the day (inflation and cost of living included). The old players actually had second jobs to make ends meet. They had to take long train or bus rides to get to the next city. Blah, blah, blah. Anyway, I'm sure that the Babe would have some few choice words for the players that whine today about "this, that, and the other thing". "In our day, we had to..." I think you get the point.

Its hard to compare players from different eras. Whether its baseball, football, or D&D. Things change. Everyone has their own opinion about things, obviously. If I found out Gary didn't like some of my favorite music groups, I wouldn't stop listening to those groups. I've known Gary for over three years now and played both LA and D&D for the same amount of time. He's a great guy and alot of fun! Very inventive and has a very sharp mind! Do we agree on everything, I doubt it. But we do agree on one thing - Have fun and enjoy the game! That's what it is, a game. Nothing more, nothing less. But, it is a great game - no matter what version!

:D
Heh,

Well, I know we areee on more than having fun gaming. You aren't a whiner and don't have your head where the sun doesn't shine :lol:

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Jason Rulesreader said:
Hello Gary!

Can you tell me any information about scrubby miniatures? I think thats what they are called.

Also, could you fill me in on what miniatures you guys used back say circa 71-74 for the fantastic supplement of Chainmail?
Answered on the Dragonsfot boards, right?

cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
To all:

If I missed responding to a post here, sorry. Holler at me, and I'll make amends. What a chore hurrying through all the lively comments and trying to do justice to each! Stimulating but demanding, and I am trying to finish and go off to have some party time :lol:

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads