TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dcas

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Well...

Frank can speak for himself, but from my persepctive it seems as if his real life affairs take up the vast majority of his time, so not much writing is likely to come from his pen.

But of course. I was just hoping to see "The Dwarven Quest for the Rod of Seven Parts" in print some day. :cool:

ScottyG

First Post
Another adventure from the author/editor team responsible for The Keep on the Borderlands, and The Temple of Elemental Evil is good news indeed. If you go the C&C route, perhaps you could work it into the Yggsburg wilderness area.
Have you resumed serious development of the upper ruins and dungeon levels? You know your little olde guard kobolds are just dying to be introduced to the gaming public.
Scott

Last edited:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Col_Pladoh said:
Speaking of tourists...

Frank Mentzer came by yesterday, and we had several hours to sit on the front porch here--the weather being great--and chew the fat. Speaking of chewing, this morinng I am devouring excellent bakery goodies Frank was kind enough to bring here from the Baker's House in Minoqua, or maybe they were from his new Baker's House store in Wausau :D

Frank mentioned that I needed to get busy and get more modules out, wouold I care to co-create with him? He was not pleased when I told him my creative energy is not great, so new material is going to be scarse. He then asked if there was any of my old adventure material available. As it turned out there is a DMG tournament module I created back in c. 1974, ran around 1976 or 1977 at the DMG con all by myself for groups of 20 gamers per team, 100 total in the tournament.

We are considering Frank fleshing it out for publication as a generic or perhaps a C&C game system adventure. It is mainly an outdor expedition and has eight fukll-page maps.

Cheers,
Gary

This sounds great, Colonel. I'm looking forward to seeing a collaboration in the (near) future between you gentlemen. BTW, I'd cast my vote for a C&C venture as it seems quite easy to convert to 1e AD&D :)

Gray Mouser

PS
20 gamers a team!?!? Hope they weren't running multiple PC's!

Frank Mentzer

First Post
ScottyG said:
from the author/editor team responsible for The Keep on the Borderlands...

Neigh I say (horse from a day of gaming) and nay again. This earns the obvious placement in the orb of a swine, but I am moved (by my prediliction to garrulous diversions no doubt) to clarify the matter.

I was spurned as a designer but nonetheless offered a staff position as a mere editor at TSR. I felt that the reasoning was less due to my minimal editing credits than to the feel for the essence of the game that I displayed during a long-distance telephone interview (with Mssrs. Schick and Johnson) in late 1979.

'twas thus 1980, and I was newly arrived in the legendary Lake Geneva. Tho not unwise in the ways of polite society, my position was still tenuous indeed in the service of the eminent publisher. I was not schooled in the behind-the-scenes behavior of the Great Ones, and my naivete hung o'er my desk in great invisible clouds seen only by those who had been flailed into paranoia and caution by the iron whim of certain local authors.

The introductory adventure "In Search of the Unknown" was contained within each and every D&D set, but this august work was slated for replacement by an a broader one containing a base of operations, with adventure potential oozing from every nearby cave. This Gygaxian endeavor, the aforementioned "Keep on the Borderlands", did arrive on my 'humble editor's desk by mere chance -- perhaps no other dared to risk the thunderous voice and furrowed brow of the company's near-mythic President, should errors be made -- and I was strictly admonished to correct blatant spelling errors only, with no development or rewriting allowed. And that I did, adequately I trust, but in the course of this simple task one glaring omission became obvious; the Keep contained multiple clerics but no chapel for their work. After considering the matter, especially the hectic schedule being kept by the Boss during this turbulent era, I took it upon myself to write up a suggested Chapel (if one must point out problems a solution should be included, if only as a shield usable in self-defense) and sent it over via interoffice mail.

When my actions were revealed to my comrades, they started making preparations for a farewell party, sure that I would be fricasseed by my temerity. It startled everyone that Gary's prompt response was so placid -- "Yup, I left that out, this is fine, run it" -- and thereafter I was treated with an extra milligram (no more) of respect, just for surviving the affair.

Although I later veered to the true border of dismissal when I failed to notice a major error in the Dungeon! boardgame reprint, I weathered that too, and Gary and I became acquaintances and eventually friends. I even work still at the same desk as when I edited KotB, a clunky old oaken thing upon which Gary first labored to type the manuscript for the first Dungeons & Dragons game.

But don't credit me for any part of the creation of "Keep on the Borderlands" -- at least, nothing but one small Chapel tucked away amidst the vast array of sites and challenges therein, and a routine bit of spellchecking that is nowadays easily performed by the least of computer chips.

FM

gideon_thorne

First Post
True genius need not pretend to humility. And that goes for the pair of you. :)

Frank Mentzer said:
I was spurned as a designer but nonetheless offered a staff position as a mere editor at TSR. I felt that the reasoning was less due to my minimal editing credits than to the feel for the essence of the game that I displayed during a long-distance telephone interview (with Mssrs. Schick and Johnson) in late 1979.

weasel fierce

First Post
Frank, if you don't mind me asking (you answered a question or two for me, a while ago on Dragonsfoot), the literary inspiration that Gary had is rather well known (what with the list in the DMG and all), but what do you consider your main sources of inspiration, litterature wise ?

To you, what /is/ D&D, withoutm of course, being D&D

Also, a practicality. In your basic D&D set, clerics are mentioned to be unable to cast reversed spells untill 4th level. Was this left simply to save space in the basic book ?
It does raise a question, as regards neutral clerics, as they must choose either normal, or revised. Is this choice done at 4th level, or from the start, or what did you imagine ? (if you remember, that is)

Cheers!

Frank Mentzer

First Post
weasel fierce said:
Frank, if you don't mind me asking (you answered a question or two for me, a while ago on Dragonsfoot), the literary inspiration...
Also, a practicality....

I must demur, this being Gary's dais (albeit an oxymoronic living archive) and, anticipating the followup question, must also reluctantly concur with his earlier comment; I am quite busy these days on matters not involving Important Things (i.e. gaming), and cannot support a board of my own hereabouts. I do believe my bakery is, in its little way, just as revolutionary in concept as was D&D in its realm, but again this is not the place (the kernel's corn notwithstanding).

You are thus welcome to goad me over on Dragonsfoot, and I'll respond as soon as possible.

F

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Colonel, I was just pondering the possible collaboration between you and Frank Mentzer and was wondering if there was a chance to possibly do the adventure as a double stated C&C/LA module (I know you've done LA/d20 stuff in the past).

just a thought.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gentlegamer said:
I'm sure this question has been addressed in the many hundreds of posts of this ongoing Q&A:

Will the key for CASTLE ZAGYG include where to place DUNGEONLAND, LAND BEYOND THE MAGIC MIRROR, and ISLE OF THE APE?
Not on your life!

Those are the copyrighted property of Wizards of the Coast. If a GM wishes to have a transporter located somewhere in the dungeon levels of Castle Zagyg that takes PCs to such adventure modules, that will be up to him.

Cheers,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases