TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

JRRNeiklot

First Post
You are most welcome. Fortunately, I had a copy of Flashing Swords #1 lying around with this novella in it. Great anthology btw, and I heartily recommend it. It contains the following stories:

# • Of Swordsmen and Sorcerers • Lin Carter
# 26 • The Sadness of the Executioner • Fritz Leiber
# 44 • Morreion • Jack Vance •
# 120 • The Merman's Children • Poul Anderson •
# 203 • The Higher Heresies of Oolimar • Lin Carter

Last edited:

Gray Mouser

First Post
Hey Gary, hope this post finds you doing well. I have a question that was formulated partly due to the recent discussion regarding the location of Yggsburgh and Greyhawkian geography. I was just wondering if you've ever run any adventures in your campaign that took place in or around the Nyr Dyv. Given the rules for underwater combat and spell casting in the DMG I would think that you might have used the Lake of Unknown Depths as a place for play-testing!

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
NojBad said:
Heh, I was more generous and allowed just such a "barbarian prince" unordered Avatar some years back in one of our early campaigns. His name was Clannarg Tyg and he packed a punch in combat with a combination of Savagery, Physique and Chivalry. IIRC his background set him up as the son of a hill chief who had been taken hostage by a Mirsylvanian noble. Taking a shine to the savage young warrior the noble taught him some of the knightly ways. Death comes even to combat monsters like Clannarg though and he was killed by spiders long ago.

Jon
Well Amigo...
I will allow someone with Savagery to have Chivalry as their fifth Ability, or an Avatar with high Chivalry to have Savagery as a fifth default one, but never with both amongst the four chosen Abilities. That's surely logical as the two Abilities are just about diametrically opposed in conception.

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Hey Gary, I was flipping through an old issue of Dragon and came across the name Theron Kuntz on a wargamming article. Is that Rob's brother or somthing? Just curious.
Theron "Terry" Kuntz is Rob's older brother, his PC being Terik;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gutboy Barrelhouse said:
Hail, Good Colonel:
My question is about the provenance of IOUN stones. As far as I've seen, the earliest appearance of IOUN stones in Mr. Vance's work is in Rhialto the Marvellous, which bears a copyright date of 1984 - and IOUN stones predate this in D&D.
Did IOUN stones start in D&D and were later borrowed by Vance?
Or was Rhialto written before the copyright date I have?

Cheers,
GBBH
Ioun stones are absolutely the creation of author Jack Vance, and they were used in the AD&D game by his express permission--which he generously gave to me. Of course had the fabulous items in question been created by me, I would have gladly permitted Jack to use them in his writing, but that is not the case ;)

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
It's good to see that nobody got surrey over the matter. Though much of the word play was hackneyed. Mayhaps certain parties could be further coached in the art?

Still it's nice to see that this stage has passed without unseemly incident, for I'd hate to see tongues a wagon on this.

Too bad punning is not a gig that pays well.
Shay-m on you Alan, for returning to such stuff when it was put to bed. You should be whipped for it.

:eek:
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
mythusmage said:
Stated up for original original D&D. :)

Gary has long been an science fiction and fantasy fan, starting from his days as a boy. He was active in fandom at the time, and did correspond with a number of the leading lights of the day. I believe Fritz Leiber played in a few games, and Jack Vance showed an interest. As a matter of fact, Jack played an active role in the design and development of the Dying Earth RPG.

Jack and Gary get to talking about Gary's new game. The subject of magic items in D&D comes up, and Jack offers to allow the use of his ioun stones in D&D. They hash out the stats and Jack writes a few lines of text. Their efforts makes it into issue 4 of The Strategic Review under Jack's byline. Thus is a D&D staple born.

My point? The big names in science fiction and fantasy are approachable. It's a tradition that was established long ago, and largely arose out of the fact most science fiction and fantasy writers were once fans themselves. And a large number are still fans. Say hi, strike up a conversation, but refrain from gushing and acting like a fanboy. Who knows, you might get Fred Pohl involved in your Heechee RPG project. :)
Well said!

Cheers,
Gary

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Gray Mouser said:
Hey Gary, hope this post finds you doing well. I have a question that was formulated partly due to the recent discussion regarding the location of Yggsburgh and Greyhawkian geography. I was just wondering if you've ever run any adventures in your campaign that took place in or around the Nyr Dyv. Given the rules for underwater combat and spell casting in the DMG I would think that you might have used the Lake of Unknown Depths as a place for play-testing!

Thanks in advance.

Gray Mouser
There were indeed plenty of underwater adventures in my AD&D campaign--and since then (see The Hermit for an example), but the action on the Nyr Dyv was confined to ships, the reason quite inexplicable now that I consider it.

Cheerio,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads