TSR Q&A with Gary Gygax

This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the multi-year Q&A sessions held by D&D co-creator Gary Gygax here at EN World, beginning in 2002 and running up until his sad pasing in 2008. Gary's username in the thread below is Col_Pladoh, and his first post in this long thread is Post #39.

Gary_Gygax_Gen_Con_2007.jpg

Zudrak

Explorer
Gsp

Col_Pladoh said:
Ah, but the frequent stops are the main thing. Better pay more, within reason, at one place than have to stop at all those toll booth "plazas" :mad:

Like DCS, I live in the "Delaware Valley", and there are actually two GSP's, North and South. For the North, it is just another road and the tolls are much closer together than in South Jersey. For us in South Jersey and Del. Valley, the GSP is the road that tells you that you're almost to the shore. :) There's only two tolls between the Atlantic City Expressway and Cape May. DCS is right, driving on that road is cake compared to the roads he mentioned.

Steverooo said:

Steverooo, I didn't think so. I was just linking "Steve" with Winwood's group Traffic and their album "John Barleycorn must die". A reach, I know... :uhoh: Oh, well, I'm "so glad we made it"...

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Zudrak said:
..."John Barleycorn must die". A reach, I know... :uhoh: Oh, well, I'm "so glad we made it"...
As for me, I have seen to many a dead soldier bottle of John Barleycorn. Just as did the old NRA of FDR's making, I do my part :lol:

Kampai!
Gary

Henry

Autoexreginated
Gary, a question has arisen in another thread that you may be able to shed some light on...

I've noticed that in the earliest D&D works, D&D was a "fantasy game" or a "war game", with players taking on "roles." By 1977/78, it was full-on referenced in the core books as a "Role-Playing Game".

Do you have a rough idea of when the term Role-Playing Game became the common parlance around the TSR offices, and who really started the reference of "Fantasy Wargaming" with "Role-playing"?

Similarly, you used "hack and slay" for gamers who mainly fight their way out of problems, but do you remember when you heard the term "Hack and Slash" used more often?

Thank you in advance!

Col_Pladoh

Gary Gygax
Henry said:
Gary, a question has arisen in another thread that you may be able to shed some light on...

I've noticed that in the earliest D&D works, D&D was a "fantasy game" or a "war game", with players taking on "roles." By 1977/78, it was full-on referenced in the core books as a "Role-Playing Game".

Do you have a rough idea of when the term Role-Playing Game became the common parlance around the TSR offices, and who really started the reference of "Fantasy Wargaming" with "Role-playing"?

Similarly, you used "hack and slay" for gamers who mainly fight their way out of problems, but do you remember when you heard the term "Hack and Slash" used more often?

Thank you in advance!
Hi Henry:)

Role-playing was common parlayance at TSR in 1976, but who coined the term is something I don't recall. It seems as if it just was there one day, and everyone took to it naturally. Of the term "playing the role" predates role-playing by a long, long time.

To the best of my knowledge "hack & slash" was a term coined by fantasy authors/fans as a put-down for action-based yarns such as Robert E. Howard wrote--and I still love. I believe that "hack & slay" better describes the RPG activity concerned with dungeon crawls and seek & destroy missions common in CRPGs. I do not mean to belittle the entertainment value of such play when I use the term.

Cheers,
Gary

francisca

I got dice older than you.
As always, Gary, thanks for your insight and recollections.

I'm really looking forward to the LGGC at the end of the month. This weekend, I'll be putting the finishing touches on a Basic/Expert adventure I intend to run at the con, and playtesting it monday night.

Col_Pladoh said:
Ah, but the frequent stops are the main thing. Better pay more, within reason, at one place than have to stop at all those toll booth "plazas" :mad:

Cheerio,
Gary

Yup, that's what I meant. It's not the cost; it's the idea of stopping for each local despot to get his silver piece. And the Great Kingdom, one never knows when the robber baron's toll collectors might also demand bribes: "Yeah, the road to Rel Astra's closed to due to, uhh, hobgoblins in spikey armor. It's a real shame. But if you was to gimme that sword, maybe I'd see what I can do."

If the New Jersey example offends, as I recall I-94 northwest of Chicago had a similar toll policy . . . which meant that driving between Madison and Chicago, I preferred Rt. 12 . . . the fact that it went by Lake Geneva had nothing to do with my choice of routes. ;)

Zudrak

Explorer
haakon1 said:
If the New Jersey example offends, as I recall I-94 northwest of Chicago had a similar toll policy . . . which meant that driving between Madison and Chicago, I preferred Rt. 12 . . . the fact that it went by Lake Geneva had nothing to do with my choice of routes. ;)

It doesn't offend. I was just 'splaining, as was DCS, I imagine. When you LIVE in NJ, you pretty much hear all sorts of jokes from out-of-staters -- who still come in and amazingly find nothing wrong with our beaches, skiing, parks, sightseeing, the USS New Jersey... Ha.

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
Col_Pladoh said:
Heh...

The cavalier class was created mainly because all noble warriors were not in the same stamp as Sir Galahad and Roland.

Cheers,
Gary
Right, many were of the same stamp as Launcelot . . .

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hi Gary!

I haven't posted in one of these threads in some time. I just wanted to say "howdy" and also say that having your granddaughter at my school for the past two years was a delightful experience. She's an extremely pleasant, funny, smart girl, and seemed to love hanging out with us in the library any time she could. I think she has a very bright future ahead of her. She speaks of you frequently and fondly and it's evident that she has a great deal of admiration for you. She's also said that she thinks she got her creativity and smarts from your genes. :)

Take care,

Eric Noah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads