Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 147

+ Log in or register to post
Page 147 of 224 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 197 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 2235
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Actually, in my play-testing I used Norse/Teutonic deities for the religious affiliations of the various temples and such in the town. (that's because WotC is the owner of the Greyhawk deities, of course...)
    Fine with me . . . in my Greyhawk campaign, I use the Norse deities for the Suel, the Greek deities for the Baklunish, the American Indian pantheon + the Sumerian pantheon (i.e., old obscure gods) for the Flannae, and the traditional Greyhawk pantheon for the Oeridians. With some little tweaks like Obad-Hai still being Flannae . . .

My Friendly Local Gaming Store (FLGS) doesn't have Yggsburgh yet, but they said they will get it as soon as possible, because "Anything Gygax writes, we buy it."

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    As TLG has expended considerable effort in developing their own world Setting, Erde, I an not sure they would be interested in licensing the WoG--cost and potential return analysis would need to be carefully considered, especially since the setting has been so altered by WotC and Living Greyhawk.
    Whistling happily . . .

What'll PROBABLY happen is that you and Erik Mona (Mr. Dungeon Magazine and Mr. Current Greyhawk) will sit down. You will show him the error of his ways in accepting some of the not-so-good changes to WOG made the 2nd Edition era. He will show you that his own adds to the WOG were much more intelligent. You will tell him but 3.5 e is wrong for this that and the other reason. He will go off with Monte Cook and Rob and whoever, and come up with 4 e, which will be the synthesis of 3 e-ness (rules that work the same way across everything) and AD&D ness (not so rule bogged down that it becomes boring).

You'll be totally healthy, and with Rob and Erik and maybe even Dave Arneson for a little on Blackmoor, you'll create a Renaissance of WOG. With WOG rules that are compatible with: OD&D, AD&D, 2nd Edition, 3.5 e, the new 4th Edition you just made in my fantasy, LA, Castles & Crusades, Hackmaster, Gamma World, Star Wars, GURPS, etc.

I'm holding my breathe, because that's going to happen any day now!

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1

Red Shirts and ToH

Years ago, on the Greyhawk AOL board, Roger Moore told a story of some guys at TSR (probably in the 2nd Edition era) playing through the Tomb of Horrors with a team of kobolds -- not kobolds with character levels, but plain old AD&D 1-4 hp kobolds. Needless to say, the death toll was high, but I believe Roger said his kobold survived? Perhaps his eleventh kobold or something.

Anyhow, if a kobold can survive it, it MUST be easy.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1

My Friendly Local Gaming Store (FLGS) doesn't have Yggsburgh yet, but they said they will get it as soon as possible, because "Anything Gygax writes, we buy it."
    Well Dang!

That's heartening. the next step is to have all the customers say the same thing

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Whistling happily . . .

What'll PROBABLY happen is that you and Erik Mona (Mr. Dungeon Magazine and Mr. Current Greyhawk) will sit down. You will show him the error of his ways in accepting some of the not-so-good changes to WOG made the 2nd Edition era. He will show you that his own adds to the WOG were much more intelligent. You will tell him but 3.5 e is wrong for this that and the other reason. He will go off with Monte Cook and Rob and whoever, and come up with 4 e, which will be the synthesis of 3 e-ness (rules that work the same way across everything) and AD&D ness (not so rule bogged down that it becomes boring).

You'll be totally healthy, and with Rob and Erik and maybe even Dave Arneson for a little on Blackmoor, you'll create a Renaissance of WOG. With WOG rules that are compatible with: OD&D, AD&D, 2nd Edition, 3.5 e, the new 4th Edition you just made in my fantasy, LA, Castles & Crusades, Hackmaster, Gamma World, Star Wars, GURPS, etc.

I'm holding my breathe, because that's going to happen any day now!

Like sure...

Erik Mona is a good fellow, but his view of the perfect RPR and world setting is likely not much similar to mine.

As for Rob, he will need to have his D&D tales completed, and have fnished the Castle Zagyg dungeons with me before he casts an eye towards the WoG

Cheers,
    Gary

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Erik Mona is likely forced to either accept a lot of the changes that have happened, or not write greyhawk at all. given the choice, it seems he accepted the limitations. i remember back in the old days of 2E, he was definitely an advocate of skipping the From the Ashes changes and such.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

CZ Setting?

Gary,

Is Castle Zagyg set in a particular world? (I will order it when I get other C&C and LA stuff - when I finally get paid lol!)

"Maddog" Wright

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by BOZ
    Erik Mona is likely forced to either accept a lot of the changes that have happened, or not write greyhawk at all. given the choice, it seems he accepted the limitations. i remember back in the old days of 2E, he was definitely an advocate of skipping the From the Ashes changes and such.
    I suspect you are correct in that assessment, Boz

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by jwright
    Gary,

Is Castle Zagyg set in a particular world? (I will order it when I get other C&C and LA stuff - when I finally get paid lol!)

"Maddog" Wright
    The area of Yggsburgh, "The Eastmark," is a generic setting. The Trolls will say where it might be well-placed on Erde. For the LA game's Learth I suggest somewhere on the borderland between a Tenoric Pantheon state and that of a state with another pantheon recognized--Olympian likely. The location needs to be one where rivers flow west.

It will fit into the Oerth's Flanmaess too, most likely

Cheers,
    Gary

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Ignore Clangador
    Gary,

What percent of Castle Zagyg is straight out of Castle Greyhawk?

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 147 of 224 FirstFirst ... 47 97 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 197 ... LastLast