Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 187


What's on your mind?

  1. #1861
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ghul
    Mr. Gygax,

    In the Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh book, the knights of Yggsburgh are all classified as fighters of various levels. I was wondering why this is. Shouldn't they just be standard C&C knights?
    The decision to make them fighters was made by the Trolls, not me. Take the matter up with them

    Also, I'd like to mention my Yggsburgh placement in Greyhawk. As you have helpfully suggested in another thread, I will be placing it between the Neen and Ery rivers. "Neen" and "Ery" are the official names listed on most maps found throughout the Flanaess, but for the locals of Yggsburgh, the names Neemo and Urt are used.
    that is strictly up to you, as the material you mention is the IP of WotC

    Also, Dunfalcon = Dyvers. Since Dyvers is about 300 miles west (of course, not by the flight of the crow), it only makes sense that road to Dunfalcon is in fact the road to Dyvers (despite the fact that dun-falcon in name seems to imply grey-hawk). And again, this would be an instance where locals of Yggsburgh refer to a city by a name not considered "official." For sake of verisimilitude, perhaps there are several Dyvers residents who refer to the city by the Yggsburgh designation.
    Literaly translated, dun = gray and a falcon is a type of hawk...

    IMC, Yggsburgh would have a strained relationship with the City of Greyhawk, relishing in its independence from the metroplis north. It is like a sort of sibling rivalry, and because of this, Yggsburgh traders and merchants actually enjoy a better business relationship with the more distant Dunfalcon, or Dyvers.

    Any thoughts on these assertations, esteemed father of the game?

    --Ghul
    Were there a Yggsburgh on the World of Greyhawk, I would agree that there would be no love lost between the two communities, although the smaller town would want to keep well clear of the larger city in regards annoying its neighbor.

    Cheers,
    Gary

 

  • #1862
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ghul
    Mr. Gygax,

    In the Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh book, the knights of Yggsburgh are all classified as fighters of various levels. I was wondering why this is. Shouldn't they just be standard C&C knights?
    The decision to make them fighters was made by the Trolls, not me. Take the matter up with them

    Also, I'd like to mention my Yggsburgh placement in Greyhawk. As you have helpfully suggested in another thread, I will be placing it between the Neen and Ery rivers. "Neen" and "Ery" are the official names listed on most maps found throughout the Flanaess, but for the locals of Yggsburgh, the names Neemo and Urt are used.
    that is strictly up to you, as the material you mention is the IP of WotC

    Also, Dunfalcon = Dyvers. Since Dyvers is about 300 miles west (of course, not by the flight of the crow), it only makes sense that road to Dunfalcon is in fact the road to Dyvers (despite the fact that dun-falcon in name seems to imply grey-hawk). And again, this would be an instance where locals of Yggsburgh refer to a city by a name not considered "official." For sake of verisimilitude, perhaps there are several Dyvers residents who refer to the city by the Yggsburgh designation.
    Literaly translated, dun = gray and a falcon is a type of hawk...

    IMC, Yggsburgh would have a strained relationship with the City of Greyhawk, relishing in its independence from the metroplis north. It is like a sort of sibling rivalry, and because of this, Yggsburgh traders and merchants actually enjoy a better business relationship with the more distant Dunfalcon, or Dyvers.

    Any thoughts on these assertations, esteemed father of the game?

    --Ghul
    Were there a Yggsburgh on the World of Greyhawk, I would agree that there would be no love lost between the two communities, although the smaller town would want to keep well clear of the larger city in regards annoying it, giving it cause to declare hostilities.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1863
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Mentally scheduling . . . yes, that sounds like a good idea.
    Sounds good to me. The LGGC is slated for early July as far as I know.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Last edited by Col_Pladoh; Wednesday, 26th October, 2005 at 08:21 PM.

  • #1864
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Edena_of_Neith
    Ok, gotta ask this.

    Did you read any of the IRs (here, on ENWorld) ?
    If so, what did you think of our chicanery?
    No, as I am really swanped with work of late...despite my proclaimed semi-retirement.

    Point me to them with a URL and I'll be sure to read same and comment there or here

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1865
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    dcas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    504
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore dcas
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Sounds god to me. The LGGC is slated for early July as far as I know.
    Troll Lord Games is proud to announce the second annual Lake Geneva Gaming Convention to be held in Lake Geneva, WI on June 9, 10 and 11 of 2006. The Lake Geneva Gaming Convention will once again be held at The Cove, a resort on the very shores of beautiful Lake Geneva. Returning as honored guests are Gary Gygax, Frank Mentzer, Tom Wham, James Ward, Ernie Gygax, Darlene and Rob Kuntz.
    http://www.trolllord.com/news.htm (scroll down)

  • #1866
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by dcas
    Note that the website for the LGGC in 2006 is down, so that's why I didn't state a firm date

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1867
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Orius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,404
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Orius
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Or with high-level PCs whose players are not power gamers seeking to become demi-gods or greater, rather playing the game in the spirit in which it was meant
    I don't agree if it means players using abilites they've gained over the course of their adventuring careers in a manner that makes sense within the framework of the game. One of the main overlying goals in a level based system is to become more powerful so one can face tougher challenges. I think it's cheap for a DM to simply disallow character abilities he finds inconvenient because he wants to keep running a campaign as if the characters were first or second level.

    But if you mean rules lawyers using interpreations of the rules that go entirely in their favor, then I agree. Flooding a large dungeon with mud does seem quite a bit over the top to me, and as a DM I'd likely try to rein it in as much as possible. And besides, often a group will head down into a dungeon in search of an ancient relic, lost lore or the like, and burying everything in mud doesn't help there. And of course, the other players could come to the DM's assistance here too. Something along the lines of, "Dammit, Flubspell, how the hell are we going to loot this place now?!"
    PbP info here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5396456-post81.html

  • #1868
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Hi Orius,

    Of course the DM can not be so arbitrary as to prevent the PCs from using power gained through long and arduous adventure. However, that isn't likely to make them demi-gods that can simply change thestone of a castle or dungeon complex into mud, eh? Allowing that would be bad Dming in most cases

    I was referring to the latter case you state, in general. I just think it better to prevent such abise up front that to have it used and then mess up some quest the party must complete :\

    Now I am off to play boardgames with Ernie and company!

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #1869
    Registered User
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    JoeGKushner's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,626
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    3

    Ignore JoeGKushner
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    That isn't proof of anythiing more than the brand name recognition of D&D. Having space on a shelf does not equate to actively seeking to enlarge the audience for the product there at Toys R Us or any other consumer outlet, does it?

    Cheers,
    Gary

    Well, it depends on how that product got there. If WoTC actively pursued Toys R Us to place it there, then yes, that's active no? As a starter boxed set, it would make sense and allow Toys R Us to decide if they ever wanted to expanded beyond that, perhaps even to the miniatures which might be a natural fit as Heroscope is also sold by them.

  • #1870
    Father of the Game
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeGKushner
    Well, it depends on how that product got there. If WoTC actively pursued Toys R Us to place it there, then yes, that's active no? As a starter boxed set, it would make sense and allow Toys R Us to decide if they ever wanted to expanded beyond that, perhaps even to the miniatures which might be a natural fit as Heroscope is also sold by them.
    Sorry Amigo,

    WotC pushing goods to their supply chain in no way equates to consumer advertising to enlarge the base audience, aprticularly amongst young males. The fact is that you have supplied no evidence of consumer advertising, and what I said appears valid. I say appears because someone might have evidence of a large and wide-spread consumer advertising and marketing campaign to capture new players for roleplaying. After all TSR did a lot of that...

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 187 of 224 FirstFirst ... 87137177178179180181182183184185186187188189190191192193194195196197 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 904
      Last Post: Tuesday, 10th April, 2007, 10:00 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 518
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th August, 2006, 10:30 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 09:39 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 05:02 PM
    5. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 02:24 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •