Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 57

CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Mark
    Perhaps a thought or two on the passing of David C. Sutherland III when you can, Papa G.?
    Check out 30 Things Can Happen! A System-Free Sourcebook for Fantasy RPGs.

Follow on CMG Google Group, Facebook, Twitter @MarkCMG, and the Creative Mountain Games website, the Grymvald Gazetteer (Campaign Setting) website, and

"Griffins & Grottos" - MF WARS (Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System) & "Surcoat" - MF CMG (Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game) website.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Perhaps a thought or two on the passing of David C. Sutherland III when you can, Papa G.?
    Yes, although I had generally wished to remain silent. Paul Stromberg's excellent eulogy says much, and I have sent it to my lists, psoted it on the www.lejendary.com boards.

My son Luke emailed me when he got his copy of the notice, recalling how he and Dave, at Ernie's instigation, used to play rough-house when he was a very small lad. I have many fond memories of Dave, personal, gaming, and business related.

I mentioned elsewhere how much I loved his making fun of me in cartoons, sitting at my desk with a whip in one hand and my finger on the panic button. Most of my Empire of the Petal Throne gaming memories include Dave Sutherland.

Although we were not in touch for the last years, I prayed nightly for him ever since I learned of his critical illness. Ah well, man is an exhalation...

That's about all I have to say.

Regards,
    Gary

Howdy Gary,

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    I mentioned elsewhere how much I loved his making fun of me in cartoons, sitting at my desk with a whip in one hand and my finger on the panic button.
    You mean this one Gary? These images come from The Strategic Preview: T.S.R. Jobbies, Nos. 3 and 5:

The Commander in Grief himself:

http://www.neonramp.com/~stormber/Whip.jpg

The whole TSR crew circa 1976:

http://www.neonramp.com/~stormber/Crew_76.jpg

Dave also created Shlump Da Orc, his alter ego editor of The Stretegic Preview:

http://www.neonramp.com/~stormber/Shlump.jpg

Dave loved to draw cartoons.

Futures Bright,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul J. Stormberg; Thursday, 9th June, 2005 at 06:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul J. Stormberg

Dave loved to draw cartoons.

*chuckles* This is seriously cool.
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    A thousand thanks, Paul!

I have long lost those old Strategic Previews, and it is so kind of you to post those exerpts here for all to see

As an aside, you must have my "Ultimist Class" April Fools joke too. what a hoot that I received several enthusiastic letters from young power gamers who wanted more information for their Ultimist PCs...

Thanks also for the copy of your eulogy to Dave. I have spread it around wherever it was appropriate.

I'll hoist a pint to Dave and Shlump too this evening as we work on completing some game module work in liew of actually playing

Ciao,
    Gary

Gary being carried, desk & all, to Origins II, is hilarious. Who was supposed to be the Elf?
    Robin Williams (1951-2014)
    You will be missed far more than you ever knew...

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry
    Gary being carried, desk & all, to Origins II, is hilarious. Who was supposed to be the Elf?
    As far as I can recall, that figure was just a generic one, not representing any of the guys that worked there in the old house at 723 Williams Street.

As an aside, that place got so it was really crowded, so we moved off to the Main and Broad location that's now called the Landmark Center here in Lake Geneva. Brian insisted on using the basement (that ran under the next door building) as a warehouse. There had been 12 lanes of bowling alleys there, and I wanted to have it a weekend convention center. Ah well, bitter old memories compounded by Dave's passing :\

Gary

What? Me Worry?
    Defender (Lvl 8)

The Cleveland, OH area, but missing San Diego, CA
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore ColonelHardisson
    Dave's art was pretty ubiquitous in the very early days of D&D, or so it seems to me. In a number of ways, it defined a certain "feel" for the game. Gary, how important to you was art back then, when it came to getting the D&D game together? Do you have any favorite pieces from that time period - namely, the early to mid 70s? Any that you feel exemplify what you were going for with the game?
    "Illegitimis non carborundum." - General Joseph Stilwell

Father of the Game

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelHardisson
    Dave's art was pretty ubiquitous in the very early days of D&D, or so it seems to me. In a number of ways, it defined a certain "feel" for the game. Gary, how important to you was art back then, when it came to getting the D&D game together? Do you have any favorite pieces from that time period - namely, the early to mid 70s? Any that you feel exemplify what you were going for with the game?
    Heh...

An art critic I ain't

What I wanted was cover art that would attract attention to the product, interior illos that were useful to the DM or otherwise attractive/amusing to the reader.

My favorite artist of the time period in question was Dave Trampier. I was always after him to quit re-working his stuff, for he was seldom satisfied with a fine rendition, would keep on and often get a less attractive end result.

Anyway, I surely to wish Tramp would pick up his brishes and palet again.

Cheers,
    Gary

Howdy Gary,

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    As far as I can recall, that figure was just a generic one, not representing any of the guys that worked there in the old house at 723 Williams Street.
    The guy talking to Gary is Theron Kuntz, dressed in a Robinhood outfit.

Having the issues right here in front of me I can say that it does indeed represent all of the company employees in 1976. They were all depicted as characteres in the soap-opera strip called "David Megarry, David Megarry" after "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman".

From left to right we have Mike Carr (note the flying cap and WWI planes), Tim Kask (pipe and cap), Brian Blume (six-shooters and "50 Gallon Hat"), Ernie "The Barbarian" Gygax (carrying desk), Gary Gygax "The Commander in Grief" (riding desk), Terry Kuntz (carrying desk; dressed as Robin Hood), Dave Arneson (wearing "Blackmoor U" shirt), Rob Kuntz (towing a beholder by an eyestalk), and Neil Topolnicki (in Napoleonics regailia). In the building are Dave Sutherland and David Megarry (two voices simultaneous). According to my research that's every employee of the company circa May of 1976. Dave has other drawings, "Shlump Da Orc" for himself and David Megarry is depicted as an intoxicated halfling with loads of curly hair.

http://www.neonramp.com/~stormber/Crew_76.jpg

Futures Bright,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul J. Stormberg; Thursday, 9th June, 2005 at 07:36 PM.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 57 of 224 FirstFirst ... 7474849505152535455565758596061626364656667107157 ... LastLast