Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 78

+ Log in or register to post
Page 78 of 224 FirstFirst ... 28 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 128 178 ... LastLast
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Far from the nearest settlement, away from traveled routes, and high upon a craggy hill. . .

Ignore Quasqueton
    Oh say it isn't so!

Am I breaking your widdle heart because I am saying what I think rather than what YOU think i should say. Get a life.
    wow. I wouldn't have expected such a juvenile response from the esteemed Gary Gygax. Reinforces my feelings.

Quasqueton

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Zudrak
    Quote Originally Posted by Quasqueton
    wow. I wouldn't have expected such a juvenile response from the esteemed Gary Gygax. Reinforces my feelings.

Quasqueton
    Your potshots continue -- and reinforce your disrespect for someone that doesn't like your game. That sounds juvenile to me. Remove the plank from your own eye...

Gary defends his position on the game, his views, and his opinions and you have a problem with that. It sounds like this is not the thread for you -- unless you like stirring pots, trolling, and being a nuisance.

Do you have something constructive to add to the group or should we ignore you from here on out?

-----

Patryn feels slighted because of his inference that EGG views 3e fans as untrue D&D fans. Why should he care what EGG thinks? Just play the freaking game! If it is so important that Gary needs to approve your game, then write out a letter explaining your position with a dotted line that reads "I approve this gamer and his game, E. Gary Gygax". If he signs it, that should sort it out. If he doesn't sign it, go play GURPS.
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Ogremoch, Elemental Prince of Evil (Lvl 23)

Ignore Dannyalcatraz
    If he doesn't sign it, go play GURPS.
    Or Dangerous Journeys!

Originally Posted by 2 other people...they know who they are...
    Well, ...I mean, do chess players sit around denigrating checkers players, and wonder how said players could possibly be having fun? I doubt it.

If chess players deign to noyice them at all, you bet they disdain then
    Side notes about chess & checkers:

1) The queen's full-board range of motion is a relatively new addition to the game. Originally, she could only move 1 space at a time. The chess we're used to is like...14thEd Chess. I wonder if the original players ever got pissy about the changes?

2) While there are computers capable of playing Grandmaster Level Chess, to date, no computer has beaten a Checkers Grand-Champion...and yes, there are such things. (Of course, I don't know that there are any programmers TRYING to program computers to play checkers at a Grand-Champion level.)

And now...back to your regularly scheduled Gary!
    IAAL...and an MBA. No, really!
    Metal School Founder; Campaign Ideas; my 3.X Databases: The Monk, The Martial Arcanist, Aquatic Ideas, The Psychonomicon

Quote Originally Posted by Zudrak
    Patryn feels slighted because of his inference that EGG views 3e fans as untrue D&D fans. Why should he care what EGG thinks?
    Exactly. I admire Gary Gygax for creating fantasy roleplaying, and I read these threads because I'm interested in his reminiscences about the early days of the game, but I could not care less whether or not he'd like the games I play.

Far as I'm concerned the only opinions that matter are those of the people who play with me.
    Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia

Religion must remain an outlet for people who say to themselves, "I am not the kind of person I want to be." It must never sink into an assemblage of the self-satisfied.

- Frank Herbert, Dune

Gary,

I've been curious about how often you restocked your dungeon levels. If a party cleared out a couple of levels and went back to town to heal up and re-equip, could they count on having to clear out the levels again or was it just an issue of random encounters in the areas that had been cleared?

As far as Castle Greyhawk went, did the kobolds go about the business of retaking dungeon levels as soon as the PC's left?

Incidentally, I remember reading somewhere that the lone surviving PC from a party was captured by the kobolds(I think) and asked to be taken to the leader. The PC was a mage and had one spell left which happened to be charm person. Upon meeting the leader, he cast the spell, and the kobold leader failed his save miserably. It sounded like the PC befriended the head kobold and started calling the shots after that. What's the current status of that situation?

-Jamie

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Zudrak
    Quote Originally Posted by mhacdebhandia
    Exactly. I admire Gary Gygax for creating fantasy roleplaying, and I read these threads because I'm interested in his reminiscences about the early days of the game, but I could not care less whether or not he'd like the games I play.

Far as I'm concerned the only opinions that matter are those of the people who play with me.
    Were I to ask Gary if he likes Parcheesi, Mouse Trap, Chutes & Ladders, Jenga, Dark Tower (oops!), Dungeon!, Life, Backgammon, or Trivial Pursuit, chances are there's going to be a game he doesn't like.

[sarcasm] If it's Parcheesi, I'm out of here. [/sarcasm]
    "Yes, but apart from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books." -- E. Gary Gygax

From the 1st edition PHB, p.8:
    "Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    Quote Originally Posted by mhacdebhandia
    I could not care less whether or not he'd like the games I play.

that really ought to be everyone's shared opinion...

i mean, i might feel a little better if gary didn't dislike the changes in D&D so much after his departure from the company, but he (more than anyone) has a right to his feelings, and his feelings don't change the way the game is handled by the company that owns it nor do they change the way anyone but he and those he games and associates with (and those who live by his opinions) will game. i will never be unthankful to the man for coming up with the game and the sheer amount of work he put into afterwords. it would not have been the same then or now if not for his love for his creation.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Mighty Veil
    "Be very thankful you guys don't frequent Gary's Political Talk lists. I'd hate to see some people's reactions to his political leanings. "

I'm actually curious to this list

Creature Cataloguer
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore BOZ
    there are undoubtledly better places to discuss that. perhaps, if you are fortunate, someone will send you a link in a Private Message.
    don't quote me on that.

I am the D&D guru on Wikipedia (because no one else wanted the job!) so check out the D&D Wikiproject!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Mighty Veil
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Oh say it isn't so!

It is my considered opinion that there is noting "modern" about new D&D, and its experience system is an antiquated clunker, so i see it all ias just a rehash of the old systems with more rules with a comic book superhero overlay, no longer based on archetypes.

Gary
    Personally that's what I like most about the D&D/D20 system -- the XP! I always felt Star Frontiers and Marvel should of had an XP system similar to 1E. I don't remember Top Secret anymore. Those being the TSR games I had tried.

What do you mean by super-hero vs. archtypes? I read something on this somewhere by someone. I forget who and the essay.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 78 of 224 FirstFirst ... 28 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 128 178 ... LastLast