Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 90

Two things.

1. Someone mentioned, about a page back, stories available from Google Groups about the ToH & ToEE. I can't seem to find those. Can anyone link me?

2. This joke about the Ultimist class keeps getting mentioned. I hate being left out of in-jokes. Is there anywhere that I can see the text of this 'zine or whatever it was? I'm curious. Also, none of my companions will have heard of it, and I can play the joke on them.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    The Ultimist class was published as a satire piece in Polyhedron about twenty years ago.
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Yeah, I know that. I was wondering if it's scanned in anywhere on the web, or if someone has it as a file.

I don't have so much seniority that I can dig into a box in the closet and find such things, you see.

Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

Ignore RFisher
    Quote Originally Posted by A'koss
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member.
    Of course, you could add a little believability into your game and just say any fall of 40' or greater is automatically lethal unless you land on a forgiving surface or can slow your decent somehow (as it is IRL... actually 30' is generally considered the cutoff point, but I'll be a little generous here. ).
    Yeah. I've been thinking for a while that falls shouldn't affect hp. I've been thinking some kind of actual injury (broken leg/arm--with lack of use of the affected limb--or even death) would be better. With some sort of saving throw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    If you are reading the collected Conan stories published recently, remember, they are arranged by order of publication which is definitely not the chronological order of Conan's life.
    I've got the Fantasy Masterwork duo that are arranged in "life" order instead of "published" order. (I would have preferred published order.)

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz
    No matter where I lived (I was an army brat), our mock-combats used ranged weapons almost exclusively. In Tacoma, Washington, it was little rocks (!); in Stuttgart, Germany, it was Horse Chestnuts, either stripped of their outer casing, or with spikes intact (!!); and in Dallas, Texas, it was "spear grass"- a plant about 6-14" tall that, when plucked, had a hard, dart-like root-ball that if thrown, could draw blood at ranges up to 25'.

We were nuts.
    Indeed, a sort of "spear grass" grows around here, has characteristics as you note, and served as a close-range missile weapon in rock fights. The horse chestnuts here aren't nearly as fne a missile as are green walnuts, those being larger and heavier, but the kids nowadays can't find much countryside with such trees so as to engage in throwing them at each other

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by gideon_thorne
    Horse mounted combat with saber vs lance more or less comprised my 'teen' years.
    Certs!

None doubt that claim, I am sure...

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Certs!

None doubt that claim, I am sure...

Gary
    I can show you video. Reenactor days in California at a lil event we put on at San Pasqual. Dragoon's vs Mexican Lancers.
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Since in the discussions you remember you and others pointed out how much you didn't like "old" D&D and had left the game and only "returned" for "3e," I can't help but point out (by way of clarification) that "3e" and "3.5e" are not D&D, but part of the d20 System rules set. I don't understand why it upsets you so much.
    Quite so!

New D&D is a different game than were D&D and AD&D in their various editions.

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Patryn of Elvenshae
    So, when you weren't DMing D&D (in whatever flavor your preference at the time was), what other games did you or your gaming group prefer to run? And, if you've got more than a couple moments, what was it about those systems you particularly enjoyed?
    Speaking for me...

I was always happy to play just about any RPG somneone else was GMing. My favorite was Metamorphosis Alpha, as I love the mix of whimsey and menace embroidered into the science fantasy basis. Of course I played every one of the other RPGs TSR published, and enjoyed them all, especially Boot Hill. My son Luke ran a brief campaign of Top Secret, but quit as the game wasn't properly supported. We also played Paranoia, Traveller, and CoC when there was a willing GM.

Frankly, with a good GM, with or without other enthusiastic players, I just love to have at roleplaying--or just about any other game. That's why I don't get invlved in computer games or play online, as I'd do nothing else

Cheers,
    Gary

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Mouser

BTW, I have a question for you regarding the World of Greyhawk setting. I was just perusing the encounter tables in the glossography recently and noticed that a fait amount of them include results for "Men, Cavemen" (areas such as Blackmoor, Sterich, Valley of the Mage, the Barrier Peacks, Crystalmist Mountains and Jotens, the Clatspur Range and Yatil Mountains, the Hellfurnaces) and even a "Use Plestocine Conditions Encounter Table" (Sulhaut Mountains).

Did you envisions these as the WoGH's "Lost World" type areas (particularly the Sulhauts)? I noticed they were fairly spread out on the map so it could also have been simply considering the Cavemen as a less developed subset of humans. Also, did any of the OC's in your campaign ever encounter their Neanderthal brethren or any Plestocine creatures in the WoGH proper (not, for instance, in Isle of the Ape)?

Gray Mouser
    Yes, I had the Sulhaut Mountains as the "Lost world" setting in my compaign, although we never did much of anything there as events kept the PCs bust elsewhere. (I wanted to do something fun with the 'Rift as well, but never got there. when i was using the pre-WoG map for my world setting the West Coast of North america was the Plestocine region inhabited by savage cavemen and their contemporary fauna.

Otherwise, I did consider that subhuman cavemen were a not uncommon peril to encounter in remote wildernedd areas

Cheers,
    Gary

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 90 of 224 FirstFirst ... 408081828384858687888990919293949596979899100140190 ... LastLast