Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 93

+ Log in or register to post
Page 93 of 224 FirstFirst ... 43 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 143 193 ... LastLast
    Most Honored Colonel:

What is the significance of the optional "Nessus Shirt Company" tag in the Cloak of Poisonousness in the 1e DMG?

Thanks.
    Areas of strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible. -Teleport

Quote Originally Posted by VirgilCaine
    Most Honored Colonel:

What is the significance of the optional "Nessus Shirt Company" tag in the Cloak of Poisonousness in the 1e DMG?

Thanks.
    Ooh! I got that one!

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Mythology/Nessus.html
    "A rock on a stick has a 5' reach unless otherwise specified."

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore ScottyG
    There's a link to the Ultimist class here:
    http://doomsdaygames.proboards3.com/...ead=1120619942
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Patryn of Elvenshae
    Ah. I understand now.
    Areas of strong physical or magical energy may make teleportation more hazardous or even impossible. -Teleport

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Midwest, USA, Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Local Group, The Mind of God.

Ignore Steverooo
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    For how I'd write an FRPG these days, just take a look at the Lejendary Adventure game

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyG
    There's a link to the Ultimist class here:
    http://doomsdaygames.proboards3.com/...ead=1120619942
    Scott
    It would seem that d20 Fantasy can indeed make the claim of being old school in that it provides the means to basically create Ultimist PCs . . .

Here's a direct link: http://www3.telus.net/vancouverwes/r...f/ultimist.htm
    Last edited by Gentlegamer; Thursday, 7th July, 2005 at 01:04 PM.
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by VirgilCaine
    Ah. I understand now.
    Heh...

So would you care to spend the night free of charge at Procrustes' Inn?

Heh,
    Gary

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    Some folks just don't handle the truth well

Cheers,
    Gary

I recently skimmed through the original D&D rules recently, and I have to say what grabbed my attention wasn't what changed over the last 30 years, but rather how much of the original game is still a part of the game in some form. Changes seem to consist more of things that have been added rather than things that that have been radically altered (with a few exceptions here and there).

I also think that the flavor of the game is partially a matter of who's DMing it. I seriously doubt any 2 DMs out there run the game in exactly the same way.

Even though I prefer to run 3e rules, I do not run an "anything goes" type of campaign. The half-dragon/half-vampire character mentioned earlier in this thread would almost certainly be disallowed in my games. I'm not really all that fond of lots of different subraces for that matter; I prefer keeping choices limited to the PHB in a general sort of campaign (and there's plenty of choices there for the players). A lot of DMs complain about how there's too many options that make PCs too powerful; I'd say those DMs have to learn how to say "NO" to material that's meant to be optional (and this isn't a 3e matter only, there were lots of similar complaints back in the 2e days as well).
    PbP info here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5396456-post81.html

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1

D&D Movie

[QUOTE=Mighty Veil]I find myself watching the D&D movie on TV. Never watched it before. Half-way through I can honestly say this. I wish I had woke up earlier to catch "Man Who Would Be King" instead. Awful movie. [QUOTE]

Yeah, there was some painful stuff in there.

Best D&Desque movie: LOTR, 13th Warrior, Willow, Braveheart, Conan the Barbarian, or "other" (Adventures of Robin Hood, Princess Bride, Holy Grail, etc.)?

They're all great, but I think 13th Warrior is closest to a D&D adventure, at least as I like to play it.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 93 of 224 FirstFirst ... 43 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 143 193 ... LastLast