Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 96




What's on your mind?

  1. #951
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Dave Sutherland has gone home . . .
    Amen, Brother.

    The gathering was quite large, saw a number of people U hadn't talked to in years, and it is likely that a perpetual scholarship fund for an art student will come out of it. Dave would be very pleased

    Cheers,
    Gary

 

  • #952
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Steverooo
    I agree; you don't!
    Tell Us O Light of the Ages,

    What immutable truths will you deign to impart upon such lowly vessels?

    Gary

  • #953
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelryinth
    Mr Gygax, a little history help if you will...

    The rakshasa in the original Monster Manual can be killed instantly by a shot from a blessed crossbow bolt. Assuming this is based on historical Indian mythology, where did you find this weakness? It seems the original Ramayana story line has Rama using an arrow or spear to kill Ravenna, and I know someone who is interested in hearing where you got this particular weakness with crossbows from.

    Thank you!

    ==+Aelryinth
    Heh...

    That was covered earlier, here I think, although it might have been on another board. No Matter.

    I was a fan of Kolchack, the Night Stalker, when it first aired, and sure enough they had a rakshasa as a monstrous evil on that show. I liked the idea of the demon being destroyed by a blessed wooden crossbow bolt, that being akin to the stake through a vampire's heart, so I went with that in the MM.

    Nowadays I'd be less prone to allowing so easy an answer to the threat of a rakshasa, although not many adventuring parties are equipped with a crossbow and blessed bolts.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #954
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    scadgrad's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    381

    Ignore scadgrad
    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Heh...

    That was covered earlier, here I think, although it might have been on another board. No Matter.

    I was a fan of Kolchack, the Night Stalker, when it first aired, and sure enough they had a rakshasa as a monstrous evil on that show. I liked the idea of the demon being destroyed by a blessed wooden crossbow bolt, that being akin to the stake through a vampire's heart, so I went with that in the MM.

    Nowadays I'd be less prone to allowing so easy an answer to the threat of a rakshasa, although not many adventuring parties are equipped with a crossbow and blessed bolts.

    Cheers,
    Gary
    Gary,

    Wow, yet another Night Stalker fan. Man I remember that being one of the only shows that actually frightned me as a kid. I thought the Rakshasa and the Doppleganger episodes were both truly frightening. Of course, were I to see them today, I'd probably not think so much of them; the lens of nostlagia and all that.

    Care to comment on how Castle Zagyg is progressing at this point?
    Gleefully slaying PCs since 1979

  • #955
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

    SpiderMonkey's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Pella, IA
    Posts
    480

    Ignore SpiderMonkey
    My communities:

    This isn't so much a question or a game-related comment as much as it is an opportunity to say thank you, Gary. I picked D&D up when I was younger, and it opened up a lot of doors for me, particularly with reading and history. I'm now studying English Pedagogy at the Masters level, and I suspect that if it weren't for D&D, I might not have gotten interested in reading and writing at all. I still play whenever possible, and it has probably been one of the more defining aspects of my life for the past 18 years. So thank you, for that and for things like this thread; it's an unusual and welcome gesture from an industry personality of any sort, let alone the progenitor of an entire genre!

    So...er...how 'bout 'dem Packers? :P
    According to http://www.angelfire.com/dragon/terragf/:
    LG H-Orc Paladin (who'da thunk?)

    According to http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=62192:
    Storyteller 100%, Butt-Kicker 92%, Tactician 92%, Method Actor 67%, Power Gamer 67%, Specialist 50%, Casual Gamer 33%

  • #956
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by scadgrad
    Gary,

    Wow, yet another Night Stalker fan. Man I remember that being one of the only shows that actually frightned me as a kid. I thought the Rakshasa and the Doppleganger episodes were both truly frightening. Of course, were I to see them today, I'd probably not think so much of them; the lens of nostlagia and all that.

    Care to comment on how Castle Zagyg is progressing at this point?
    As a lad I was terrified by the events depicted in She, the Return of Frankenstein, and the old Ghost of Dracula films--that I snuck away to see. When I walked home on a winter's night after seeing The Thing, I was keeping well away from the darkly shadowed bushes along my route

    As for the CZ project, the Yggsburgh maps are all done, and the Trolls plan to have it for a GenCon release. I have not been sufficiently well to work the long hours necessary to do the castle and dungeon levels, though. that project will demand long daily hours of intense concentration that I am not yet up to managing.

    Cheers,
    Gary

  • #957
    Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

    Col_Pladoh's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lake Geneva, WI
    Posts
    4,756

    Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderMonkey
    This isn't so much a question or a game-related comment as much as it is an opportunity to say thank you, Gary. I picked D&D up when I was younger, and it opened up a lot of doors for me, particularly with reading and history. I'm now studying English Pedagogy at the Masters level, and I suspect that if it weren't for D&D, I might not have gotten interested in reading and writing at all. I still play whenever possible, and it has probably been one of the more defining aspects of my life for the past 18 years. So thank you, for that and for things like this thread; it's an unusual and welcome gesture from an industry personality of any sort, let alone the progenitor of an entire genre!

    So...er...how 'bout 'dem Packers? :P
    Your kind words are greatly appreciated. It is always heartening to learn how my work aided someone in focusing their potential

    As someone born in Chicago, I am a Bears fan first and foremost, and I recall their glory days in the 1940. We lived near Wrigley field where they played then... I have a guilty secret, though I have watched and rooted for the Packers since Bart Starr was the QB, and if the Bears can't make the playoffs, than I am 100% behind the Pack. I am wondering who they can get to step into Favre's shoes, although he might have another few good seasons, he is getting old for a football player.

    BTW, having been in Bear's regalia at a Bear-Packer game at Lambeau Field, I was impressed with the general goodwill of the Packer fans after their team really spanked the Bears

    Cheerio,
    Gary

  • #958
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Orius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,404

    Ignore Orius
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    My manner of operating TSR differed radicaly frm that of the Blume brothers who took over management of the company and ran it into the ground. Then Lorraine Williams directed things so that it was, to the best of my knowledge, at least over $30 million in debt when WotC acquired TSR. I do believe that the method of doing business by Wizards is not one that best serves the D&D game audience or the game itself, but time will tell.
    Well, I'm no expert on the marketing of RPG by any stretch of the imagination, but from reading the bits on the background of the various D&D settings that was presented in Dragon 315, I got the impression that TSR spent a great deal of time during the 2e era trying to come up with the next Dragonlance. According to the issue, the original Dragonlance modules and novels were unexpectedly a big hit, and it seems that TSR management wanted another big hit along the same lines. So there were a number of different campaign settings released, each with adventures, expansions, novels and so on. Several people who worked for TSR near the end who later went over to WotC have blamed TSR's bankrupcy on the fact that the different settings essentially fragmented the D&D player base by having too many diverse products but not enough players to support them.

    I'm sure TSR's attempt to cash in on the collectable card game fad in the mid 90's with not 1 but 2 different games didn't help either. Their 1996 release schedule had something like two dozen or so splatbooks and adventures for core AD&D, maybe a half a dozen campaign settings each with at least 1 or 2 adventures/expansions/novels being published each month, whatever products (and I think there was at least 3 or 4 of them) they were releasing for Spellfire (TSR's big CCG), several expansion sets for Dragon Dice (their collectible dice game), and probably an assortment of other various products. And all this when they were supposedly having difficulty paying their bills on time.

    And the silly decision to sue people who were putting up home brewed material on the web for copyright infringement was a rather boneheaded move that alienated a number of players that TSR couldn't affor to lose at the time.

    As for WotC, I think a lot of people are suspiscious of them because of all the screw ups TSR made in their last few years. TSR was run by a bunch of suits who didn't know jack about the game industry and didn't really care what the average gamer thought, and a lot of people seem to think the same thing about WotC. There's also gamers who liked some of the settings that TSR cranked out, but that WotC decided to axe in favor of focusing support on the 2 big settings instead: Greyhawk and the Forgotten Realms, and some of them are still bitter. Another common gripe is that WotC doesn't bother to publish adventures. WotC was moving away from DM-only material there for a while, since such products have less potential buyers, and there's publishing costs for them to consider. However it seems they've changed their mind on that a little bit as I've read here on ENWorld that they're planning to produce some adventures again soon. WotC's revision of the 3e rules 2 years ago also created a great deal of suspicion that they're only interested in profiting off the game. But on the whole, I think they're doing a fair job with the game. I'd say their biggest problem is not doing enough to promote the game to new players.
    PbP info here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5396456-post81.html

  • #959
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Orius's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    4,404

    Ignore Orius
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    In my considered opinion, spiked armor is the worst sort of dungeonpunk, worse that multi-buckled designer leather costuming passing for armor
    Well, I certainly agree with you there. I've never been a big fan of the spiked armor, heavy tattoos and body piercing, and excessive buckles that marked early 3e art. The mishmash armor that is shown on several characters that looked liked they were equipped with bits and pieces scavanged from a battlefield was also something that I dislike strongly as well.
    PbP info here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/5396456-post81.html

  • #960
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Wolv0rine's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Medford, Oregon
    Posts
    788

    Ignore Wolv0rine
    Quote Originally Posted by Orius
    Well, I certainly agree with you there. I've never been a big fan of the spiked armor, heavy tattoos and body piercing, and excessive buckles that marked early 3e art. The mishmash armor that is shown on several characters that looked liked they were equipped with bits and pieces scavanged from a battlefield was also something that I dislike strongly as well.
    Well, while I found the spiked armor a bit much (there are pros to it, but I think the cons far outweigh them), and while the plethora of buckles look can be visually amusing (and interesting for the artist on occasion) but is still completely and unavoidably ill-advised... I can say that the mish-mash armor look is something that I do tend to like. It's not like everyone can afford to have a full set of matching gucci armor custom-made for them (and matching custom pieces to replace any broken or lost pieces). Mis-matched armor is what you're really likely to end up with after any given amount of time in the field. It's one of the few believable things I do see in such artwork. I usually try to include at least a small piece of something that doesn't match a character's outfit when I do illustration work, just to add that small imperfection to the overall whole.

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 96 of 224 FirstFirst ... 468687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106146196 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XII
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 904
      Last Post: Tuesday, 10th April, 2007, 09:00 PM
    2. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part XI
      By Col_Pladoh in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 518
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th August, 2006, 09:30 PM
    3. Gary Gygax Q&A: Part X
      By Tuzenbach in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 484
      Last Post: Thursday, 6th July, 2006, 08:39 PM
    4. Gary Gygax Q&A: part VII
      By grodog in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 490
      Last Post: Sunday, 20th February, 2005, 04:02 PM
    5. Gary Gygax Q&A, Part V
      By grodog in forum Archive-threads
      Replies: 213
      Last Post: Thursday, 4th March, 2004, 01:24 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •