Gary Gygax Q&A, Part IX - Page 99

What's on your mind?

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    My communities:

I'm only 27, but since I'm immune to "chronological snobbery," I usually think of myself as an "oldschooler," too (and not just in gaming).
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    I'm only 27, but since I'm immune to "chronological snobbery," I usually think of myself as an "oldschooler," too (and not just in gaming).
    Heh,

Most of the "chronological snobbery" comes from the low end towards the high end of accumulated years

Cheers,
    Gary

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore Gentlegamer
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Col_Pladoh
    Heh,

Most of the "chronological snobbery" comes from the low end towards the high end of accumulated years
    Quite true! I use the term as C. S. Lewis originally coined it: discounting what came before simply because it came before. Best described as an obsession with the present and "fadishness."
    Words of wisdom from Gary Gygax:

From my perspective wanting less in the way of rules constraints comes from being a veteran Game Master who feels confident that more good material comes from imagination and player interaction with the environment than from textbook rules material.
    more words of wisdom:

• Rashness and foolhardiness are harbingers of death, as is timidity, in such adventure setting.
    • Those that complain about real challenges might be better off playing Candyland with their little sister
    • First and foremost, munchkinism arose as a contemporary of the OD&D game. Nothing in the rules of that or any other version of the game was needed to make it flourish.
    • There is no relationship between 3E and original D&D, or OAD&D for that matter. Different games, style, and spirit.
    • [E]xperience has taught me that everyone has their own gaming preferences, and it is not a matter of "good" or "bad" in all, save in light of one's own preferences.

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer
    Quite true! I use the term as C. S. Lewis originally coined it: discounting what came before simply because it came before. Best described as an obsession with the present and "fadishness."
    Can you say LA/Hollywood?

Gary

Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore haakon1
    My communities:

Gaxmoor?

Hey Gary,

Where, if anywhere, would you put Gaxmoor in the World of Greyhawk? Seems like maybe the frontiers of the Great Kingdom -- Bone March or Medegia.

I think I know where to put your Castle when it's done . . .

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Hey Gary,

Where, if anywhere, would you put Gaxmoor in the World of Greyhawk? Seems like maybe the frontiers of the Great Kingdom -- Bone March or Medegia.

I hadn't thought about a placement on the Oeridian continent, but Haakon, I agree with you that it needs to be in the east around the Great Kingdom. Bone March is an excellent choice.

If you have the short intro I did for the module, the encounter with the gnoll raiders, that fits will with bone March or Medigia as well.

Ciao,
    Gary

Novice (Lvl 1)

Ignore trollwad
    My communities:

Actually where would you put yggsburgh if you want to keep greyhawk as is? somewhere in the cairn hills to the south not far from the swamp?

Father of the Game

Ignore Col_Pladoh
    Quote Originally Posted by trollwad
    Actually where would you put yggsburgh if you want to keep greyhawk as is? somewhere in the cairn hills to the south not far from the swamp?
    Heh...

Well, Yggsburgh it at a river junction, there's a large free city westwards at the mouth of the River Nemo, there are lots of hills around, mainly northwards, and there are some marshes near to it also, so your suggestion seems appropos

Cheers,
    Gary

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore ScottyG
    Quote Originally Posted by haakon1
    Hey Gary,

I worked with Ernie on Gaxmoor. In the playtest/in the original background info, Gaxmoor was set on the western edge of Veluna, an area that could be reached with relative ease by the pre-migration Oeridians.
    In my home campaign, I changed Gaxmoor to one of the first post-migration cities founded by the Oeridians. I placed it in Sunndi. I also changed the patron god of the place from Farlanghn to Pholtus. I tied the whole thing to Rob Kuntz's Maze of Xaene/Zayene series (set in the Great Kingdom), by making Zayene the one responsible for pulling the city back to the prime.
    Scott

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore gideon_thorne
    My communities:

Quite right. Campaigns and battlefield conditions, one would 'pick up' bits and pieces. Momentos of fallen comrads can fit in here as well. Aragon with Boromir's bracers is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolv0rine
    I can say that the mish-mash armor look is something that I do tend to like. It's not like everyone can afford to have a full set of matching gucci armor custom-made for them (and matching custom pieces to replace any broken or lost pieces). Mis-matched armor is what you're really likely to end up with after any given amount of time in the field. It's one of the few believable things I do see in such artwork. I usually try to include at least a small piece of something that doesn't match a character's outfit when I do illustration work, just to add that small imperfection to the overall whole.
    Peter

C&C Art Troll

www.ravenchilde.com

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 99 of 224 FirstFirst ... 498990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109149199 ... LastLast