pure arcanist (template)

A Crazy Fool

First Post
I need help with level adjusts and cr, badly

a pure arcanist looks much like the creature did originaly but it seems to be composed of pure arcane energy color changes depend upon the type of spellcaster (colors are dms' discretion)

this template may only be applied to a creature that can cast 3rd level arcane spells of any sort.

size and type: changes to elemental (arcane)
hd: no change
speed: default speed +10ft gains fly 10 ft perfect if it could not already fly before
ac: loses all natural armor +s and gains an ac bonus equal to cha+1 minimum +2, this ac applies against inorporeal attacks
attacks: force touch 1d6+1 (force)
special qualities: no anatomy, damage reduction 10/cold iorn, sr 5+class levels (max 20) or creatures natural SR whichever is higher, +1 to caster level (this affects spells known as well) detect magic reveals a hidden pure arcanist (but not invisible or similar condition). provides ilumination as a torch (supressable). ageless, alter self at will with infininte duration loses force based attacks and abilities in new form (this includes armor bonuses) it keeps DR etc. does not need to sleep, needs to meditate for 6 hours per day to function normally.
Abilities: dex +2 int +2 wis +2 cha +2, key ability score for casting gets an aditional plus 2
CR: +?
LA: +?

Last edited:

DnDChick

Demon Queen of Templates
It gains a lot of new abilities, but doesn't lose much in return. I would say:

CR = base creature +3
LA = +3

Last edited:

A Crazy Fool

First Post
it can't be a +5 the lich is stronger than it by far. harder because of DR 15 (and stricter), imunities, d12 hd, special attacks and skill bonuses. I think it is a strong +3 like the half dragon in retrospect

Krishnath

First Post
Let's break it down, shall we.

Elemental Type. - +1 LA
Gains fly speed at perfect manouverability - +1 LA
Deflection bonus to AC - +1 LA
Touch attack that deals force damage. - +1 LA
Damage reduction 5/cold iron. - +1 LA
+1 caster level (on all spells and spell-like abilities!) +1
Spell Resistance - +1 LA
Ageless (doesn't really affect enything in the game) - +0 LA
Alter Self at will (and infinite duration). - at least a +1 LA
Sleep Immunity (not game breaking, elves have it). - +0 LA
Unbalanced Ability scores, all bonuses. - +1 LA

Sorry, should be LA +9.

A Crazy Fool

First Post
alter self is a disadvantage with respect to combat. a fly speed does not always merit an la as long as the creature is in a party above lv5 (since this template can only be applied to at least a lv5 caster it is trivial) especially at such a low speed

Krishnath

First Post
A Crazy Fool said:
alter self is a disadvantage with respect to combat. a fly speed does not always merit an la as long as the creature is in a party above lv5 (since this template can only be applied to at least a lv5 caster it is trivial) especially at such a low speed
Flight is always an advantage that is worth an LA. Particularly considering it is at perfect manouverability.

Besides, I didn't make the rules, I only enforce them :p

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Originally posted by A Crazy Fool
gains an ac bonus equal to cha+1 minimum +2

Did you forget the word modifier, or did you actually mean Charisma score? Cause like a Succubus with an AC bonus equal to Charisma +1 would gain +27 AC...as opposed to +9, which ironically is her Natural Armor bonus, but that's beside the point.

So...score or mod?

Remove ads