Conversions D1-3 Descent/Kuo-Toa/Drow





+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 107
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Banesfinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    176

    ° Ignore Banesfinger

    D1-3 Descent/Kuo-Toa/Drow

    Has anyone tackled:
    D1 (Descent into the depths of the earth)
    D2 (Shrine of the Kuo-Toa)
    D3 (Vault of the Drow)

    I would love to see this in 3.5E.

 

  • #2
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    diaglo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Posts
    16,189

    ° Ignore diaglo
    for the 2000ed... the return to version is call City of the Spider Queen. it is a very thinly veiled remake of the original classics.
    Story Hour
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647
    OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner
    Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge
    I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook
    I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls
    you happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher--noted rpg author Darrin Drader

  • #3
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    Lhorgrim's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Danville,KY
    Posts
    527

    ° Ignore Lhorgrim
    What is this sacrilege? The D series redux is set in the Forgotten Realms! Why was I not notified that Geoff had been transplanted from Greyhawk to Faerun.

    Seriously, I never even looked at City of the Spider Queen because it was a Realms supplement. I guess I'll have to check it out and see if I can convert it back to it's rightful game setting.
    Killing monsters and taking their treasure since 1982.

  • #4
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    diaglo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Posts
    16,189

    ° Ignore diaglo
    Quote Originally Posted by Lhorgrim
    What is this sacrilege? The D series redux is set in the Forgotten Realms! Why was I not notified that Geoff had been transplanted from Greyhawk to Faerun.

    Seriously, I never even looked at City of the Spider Queen because it was a Realms supplement. I guess I'll have to check it out and see if I can convert it back to it's rightful game setting.

    also see if you can find the web enhancement on the WotC board and the Dungeon Magazine version of one of the side treks involving mind flayers.
    Story Hour
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647
    OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner
    Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge
    I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook
    I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls
    you happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher--noted rpg author Darrin Drader

  • #5
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Banesfinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    176

    ° Ignore Banesfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by diaglo
    for the 2000ed... the return to version is call City of the Spider Queen. it is a very thinly veiled remake of the original classics.
    I am not sure I can agree with you on this diaglo.

    While I agree that the overlaying theme to both adventures is fight against Drow, I would not say City of the Spider Queen (CotSQ by James Wyatt) is a "remake" of D1-3 and Q1 (Gary Gygax, David Sutherland, Dave Cook and Jeff Grubb).

    The encounters/maps all differ. CotSQ has a 'sub' plot which somewhat follows the "War of the Spider Queen" novels (R.A. Salvatore).

    (Note: I agree there are many similarities: the Undying Temple on the ethereal plane (CotSQ) and Lolth's Spider ship on the Abyss (Q1) seem to have the same 'theme' but all encounters/maps differ).

    Again, if anyone knows of a conversion for the D/Q series, I would love to hear from you.

  • #6
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    diaglo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Posts
    16,189

    ° Ignore diaglo
    Quote Originally Posted by Banesfinger
    I am not sure I can agree with you on this diaglo.

    While I agree that the overlaying theme to both adventures is fight against Drow, I would not say City of the Spider Queen (CotSQ by James Wyatt) is a "remake" of D1-3 and Q1 (Gary Gygax, David Sutherland, Dave Cook and Jeff Grubb).

    The encounters/maps all differ. CotSQ has a 'sub' plot which somewhat follows the "War of the Spider Queen" novels (R.A. Salvatore).

    (Note: I agree there are many similarities: the Undying Temple on the ethereal plane (CotSQ) and Lolth's Spider ship on the Abyss (Q1) seem to have the same 'theme' but all encounters/maps differ).

    Again, if anyone knows of a conversion for the D/Q series, I would love to hear from you.
    the spiral of mazenwhatever by dave noonan in Dungeon 94 is basically the same idea of a sidetrek with Mind Flayers. D..

    the first encounter with the vampire is the sidetrek with the vampire.

    the kuotoa and the kraken in the lake with the stone giants.... is D2

    the houses in turmoil is the estate section of D3.

    the demons picked for use in the burned out city are the nyco and mezzodaemon versions of today.

    this is a very thinly veiled remake of the original.

    edit: even the outpost of szith morcane early on is D1.
    Story Hour
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647
    OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner
    Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge
    I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook
    I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls
    you happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher--noted rpg author Darrin Drader

  • #7
    City of the Spider Queen is NOT THE SAME as the old Gygax series.

  • #8
    Registered User
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

    diaglo's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Stone Mountain, GA 30087
    Posts
    16,189

    ° Ignore diaglo
    Quote Originally Posted by Muaythaidaddy
    City of the Spider Queen is NOT THE SAME as the old Gygax series.
    no, just as d02 ain't D&D.

    but it is what they have available.
    Story Hour
    http://www.enworld.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=6647
    OMG! The SKY IS FALLING! --JoeGKushner
    Myself, I plan to masturbate less -- der_kluge
    I know that I've never really liked d20. I think it was designed by a bunch of hacks --- Monte Cook
    I am sickened beyond belief. The half-orc wizard is obviously the best possible PC, and I only had to read 10 pages of the book to figure it out. D&D is dead to me! -- Mike Mearls
    FWIW, I'm on the design team and I pretty much find WoW as fun and interesting as banging my head against a brick wall. -- Mike Mearls
    you happen to say that 4E reminds you of the reasons you decided against a career as a special-Ed teacher--noted rpg author Darrin Drader

  • #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Banesfinger
    Has anyone tackled:
    D1 (Descent into the depths of the earth)
    D2 (Shrine of the Kuo-Toa)
    D3 (Vault of the Drow)

    I would love to see this in 3.5E.
    Must be something in the air: I started my conversion over the weekend. I am blessed with a group a long-time gamers who, through sheer coincidence, never did G-D-Q. So I'm dusting them off.

    (Well, not Q. I think after D3 I might send them to the Sunless Sea ala Night Below, or into the White Kingdom of the ghouls . . .)

    As I start to formulate my thoughts I'll post them here. Right now I'm more in data-gathering mode.
    Best,

    Garnfellow

  • #10
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Banesfinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    176

    ° Ignore Banesfinger
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnfellow
    Must be something in the air: I started my conversion over the weekend. <snip> As I start to formulate my thoughts I'll post them here. Right now I'm more in data-gathering mode.
    I have found several good CC maps at this person's site (dated):
    Halflings CC site

    Hopefully that will help.

    P.S.: Since my group is at least a month away from starting the 'D-series' of adventures, I will also be doing some conversion. Perhaps we can collaborate...?

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Descent
      By the Jester in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Friday, 26th April, 2013, 12:23 AM
    2. Descent and D&D
      By MerricB in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 45
      Last Post: Thursday, 1st February, 2007, 06:45 AM
    3. Descent into the Depths of the Earth & Fane of the Drow
      By MerricB in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Thursday, 29th September, 2005, 04:32 AM
    4. alternative to drow in Giants/Vault of the Drow series
      By direcow in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 35
      Last Post: Thursday, 17th March, 2005, 09:33 PM
    5. Dragon #298 contents: Drow, drow, drow...
      By Aitch Eye in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 29
      Last Post: Monday, 15th July, 2002, 08:09 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •