D1-3 Descent/Kuo-Toa/Drow

diaglo

Adventurer
for the 2000ed... the return to version is call City of the Spider Queen. it is a very thinly veiled remake of the original classics.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
What is this sacrilege? The D series redux is set in the Forgotten Realms! Why was I not notified that Geoff had been transplanted from Greyhawk to Faerun. ;)

Seriously, I never even looked at City of the Spider Queen because it was a Realms supplement. I guess I'll have to check it out and see if I can convert it back to it's rightful game setting. :D

diaglo

Adventurer
Lhorgrim said:
What is this sacrilege? The D series redux is set in the Forgotten Realms! Why was I not notified that Geoff had been transplanted from Greyhawk to Faerun. ;)

Seriously, I never even looked at City of the Spider Queen because it was a Realms supplement. I guess I'll have to check it out and see if I can convert it back to it's rightful game setting. :D

also see if you can find the web enhancement on the WotC board and the Dungeon Magazine version of one of the side treks involving mind flayers. ;)

Banesfinger

Explorer
diaglo said:
for the 2000ed... the return to version is call City of the Spider Queen. it is a very thinly veiled remake of the original classics.

I am not sure I can agree with you on this diaglo.

While I agree that the overlaying theme to both adventures is fight against Drow, I would not say City of the Spider Queen (CotSQ by James Wyatt) is a "remake" of D1-3 and Q1 (Gary Gygax, David Sutherland, Dave Cook and Jeff Grubb).

The encounters/maps all differ. CotSQ has a 'sub' plot which somewhat follows the "War of the Spider Queen" novels (R.A. Salvatore).

(Note: I agree there are many similarities: the Undying Temple on the ethereal plane (CotSQ) and Lolth's Spider ship on the Abyss (Q1) seem to have the same 'theme' but all encounters/maps differ).

Again, if anyone knows of a conversion for the D/Q series, I would love to hear from you.

diaglo

Adventurer
Banesfinger said:
I am not sure I can agree with you on this diaglo.

While I agree that the overlaying theme to both adventures is fight against Drow, I would not say City of the Spider Queen (CotSQ by James Wyatt) is a "remake" of D1-3 and Q1 (Gary Gygax, David Sutherland, Dave Cook and Jeff Grubb).

The encounters/maps all differ. CotSQ has a 'sub' plot which somewhat follows the "War of the Spider Queen" novels (R.A. Salvatore).

(Note: I agree there are many similarities: the Undying Temple on the ethereal plane (CotSQ) and Lolth's Spider ship on the Abyss (Q1) seem to have the same 'theme' but all encounters/maps differ).

Again, if anyone knows of a conversion for the D/Q series, I would love to hear from you.

the spiral of mazenwhatever by dave noonan in Dungeon 94 is basically the same idea of a sidetrek with Mind Flayers. D..

the first encounter with the vampire is the sidetrek with the vampire.

the kuotoa and the kraken in the lake with the stone giants.... is D2

the houses in turmoil is the estate section of D3.

the demons picked for use in the burned out city are the nyco and mezzodaemon versions of today.

this is a very thinly veiled remake of the original.

edit: even the outpost of szith morcane early on is D1.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Banesfinger said:
Has anyone tackled:
D1 (Descent into the depths of the earth)
D2 (Shrine of the Kuo-Toa)
D3 (Vault of the Drow)

I would love to see this in 3.5E.

Must be something in the air: I started my conversion over the weekend. I am blessed with a group a long-time gamers who, through sheer coincidence, never did G-D-Q. So I'm dusting them off.

(Well, not Q. I think after D3 I might send them to the Sunless Sea ala Night Below, or into the White Kingdom of the ghouls . . .)

As I start to formulate my thoughts I'll post them here. Right now I'm more in data-gathering mode.

Banesfinger

Explorer
Garnfellow said:
Must be something in the air: I started my conversion over the weekend. <snip> As I start to formulate my thoughts I'll post them here. Right now I'm more in data-gathering mode.

I have found several good CC maps at this person's site (dated):
Halflings CC site

Hopefully that will help.

P.S.: Since my group is at least a month away from starting the 'D-series' of adventures, I will also be doing some conversion. Perhaps we can collaborate...?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases