Combat rounds -- one minute

Did you play AD&D combat rounds as one minute long?

• Yes - combat rounds were played as one minute long.

Votes: 108 66.7%
  • No - we played combat rounds as shorter than one minute.

Votes: 54 33.3%

carpedavid

First Post
Yes, and we constantly argued about that facet of combat too.

Player: But I could totally swing more than once in one minute!
Me: Your attack roll is really a summary of the activity that takes place during that minute.
Player: But look, I'm swinging more than once. [gets out of chair to demonstrate] See? See?
Me: No.
Player: See? See?
Me: No.

That's just one of the things that makes me love 3E.

woodelf

First Post
Yes, sort of. That is, we accepted the 1-minute length, and played with that being the rule. But i don't think it even once came up that someone tried to do something other than a game-defined action during combat, so any discontinuity between how long it took to fight or move and real-world durations of actions never came up. So, while maybe fighting took ridiculously long, running and opening backpacks took proportionately ridiculously long, and it never caused in SoD problems.

In short, yes, combat rounds were 1 min, but we kept track of everything in terms of rounds, not in terms of minutes, so, really, a combat round coulda been any length, and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Whimsical

Explorer
But then someone brings up that ranged attacks use up one ammunitia per attack. ;)

Yep. One minute rounds needid' killin' in a bad way. Glory be to 3e!

JimAde

First Post
Whimsical said:
But then someone brings up that ranged attacks use up one ammunitia per attack. ;)

Yep. One minute rounds needid' killin' in a bad way. Glory be to 3e!

Of course now people say "How in blazes can he get off 4 arrows in 6 seconds?" :D

adwyn

Community Supporter
For every player who claimed they should be able to attack more than once in a minute there was one who would (this is an actual example) announce;

"On my action I put away my sword and draw my dagger and then swing out the carriage window, climb up the tree and cut down the hanging man and draw my sword and then drop down to attack the bandit from behind. A 15, did I hit?"

Gentlegamer

Adventurer
adwyn said:
For every player who claimed they should be able to attack more than once in a minute there was one who would (this is an actual example) announce;

"On my action I put away my sword and draw my dagger and then swing out the carriage window, climb up the tree and cut down the hanging man and draw my sword and then drop down to attack the bandit from behind. A 15, did I hit?"
DM Response: No . . .

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases