Chinese Setting and History (not just for Oriental Adventures)

mmadsen

First Post
In another thread (History (and Background) for D&D), hong recommended a page on Cao Cao and the Three Kingdoms. I thought it sounded like a great D&D setting (and the kind of thing SHARK would write up):

Cao Cao was born in 155 AD, a subject of the dynasty of Later Han. His father, Cao Song, was the adopted son of a eunuch at court, and rose through influence and bribery to the highest position in the imperial bureaucracy. Cao Cao himself occupied a number of middle-range posts at the capital until 189, when the general Dong Zhuo took advantage of a failed coup d'etat and claimed power for himself.

The civil war which followed destroyed the authority of the empire, and for ten years the heart of China was ravaged and ruined by ragged armies of adventurers, in an infinite permutation of alliances and treachery.

From this confusion, Cao Cao emerged in triumph. He established a coherent government with the Emperor as his puppet, and by 200, when he defeated his chief rival in battle by the Yellow River, he was the master of north China.

In 208, however, when Cao Cao sought to extend his control to the south, he was defeated and driven back at the battle of the Red Cliffs, and he never succeeded in breaking the line of the Yangzi. When Cao Cao died in 220, his state of Wei still faced two major rivals: Shu-Han in the west under Liu Bei; and Wu in the south under the Sun family.

Forty years later, the Sima family seized power from Cao Cao's successors and established their own dynasty of Jin, and they conquered Shu and Wu to restore a short-lived unity to the Chinese world. The position, however, was always insecure and after little more than twenty years the empire was divided again, with the north dominated by alien, non-Chinese rulers and peoples. Not until the end of the sixth century did a single state hold sway once more over the civilised world of China.

And, of course, if we just change the names, it doesn't have to be Chinese at all.

Someguy

First Post
sure..I guess... any history can be used...most people already are influenced by history when the create there worlds... Just open up a history book and READ! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

A winnar is history!

Henrix

Explorer
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a rather good read, but nowhere near as good as Tales from the Water Margin (or Outlaws of the same, or All Men Are Brothers, depending on translation).

That is a hilarious story about a bunch of [involuntary] outlaws during the Song dynasty (early 12th c.).

It is the inspiration for my current campaign.

Psion

Adventurer
A pathetic redirection :)

Well if the three kingdoms era interests you, then come on by my thread soliciting ideas for my three kingdoms inspired OA setting in the Plots & Places forum! :)

Last edited:

tleilaxu

First Post
3 kingdoms is great. the best time period to stage a campaign would be 184-201 .. after that things tend to slow down...

mmadsen

First Post
Romance of the Three Kingdoms is a rather good read, but nowhere near as good as Tales from the Water Margin.

You liked Tales from the Water Margin that much better, eh? I may have to pick that up instead -- but I can't find an abridged version; it's a four-volume boxed set. Maybe I'll get my feet wet with the abridged Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

It is the inspiration for my current campaign.

Are you playing in a Chinese-flavored campaign then? Or did you take plot elements from the original and place them in a quasi-European setting?

hong

WotC's bitch
mmadsen said:

Are you playing in a Chinese-flavored campaign then? Or did you take plot elements from the original and place them in a quasi-European setting?

It's easy to create a Chinese-flavoured campaign. Just add MSG.

V-2

First Post
Here's a thought. Have you considered posting a thread on a d20 conversion for Jadeclaw?

The advantage: We could combine the Animal PCs and Chinese Setting threads, and branch out to include some d20 pro/con rants. A good time would be had by all.

hong

WotC's bitch
V-2 said:
Here's a thought. Have you considered posting a thread on a d20 conversion for Jadeclaw?

The advantage: We could combine the Animal PCs and Chinese Setting threads, and branch out to include some d20 pro/con rants. A good time would be had by all.

Throw in some hentai tentacled horrors, and we could talk about Call of Cthulhu as well.

Not sure how Conan would fit into it, though.

V-2

First Post
He wouldn't. Since Conan is the hero of a movie, he should be discussed in the combined Spiderman/SW thread. Let's keep the boards tidy, folks!

Now, back to Jadeclaw... did you know one of the template PCs is called the Magnificent Weasel?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases