Ratio of Spending to Gaming

fba827

Adventurer
Some comments in other threads about spending habits on rpg material made me wonder what sort of relationship there was to spending habits in proportion to actual playing time. I mean, everything is relative so it's hard to look at a single number without context... (obviously, publishers and all are just interested in how much is spent total. but if trying to guage how much is "too much spending" well that needs a comparison).

So, curious, what is everyone's ratio of gaming materials to actual play time for the past 6 months?

1) Estimate how much you've spent on gaming material within the past 6 months (leave it in whatever currency you use for your region of the world)

2) Estimate how many game sessions you've actually gotten to participate in over the past 6 months. We'll call a game session any single get together with others for the centralized purpose of RPG. For the case of online/email games, they do count too, so let's say a weeks worth of an online game is worth one game session. -- obviously, there is a question of judgement here as to what should be considered one session... when in doubt use your best estimations.

For me:

(yes, sad but true. i haven't gotten to play much at all so it's mainly been for reading)

$150 : 4 game sessions

So I would classify myself as spending too much (I mean, what, almost $40 spent per game that I've played in 6 months... that's a lot)

How about the rest of you, what are your ratios?

Keeper of Secrets

First Post
My ratio is hard o calculate. I run two campaigns (Mutants & Masterminds on Fridays and D&D - Iron Kingdoms on Wednesdays). I buy lots of stuff to help suppliament the game and then I buy lots of stuff for games I am not currently playing because I like the looks of it or might consider playing.

Pinotage

Explorer
Hmmm. Tricky. I'll only take February and March since it's easier. Spend: ~$50. Three online games via PbP for two months is probably around 3-4 sessions.

Pinotage

diaglo

Adventurer
what do you consider gaming material?

i spent $0.00 on material for my current OD&D(1974) campaign.

but i have spent much more on material i will never use which happens to also be gaming material.

Thunhus

First Post
I spend 70 euro per month to roleplaying products (incl. d&d minis).
Avarage 3 sessions per month.

Six month= 420 euro
Six month= 18 sessions

23 euro per session.

One session consist 3,5 hour gaming.
6,5 euro per hour.

I'm going to slow down my shopping.

Thunhus

pdkoning

First Post
spend: about 150 euros
I've played about 90 sessions = 1.67 euro/session.

Not that much, but I am a student, and most students don't have that much money.

Mystery Man

First Post
I recently came down from the dnd miniature buy high WoTC was pushing to me. I came to the conclusion that books were more valuable to me as a gamer but since I have no money to buy them I decided to get some return on my investment and traded in my rare minis for books. I think the money total that I spent on minis I got back in trade. Which still means my money is gone but at least I can sleep nights. :uhoh:

NewJeffCT

First Post
Well, I've bought quite a few books in the last 6 months - a few Kenzer/Kalamar books, just bought the two main Iron Kingdoms books, and a few Wizards of the Coasts book. I'm guessing at least $250. So, that is $250 and zero gaming sessions...

you do the math.

Belen

Adventurer
I've spent $1200 in the past 6 months. I have had around 12 sessions, so that means that I am spending 100 dollars per session and around $25/hour.

I have never really thought about it this way. I think I now need to start tracking my RPG purchases. I do not use even 2% of the materials I buy.

This thread makes me see that I have an addiction. The pruchases I mentioned are the ones that I can easily remember, so I cannot be sure that I have not spent more. Heck, my participation on ENWorld may even be a contributing factor. After all, I would never even know about half the stuff I buy without this site!

NO ONE can let my wife know about this thread.

:uhoh: I have a problem. :uhoh:

Remove ads