• Why are you wasting my time?!

Votes: 0 0.0%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
The Road Home

Uktar 27-30, 1372 The Road Home, part I--Parting Gifts

The Heroes hurried with excitement down the trail, but their joy turned to a mixture of sorrow and anxiety as they saw ravens circling down in the snow-covered valley below where they had left their horses and retainers....

Grim and Aris hurried down to scout while the others followed behind cautiously. As the scouts crept to edge of the camp they saw the horrible fate of their hirelings. Horses were strewn about and butchered everywhere with the ravens feasting with abandon as if it were the Reign of Misrule in Alaghon. Grim and Aris had a hard time chasing them away. The three warriors from the Temple of Justice had been decapitated, their heads lay on wooden pikes and their bodies were left beside them for the animals. Two of the heads were black with pestilence, their swollen tongues lolling from their dead mouths. Aris stole into the ring of death to examine the crime scene while Grim scoured the edge of the clearing for any signs of the enemy that had done this heinous act.

Aris pieced things together. He assumed that the booted prints followed closely by some sort of lizard tracks were the Hlondethans. There had been four. It seemed that they had quickly subdued the guards, and had poisoned two of them. Then they excecuted the last one who may have surrendered. Finally, they butchered the horses. Aris saw that there were a pair of soft-soled prints that mingled with the booted ones and went in and out from the camp. He also saw that a heavy horse had escaped. Grim saw signs of its passage through the forest. Aris assumed this had been Slovack since he could not see the great horses body anywhere. Aris estimated that this gristly assault had taken place two or even three days ago. However, the soft-soled prints were more recent.

Grim then heard a noise in the evergreen underbrush that lay here and there. He mentally notified Aris who slowly drew his scimitar. "Show yourself!"

Nothing happened. Grim, without a sound and seeming to blend in with the surroundings, crept closer. Aris, it is the human boy who tends the beasts you call horses.

"Leo, stop hiding. Come out." in his most soothing voice.

If he had seen Grim, he would have seen the halfling wince. Soothing and comforting Aris was not. I guess we take the harsh approach, then , he thought.

Still, the groomsman did not come out so Aris went to him. He saw that the lad was shaking and blue, undoubtedly from hypothermia. The boy tried to flee, but Grim knocked him upside the head and he dropped. Aris looked down at the halfling disapprovingly, but decided that a lecture on compassion was not in order at the time. Aris took off his cloak and wrapped it around Leo. The boy was still shaking uncontrollably. The genasi then shouldered the lad, and had Grim climb upon his back as he hurried away from the death zone to get to the cleric and paladin in order to tend him.

In short order they arrived and related what they had learned. The rest of the group wanted to see for themselves and were horrified when they reached the campsite. Benito and Alberia did see to Leo's comfort, but noticed that after magical healing and a spell to endure the cold, he was still shaking. Alberia used her father's ring, found in the depths of Khudrukar ( See Scars of Khudrukar, part I-A father's fate for details), to determine if he had been poisoned. He had been. Fortunately, Aris had some divine scrolls just for that contingency. He tossed them to Benito who cast a spell to destroy the poison and the lad seemed comforted. He then told the Heroes how the Hlondethans had arrived with two "lizardmen" and fought with the warriors. Slovack bolted and that allowed the boy to escape. However, he had come back to the camp later and seen how his fellows had been brutally murdered and displayed.

"Don't nobody touch nothing," said Aris upon this revelation fearing poisonous death traps left by the cowardly spies.

As night was beginning to fall, the Heroes decided to retreat to Khudrukar as a precaution and examine and bury the bodies the next day. They did remove the heads and arrange the bodies of the fallen appropriately. The night went by quickly, although much howling and growling of wolves was heard. They also saw a glowing dwarf walk down from the Stone Tooth, but neither of these were investigated. The next morning they found the bodies even more badly mangled by animals than they had been. Aris wanted to cut up the bodies and perform impromptu autopsies. Benito and Alberia forbade it and an arguement ensued. Aris acquiesed after Alberia pointed out that it was obvious what had happend to the warriors--they had been poisoned in the same manner that Aris had been when he had fought the Hlondethan rogue back in Blasingdell. Benito and Alberia began to prepare the bodies for a proper burial and service. Grim decided he did not want to partcipate and headed off into the woods to scout ahead. Aris followed. Milo attempted to do so, but Ellysidell stopped him, acting on orders from Aris. Nosr decided to take a nap.

Meanwhile Grim and Aris wandered far afield into the forest, possibly half a mile from the rest of the party. At some point Aris decided to squat along the trail and see if he could pick up the trail of the snake-men, as Alberia called them. He saw large paw prints, like those of a dire wolf....and then one pounced on him! As the wolf tore out a hunk of flesh trying to knock Aris to the ground, it stepped back boring into Aris with malevolent eyes and with jaws drooling blood and saliva, said, "I will feed you to my cubs."

Aris's eyes went wide and he mentally called for Grim. The halfing joined the battle, but not before two more evil dire wolves (Aris recognized them as worgs) bounded onto the scene. Aris and Grim severely damaged the first she-wolf, but did not take her down. Another wolf bit into Aris and knocked him to the ground. Then Aris and Grim spotted another, larger worg, that silently slunk from the behind some pines. Un-natural fear gripped them both, but only the genasi succumbed. He levitated from the situation and started to run as fast as he could back towards the campsite, screaming with irrational terror. The wolves howled. Grim ran and one of the creatures passed him in the forest while the other stayed close to his heals. The larger worg followed at a steady pace.

Meanwhile, back at the camp, Milo remarked while the ritual was wrapping up, "I hear wolves."

"Like Aris said, 'Wolves are nothing to be concerned about'," replied Benito. He began the final prayer for the consecration of the fallen soldiers of the Temple of Justice.

Back among the pines, Grim was being wittled away by the worgs that nipped at his heels. He tried to tumble away and run in zig-zags, but the beasts were too fast. He refused to surrender even when the large one commanded him to do so. Fortunately, they were not able to pin him to the ground. Eventually, three of the beasts surrounded him and damaged him enought to render him unconscious. The goddess smiled upon Grim however, as Aris snapped out of his fear, regained his bearings and saw that the Grim was about to be taken away as food for worg cubs. Risking being mauled to death. Aris levitated down amongst the snapping jaws of the evil dire wolves, grabbed Grim's body and took off back into the trees, with several new wounds as a reward. He just kept going. I Hate Worgs!! he thought.

He looked back and saw the monsters slip back into the wintery forest. Soon he reached the camp and related what had happened. The heroes warily trekked through the stark forest with the feeling of being watched, but no attack came and they exited from under the trees to the rolling hills of Turmish and civilization. As they were making camp at the apex of a defensible hill, Alberia noticed that Leo was still pale and shivering. She tried to put a hand on him to see if he was still poisoned, and the boy flinched as if he were instinctively trying to avoid her divination. Ellysidell grabbed him and Alberia tried again. Leo was still poisoned! They tried the last scroll to remove poison. Nothing. Then Benito and Aris politely asked him to strip so they could examine him. Scared, the boy did as he was told. They discoverd that his skin was very dry and flaky. He also had a scaly-looking rash. Benito questioned him again and felt that the lad was hiding the truth. He took him aside and the boy broke down and confessed that the Hlondethans under the guidance of Diero had forced him to drink a foul potion. They had watched him for a while and then left him in disgust mentioning something about failure. Benito related this to the party asked Tyr for guidance. Alberia fell to her knees to pray.

"This is not good," the cleric said in a very somber voice. "He is becoming one of them. We must get to Alaghon, and quickly."
However, night was falling. They tied the lad up for his own good and hunkered down around a fire to ward off the cold, angry and upset at the spies and the gifts that they had left....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Uktar 27-30, 1372 The Road Home, part II--A Country Gala

That night, the heroes were attacked by a dozen hobgoblins. Ellysidel blasted one apart with his new dwarven waraxe and Aris struck the head from at least two of the evil humanoids. Grim did his share of the dirty work by sneakily slicing at the hamstrings or knees of his opponents. Nosr unleashed magic missles and Milo used his mental magic to kill a few. Alberia waded into the fray slaying a hobgoblin before several turned to flee into the cold night. Benito taunted the creatures the whole time, disdaining to wet his sword with their blood as they were, in his mind, unworthy opponents.

The rest of the watches were uneventful. Leo was very morose and into himself. He did not complain about being tied up as the heroes marched towards Blasingdell. Nearing midday they spotted a patrol of militia on horseback. Benito pleaded with them that they take Leo to the shrine of Chauntea in town and see what they could do. He had cast a remove curse on the boy and it still did not stop the process. The scaly rash was turning yellowish-green and spreading. The riders complied after sharing a meal and trading stories. They promised so send horses and reported that Slovack had returned to Blasingdell. Sir Berrick had feared the worst for the paladin, and would be relieved that she (and the rest of the party) were still alive and well. They left and the heroes marched on. The night was thankfully without incident and before lunch, Turmish militia from Blasingdell returned with horses. They reach the town by late afternoon. Alberia and Benito immediately inquire about the boy. There has been no breakthrough and the rash look like scales now. Leo is very emotional and has fits of uncontrollable crying. Sometimes he is incoherent. Alberia and Benito vow vengeance if they cannot cure the groomsman.

Aris and the rest set up lodging at the Griffon's Nest again. There, Alberia is reunited with Slovack and is joyfull. Then the companions are invited to a party. Sir Berrick even sent Alberia a gown. Most of the party (especially Nosr and Milo) snickered and teased the warrior maiden. They all decided to go. After the formalities and toasts, Grim hid under the punch bowl table, occasionally letting Aris know where he was and feeling very paranoid. Ellysidell became claustrophobic and went outside to sit under some trees. Benito and Aris played aristocrat with the country gentry, catching up on gossip from Alaghon and the coast. Nosr and Milo danced with many a country girl, but under the watchful gaze of their big brother Aris and big sister Alberia who stared down several farmgirls. Aris also made sure that any local lummoxes, jealous that their women were overcome by the charasmatic city boys, did not trouble the mages.

Alberia had troubles of her own, trying to avoid any overtures from Sir Berrick. Privately, she confided in Aris and Benito in a pique of attitude, "I have attended royal galas in Suzail. This is a square dance!"

Benito and Aris suppressed laughter which sent the paladin off in a huff, only to be hotly pursued by Sir Berrick. Milo had a shining moment as he sung an aria from the Ravenian epic, Lost Sabreen. He even gained some extra coin and the heroes were very suprised that the lad had that kind of talent. Aris thought of clinking coins from the future Great Axe's opera series--Elven and Dwarven Tragedies!

At some point during the evening, Milo takes Benito and Aris aside, "I have been insincere my friends," he begins. "My original motives for joining your band were to observe and possibly retrieve you companion Nosr for my masters, The Watchers of Savras. I have learned much under your guidance and leadership and have decided to become somewhat of a renegade. I will watch over Nosr, but not compell him to return with me to Raven's Bluff. I want to stay with you."

Benito and Aris looked at each other. "Milo," said Aris, "I am glad that you have come clean, but I will be watching you."

Benito added, "You have now eroded our trust, Milo. However, I will take your sacrifices in Khundrukar into account. That we will have to see with time. For your sake, I hope that you are not a Malarite or a yuan-ti in disguise."

But Benito smiled reassuringly, letting Milo know he was jesting. The party wound down. Alberia had managed to keep Sir Berrick at a distance without insulting him. Milo and Nosr had had fun. Grim and Ellysidell--well let's just say they missed the Chondalwood alot. Aris and Benito were able to have a less serious time before hitting the road again at first light and saving Leo, getting back to Alaghon and ridding Faerun of more evil....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Hero Update!

As of The Feast of the Moon, 1372 the Heroes are :

Aris Cloud-dancer : male genasi fighter 2/ranger 3 (ECL 6).
Aris is the leader of the Heroes. His goal is to reclaim a title of nobilty that was lost to his family during the Tethyrian Civil War. He does not neccessarily look towards the newly reclaimed kingdom to reach this goal. In fact his sites are set towards the north...maybe Cormyr. In the meantime, he is content to stay in Alaghon and continue Cloud-dancer Weapons and Armor Outfitters. Aris is practical and at times blunt, but underneath that hard exterior is a heart that really cares for his companions.

Solemn Brother Benito Moltos: male human cleric of Tyr 6.
Benito is second in command, more or less. Battling evil in the wild corners of Turmish in the last 7 months has somewhat tempered his emotions, but he is still prone to rash acts. This, as well as his uncompromising convictions, has put him at odds with Aris time and again. He is always anxious to return to civilization--especially Alaghon where he feels comfortable. His past holds a dark secret that haunts him.

Alberia Dorthansdotter, House Lhal: female aasimar paladin of Tyr 4 (ECL5).
Alberia has come from Khundrukar with the most scars. Her father is still missing and more than likely dead. She was drained of her life's energy by foul undead creatures and has had to battle against thinking the worst of her father after revelations from the demon. Still, she has kept her chin up in spite of everything and is not willing to give up the Quest by any means; even with this new challenge of Leo turning into something foul.

Grim : male ghostwise halfling barbarian 1/rogue 4
This sneaky little guy gets a lot done that many of the others cannot see, but they definitely should be grateful. He has saved them a lot of hurt. He is their scout and does his job extremely well thanks to magics found in the ruins and alleys underneath Alaghon. He keeps his counsel to himself as to what his agenda might be.

Ellysidell : male wild elven barbarian 5
This is the party's tank. While very taciturn and calm in most circumstances, when it comes to battle the wild elf becomes a raging bringer of death to his foes. Now with his magical waraxe, and Aris's more disciplined training, Ellysidell is on his way to becoming a more fearsome killing machine. He still longs for the Chondalwood from time to time and would like to seek vengeance upon those who kidnapped him.

Nosr: male half-elven sorcerer 5
Nosr is becoming a formidable user of magic. He has the ability to tap into the weave of Faerun itself and unleash spellfire. As his power has increased so has his confidence as well as a little bit of arrogance. He would definitely like to test out his arcane prowess against other magic-users. Like Benito, his past is foggy. Hailing from Starmantle, Nosr was fostered not by choice at a young age to not so pleasant relatives after the mysterious deaths of both his human father and his elven mother. He remembers his father speaking to him about the family gift and one of these days desires to return to the Dragon Coast and find some answers.

Milo: male psion (savant) 5
Milo has just revealed that he is part of a heretofore unknown organization called the Watchers of Savras. He came from Raven's Bluff to investigate Nosr and was originally charged to bring back the spellfire-user for "his own good". Milo has changed his mind. He likes the Heroes and values their friendship. He also can see now that his talents are better put to use in the field than in some stuffy library. Undoubtedly, Milo has more to reveal in the future now that he has come clean.
====================
Important NPCs:

Mourn of Evereska, (Invilios Starym) : male sun elven bard 2/fighter1/expert1
Mourn used to adventure with the Heroes but is now in semi-retirement after dying in Khundrukar at the edge of Great Ulfe's Axe. He now runs--and sometimes performs--at the Great Axe Inn for Aris. His past has just caught up with him.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
The Road Home (cont.)

The Feast of the Moon to 1 Nightal, 1372 ]The Road Home, part III-When Animals Attack!

The morning of the Feast of the Moon was cold and crisp. As the Heroes gathered their gear, the grass crunched underfoot; frosted from the night before. The company--with the exception of Grim--were morose and silent. The Hlondethans had not passed through Blasingdell and the local authorities had found the inhabitants of the farm where they had stayed, brutally murdered. Alberia was in a deep state of melancholy seemingly on the verge of tears.

"Benito, I will return to Cormyr in the spring. There is nothing for me here. My father is dead. I must continue his legacy and do what I can for King and country at home. Despite our differences, I offer you a chance to bring Tyr's message to our war-torn kingdom. The Triad knows that it need it!"

Leaving Benito a bit confuse, she spurred Slovack on ahead to get away from Blasingdell before her emotions got the best of her.

"Aris," she shouted in passing, steadying her emotions, "I will meet the rest of you when you catch up to me outside of this town. I need some time alone."

Leo was getting worse. The 'scales' were progressing from yellow to green and the nails on his fingers were turning hard and black. Benito examined his toes and saw the same. He did not know what to say except that "Tyr was in control."

"If it comes to it," said the boy,"you will end things? Please, Solemn Brother."

Benito nodded his head, "Prayerfully, it will not come to that."

But he wasn't cheery and optimistic. Grim was happy since he was now the proud owner of a riding dog. He took the point with his mount and the party left without a word.

Sir Berrick and a contingent of soldiers waited for them at the outskirts. He had a boquet of roses for Alberia, and seemed disappointed when he did not see her with the rest of the group. Told that she went on ahead and that he had just missed her, he sighed and gave the flowers to Benito to give to her. The castellan thanked the Heroes again for their valiant efforts in Khundrukar and bid them farewell.

"I do not think these would cheer the paladin," said Benito. "I think they would only upset her and antagonize her towards the well-meaning lordling."

Not waiting for the others to agree, he left the trail and left the roses at a nearby farmhouse without calling on the residents. By the time he rejoined the company, they had caught up with Alberia. Silence was order of the day and the mood of the heroes mirroed the day; gray and overcast with little warmth. Grim spotted a group of four riders in the distance, but they veered away from the party and headed north towards the Orsraun Mountains. The adventurers made camp without incident.
The night was pitch black without a moon on a very cold night.

[DM's Note: I dowloaded the Forgotten Realms Calender from Dungeon Master's Haven and for FoTM, 1372 the calander indicates a new moon....]

During the middle watch, the horses screamed. Grim was the first over to the scene and saw that a huge weasel--about twice as long as he was tall--had toppled Aris's horse and had sunk its teeth into the equine's shoulder. He attacked along with the rest of the Heroes who arrived. They made short work of the over-sized predator, but saw that the horse had been severely weakened. Benito was talked into using some of his divine power to heal the steed's lifeforce. Even after that it still did not completely healthy. Aris and Grim appraised the white and brown mottled coat of the creature and decided to try and make some money from the pelt when they returned to Alaghon. Nothing else happened that night.

Again the day was cold and grey, but not as frosty as it had been in Blasingdell as the party headed southeast. They decided to take a route that would allow them to pass north of the ruins of Ironcloak in the hope that they could ford an icy Alaoreum River near the ruins of Morningstar Hollows to shave at least two days from their journey back to Alaghon. While most of Turmish was civilized, the lands between the ruins was overgrown and abandoned with very few farms and villages and it was wooded. Still, this day, they travelled across rolling hills covered mostly with wild, winter wheat and other grasses. Leo was getting worse. His hands were getting scaly, and he was losing his hair.
Shortly after midday, Grim came across a large badger that also was apparently looking for food in these more civilized lands. As he jumped from his dog to shoo the badger away, it attacked. When hee and his faithful steed hurt the over-sized animal, it went crazy and tore into Grim's arm and body. Benito and Aris and Ellysidell arrived on horseback and the big badger was eventually killed, but it seemed to have the toughness of the wild elf as they hacked away at it in its rage. Aris cursed Auril for driving the natural beasts from their homes with this weather. Grim wanting another pelt for his growing collection decided on teeth and claws instead as he smelled the musk that the badger produced.

That night, expecting other attacks from hungry wild animals of large size, Benito warded their makeshift horsepaddock. The heroes watched vigilantly, but the night passed peacefully. The next morning Leo had become completely bald and his eyes were starting to darken. He moaned in pain as his body changed and transformed. The heroes travelled at a more brisk pace and entered the wooded area north of the Ironcloak during the afternoon...

DM again: How long does Leo have left? Only the DM knows! Stay tuned, folks. In the next post we face yet another moral dilemma for the Heroes. They seem very good at finding themselves in these types of pickles...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Wolves...

1 Nightal, 1372 Wolves in Priest's Clothing, part I

The heroes travelled at a more brisk pace and entered the wooded area north of the Ironcloak during the afternoon...
As the sun was setting, the heroes found themselves following an old road that meandered northeast underneath the canopy of changing leaves. After weeks of stark grey rocks and evergreens, this site was a beautiful contrast. Even the normally stodgy Benito had to pause and admire. Of course, their reverie was suddenly interrupted as two robed figures crossed the road in front of them. Without glancing back at the rest of the party Grim dismounted and darted into the woods. The others paused and looked around expecting some sort of ambush. Behind them they heard a horse whinny and spun to see four more robed figures on foot and one on horseback. The "priest" on foot gave a guttural war cry and charged. Benito and Alberia were confused as they recognized the garb and some holy symbols as belonging to priest of Chauntea. However, there could be no mistaking the beastial shouts. These were orcs!

[DM note: SPOLIER WARNING: I used the free downloadable module from Fiery Dragon Press called Himrak War Party for this adventure. As you will see, I changed things significantly!]

Milo let loose with a mind blast at half of the charging orcs and their leader (whose origin was still undetermined). Two dropped. The horseman continued and Nosr blasted him with magic missles. Aris hit him with an arrow in the shoulder, but it still kept on. Benito spurred his horse to cut off the mounted warrior as he headed for Milo. Meanwhile, the other two orcs charged Ellysidell and Alberia. The wild elf ducked a high swing of the orcs greataxe and retaliated with his own chop. The orc exploded into bloody gobbets of flesh as Ellysidell cut him from head to chest. Alberia took a hit from the axe of the other orc but then struck with vengeance and cleaved the orc's head from its shoulders. As Benito intercepted the last enemy, he had his horse rear on its hind legs and strike. This dropped horseman. Grim seeing that the battle was won, took off through the woods in pursuit of the other two figures.

Benito dismounted and removed the horseman's hood. It was another orc. Aris rode up and looked over the cleric's shoulder as Benito used his god-given healing ablities to stablize the fallen enemy for interrogation. Ellysidel finished off the stunned orcs with two well placed smacks! of his axe and Alberia exmained the bodies. Nosr and Milo stood off with arms folded not wanting to get their hands dirty.

"I swear by the sword of Tyr, these are Stoneland orcs!" cried Alberia. What are they doing this far south?, she wondered.

At the same time, Aris reached past Benito who was applying the epojes de la muerte to the lead orc and tore something shiny from his neck also exposing a cloak of purple beneath brown robes. He held it up and showed to Benito. The fist of Bane twirled between them on a silver chain.

"Zhentarim!"

Broccli_Head

Explorer
Wolves...

1 Nightal, 1372 Wolves in Priest's Clothing , part II

"Zhentarim..." Aris said again, and shook his head. Memories of Zhentil Keep, The Fall of Mintar, and Ithal Pass came flooding back.

"Umm, Aris, How can you be sure?"

The genasi tore brown robe to reveal a dark purple cloak. "See, Zhentilar purple. We have to take them out." Turning to the prisoner and grabbing him by the throat, "How many more are you?"

"He's my prisoner, Aris," replied Benito pulling the half-conscious prisoner away from an obviously irrational Aris. "And besides, lots of people wear purple. They're just orcs."

Alberia came into the huddle. "They're not just orcs. They're not from here. They are from northern Cormyr. I agree with Aris. This definitely smells of Zhentil Keep."

Benito waved them away. This was his prisoner. "How did you get here?"

The orc smiled revealing bloody teeth, "Wouldn't you like to know?" in very good Common with only a trace of an accent.

"I'll kill him, Benito. Get some info out of him or I'll gut him now!"

Aris got in the orc's face, "I hate Zhentarim....Tell me why I should not kill you now."

Ellysidell joined the circle and yanked Aris away. In his calming way, the wild elf mentioned that Grim had not yet returned after darting into the woods, focusing Aris's anger on something else. He pointed to the riding dog sniffing at the forest's edge and the large hill peeking from behind trees. The sun would be going down soon.

Responding smuggly to Aris's taunts the orc said, "Well not all Turmites hate us..."

Benito narrowed his eyes and probed some more. As the sun set and twilight arrived, the cleric got some answers. Apparently, the orcs came over on ships, landed in Alaghon and marched over here. He also claimed that more Zhents would be here very shortly and then a strike force would go out and overrun Alaghon. To Benito's naive question about native merchants helping out the Zhents, the sergeant responded, "Zhent gold is just as good as any one elses to you Turmites."

The cleric looked at Leo and knew he did not have very long, but the fate of Alaghon was in the hands of the Heroes. He spoke addressing the party, "We need to ride to Alaghon and warn the Temple of Justice so they can return here to stop these Zhentarim."

"Uh, no we're not. We are going to stop the dogs here!"

Aris slammed his fist into his palm for emphasis. Alberia nodded in agreement.

"You and these pathetic warriors. You will all be fed your own entrails!" retorted the orc prisoner.

Suddenly, a bright light shot into the sky from the top of the hill.

"What was that?" asked the cleric.

The orc started laughing. Benito knocked him unconscious.

Collectively, the party headed into the woods to find Grim leaving Leo to watch the horses and the prisoner....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
1 Nightal, 1372 Wolves in Priest's Clothing, part III

Seeing that things along the road were well in hand, Grim began to stealthily chase the two robed figures through the late autumn woods. He followed them out from under the canopy of the trees and up the hill through neck-high (to him at least) brush, confident that his enhanced sneaking abilities would hide him from any watchers. Approaching closely, he discovered that the humanoids he had been chasing were orcs and they met and chatted with two others in the vicinity of a wooden shed that lacked a roof. They seemed to be guarding the shed, which he was about to approach until he heard a humming noise. He also looked towards the other side of the hill and saw the glinting of metal somewhere in an overgrown and ready-to-be-picked wheatfield, a farm house and a barn with humanoid figures--presumably more orcs--in armor milling about. He then felt a prickliness and a smell similar to that before a storm. Grim noticed that the orcs moved several yards further away from the shed. He followed suit and shortly, a bright light errupted from the top of the shed and into the night sky. Startled as he was, he became even more unnerved as corporeal humanoid figures began to form around the structure. The orcs, however, seem unphased and even chuckle at the sight.

This is too much Grim thought to himself remembering babbling spirits in Khundrukar. I need to go get the others.

He hurried back down the hill where he grimaced as he both saw and heard the troop trudging through the woods in the last light of the day. He contacted Aris. You all sound like a family of boars stampeding through the forest. Stop! You're hurting my sensibilities of good sneaking!

Startled, Aris replied out loud, "Grim where are you?"

Seeing that a regroup was needed before the heroes blundered into the orcs, Grim revealed himself and reported what he had discovered.

As nightfall set in, the heroes set out. Grim, Ellysidell and Aris would take out the four orcs at the shed while the rest of the group would sprint from the trees to the location once it was secured. Milo rendered the wild elf and the genasi invisible. Grim raised an eyebrow as Milo approached to do the same to him indicating that it was unneccessary.

It worked to perfection. Grim stabbed the first orc through the back, killing him, and before the other orc could even cry in surprise, charged at him, letting the rage of his youth forth, and split open his belly open like a ripe melon. At this 'signal' Aris and Ellysidell acted, taking down their foes. Once again, Ellysidell blew his up enemy with a mighty chop of his magical waraxe. Aris sliced deftly into his foe's throat. The orc gurgled and tried to clutch his neck to keep the blood from spurting, but only managed to slump to his knees and then sprawl dead, face to the ground. Upon seeing the silver glow of the wild elf's axe, Benito with Alberia on his back sprinted up the hill. Nosr and Milo followed close behind. Grim telepathed to Ellysidel and Aris to move back behind the hill just in case, to hide the glows of their magical swords from the farm house He crouched behind the dead orcs and examined his surroundings once more coming down from his rage. He saw a dark pile about ten of his body lengths from the shed.

While the rest of the party caught up, Grim discovered that the dark pile was a pile of recently slain corpse. They were dressed like farmers. Grim also carefully examines the shed and still felt/heard the humming and static electricity, but not as strong as before the light shot from the roof. He opened the shed to see empty weapon racks and a black pyramid with all sorts of intricate runes. He called the rest of the party forward and they looked at the symbols and etching upon what appeared to be an obsidian surface. Nosr identified some necromatic runes. Benito saw that some of the markings use dwarven runic script but the language is orckish. They had no idea what this thing was, but were wise enough not to touch it, especially with that noise and tickly feeling about it.

"Farmhouse. There are more Zhents to kill there and maybe more farmers," directed Aris as the situation seems secure.

Benito agreed reluctantly, and the party moved as quietly as possible towards the farm house with Grim scouting ahead. They saw the light emanating from the structure and smelled the smoke of a fireplace burning fuel as they set their minds to a grim purpose...

Broccli_Head

Explorer
1 Nightal, 1372 Wolves in Priest's Clothing,scene iv

Benito agreed reluctantly, and the party moved as quietly as possible towards the farm house with Grim scouting ahead. They saw the light emanating from the structure and smelled the smoke of a fireplace burning fuel as they set their minds to a grim purpose...

Benito, Aris and Ellysidell met two orcs and a war dog guarding the perimeter. While they engaged, Milo headed into the fields to scout out the barn, Nosr readied magic to retaliate against any orcs he saw, and Grim crept forward very quickly to get to the other side of the house and enter it opposite from where the assault was taking place. Alberia brought up the rear, cursing her heavy armor. The perimeter guards were dispatched quickly, but not before crying out an alarm. From the house, bow fire came regining down at the heroes. They decided to full out assault the house and charged. Nosr and Milo stayed back and Nosr blasted an orc with his magic missles while it was attempting to run into the wheatfields. It collapsed and lay still.

The damage to the heroes was minimal as they reached the house. Aris took one window and Benito the other and they attacked the orckish archers. Aris dropped his adversary quickly, but Benito missed his initial attack and split the window frame instead. Nosr again proved his worth with fire support blasting an archer in the second story window with his unerring missles. An orc jumped from the second story in an attempt to grapple with Aris. However, the genasi side-stepped the dropping foe and sliced him open. He then tumbled into the window. Benito thrust instead this time and skewered his opponent. Hurriedly, he yanked him across the window sill and climbed inside. Aris was already engaged with two orcs and a third orc spotted Benito and was moving in his direction. Alberia and Ellysidell caught up and climbed in as another two orcs showed themselves in the house. One led a wardog.

Outisde, Grim stalked to a locked door and carefully entered a woodshed that had another exit, presumably into the farmhouse. He carefully opened that one and saw the battle inside raging between his friends the the Zhentish-trained orcs. Milo watched the barn for anymore activity and heard a yell behind him. He reacted too late and felt a greataxe bite into his shoulder. He turned and tried to use his powers to hurt the orc back and got sliced again. Hurting, he still managed to unleash a mental surge and dropped the orc. Tired and in pain, Milo decided to make invisible and headed toward the barn to sit the rest of the combat, that he heard raging inside the house, out.

Back inside Aris, Ellysidell, Benito, and Alberia struck with power and some flare. While Ellysidell blew another orc into a heap of bleeding flesh, Benito slashed and stabbed with his magical longsword felling an orc or two. Aris stabbed an orc in gut, as it fell to its knees, split the skull of another. Alberia and Grim combined against the war dog with Grim stabbing it in the rear and Alberia stepping on its head. Almost simultaneously she slashed down hard on a Zhentish orc using the power of Tyr to bolster her attack. It too crumbled into a dead heap and the house was silent.

Nosr meanwhile had moved up to the house and joined the heroes. Milo rested and remained hidden. Aris and Ellysidell bounded upstairs to secure the upper floor. It was empty. Grim examined another door and finding it safe, unlocked it. He discovered a stairwell that led into the cellar. Voices and cries for help and mercy came from the darkness....

Broccli_Head

Explorer
1 Nightal, 1372 Wolves in Priest's Clothing,scene v

The Heroes hurried down into the cellar and found six prisoners who looked like farmers bound and gagged. Alberia hung back and used her power to detect evil. She discovered that these were not your average Chauntea-worshipping farmers and quietly informed Benito who quickly informed Aris. Thus, the interrogation began.

"Who is your leader?"

The prisoners all looked to their right. Their eyes resting on a prisoner who did not appear as weak or beat up as the rest. Benito ungagged him. "Prisoner, what is your name?"

"I am called Aif. Please let me go so that I can take my revenge on these orcs and before they activate that thing."

"Wait, wait. Let us not be hasty. Why are you and your evil henchmen here in the first place?"

Rolling his eyes Aif replied, "Look, that's irrelavant. I can't stand Zhentarim just as must as the next fellow. There's a secret cache of weapons behind that wall. I also need to rescue my friend. The Zhent's are probably torturing him."

"You mean that dead fellow upstairs?"

Grimacing, "No not him. I figured the orcs without supervision would slay him after having a little fun. My friend, Dag. He was in the fortress when the purple-robed dogs attacked. They caught us unawares. OK, can I go now?"

Aris motioned to Grim to check the wall. Grim examined it and found a hidden sliding panel. He determined that it was safe and opened the wall to reveal a host of weapons of various grades.

"No,no,no Mr. Aif. We will be taking you to Alaghon where the Holy Justices of Tyr can further interrogate you."

"I don't have time for this! You don't have time for this!"

"What do you mean?" asked Aris

"OK, ok, but you have to let me go."

"We are not promising anything and you are not in a very good bargaining position," Benito reminded Aif.

In his head Grim chimed in Why should we let you go? Are you going to kill more farmers like the ones on the hill?

Aif stared at the halfling Look little one. Do not give me any of your useless prattle! If you try my patience any more I will kill you where you stand, once I am free.

Grim took offense and went to strike Aif in the vitals to finish his yammering once and for all. The prisoner took Grim's blade in the shoulder, moving at the last second as if anticipating Grim's suprising move.

"Grim! What are you doing?" yelled Aris.

Ellysidell grabbed the halfling before he could strike again.

"Can you control your people better?" Aif asked with a wicked stare at Aris. "Do not try my patience. I have dealt fairly and in good faith with all of you. You wouldn't want to all be dead one morning, would you?"

"You threaten us!" Benito raised his voice, adding more fuel to the fire. "We have just come from Khudrukar, killed a dragon, and negotiated a trade with the gray dwarves there."

"Hmmm...," responded Aif,"and I'm supposed to be impressed by that?"

"That's it! Everybody out!" Aris ordered.

The Heroes went up the stairs with a little coaxing especially by Grim who was being talked to sternly by Aris while wrapped and wriggling in El's arms. As they made their way up the stairs, Aif called to them, "Remember, we don't have alot of time for this...."
======================
Aris commented, "Aif is right, we don't have time. Benito, you and I will finish the interrogations. Alberia, Ellysidell take Grim and watch from the upstairs. Nosr, you watch down here and find Milo."

"So you're protecting him now, Aris?" asked the very agitated Grim.

"Not now, Grim. We will discuss this later."

Benito and Aris went back down the stairs. "Ahh, leveller heads prevail. You best keep that little troublemaker on a tight leash for his own good."

"Again, I remind you that you are in no position to give threats," Benito spoke in his most diplomatic tone. "Please, tell us what happened here and what you know."

Benito healed the wound that Grim had left and Aif went on to explain that his men had been taken unawares by the orcs who had been dressed as priests of Chauntea. They are led by a fiendish orc with tentalces. Aif and his men had been using this area for their own investigations of Alaghon. "I strongly suspect that this pyramid is a portal of some sort," shared Aif.

When Benito and Aris revealed that a beam of light had shot from the top of the structure, Aif spoke with more urgency. "We have to stop the Zhentarim. If that fiend finds out how to use it, you will see Zhentilar marching through the streets of Alaghon in no time."

Benito laughed and commented on the merits and martial prowess of the knights from Grimjaws and the Temple of Justice.

"No, Benito, you don't understand. Zhentarim means priests of Bane and mages along with blackguards and possibly more foul creatures."

"This is not good..." Benito said.

Broccli_Head

Explorer
1-2 Nightal, 1372 The enemy of my enemy...

Grim paced back and forth in the upstairs room under the watchful eyes of Ellysidell. He was intensely upset. He did not like someone playing around in his mind and tonight he was feeling vengeful. Aif or whatever he was would not see the light of the next day....

Meanwhile, Nosr watched from the upstairs window with Ellysidell (and an incensed Grim) and Alberia took vigil at a window dowstairs. During the fight for the farm house they had heard horns. They expected more company. On the stairs leading to the basement, Benito and Aris talked about their next move and Aris admonished Benito for letting slip the trade agreement with the duergar. Benito decided to talk to Aif more while Aris kept watch at the top of the stairs. Ironically, it was for one of his company, not the enemy. Aris also reviewed in his mind how to better slay Zhentarim. Even if he had to do it alone, he would assault the hidden base and destroy the portal.

Downstairs the questioning continued but Aif was continuously evasive, unwilling to reveal for whom he truly worked and threatening to slay the halfling for stabbing him. It was not until Benito began to share about the Heroes dilemma that Aif became more talkative, seemingly sympathetic with the plight of the company. Should they go quickly to Alaghon and inform the authorities there or attack some dug in Zhents? Plus, there was young Leo to consider who was turning into some sort of snake-man. How long did he have. Aif shed some light on Leo's situation.

"He's turning into a brood guard, a monstrous snak-man thing," proclaimed Aif.

Benito was crestfallen. "How long does it take?"

"Anywhere between 7 and 10 days. Those concoctions that the yuan-ti make can be pretty nasty."

"By the sword of Tyr, Leo does not have much time! Do you know how to stop it?"

"I don't know. However, Dag may know. He's a priest of sorts. Hopefully, he is not dead yet. Zhents usually kill traitors."

Benito narrowed his eyes. "What do you mean 'kill traitors'?"

"Well, Dagotha used to be a Zhent agent. He saw the light and works for us now." sigh. "I kinda feel responsible for him, taking him in and all. If you let me go, maybe there's still a chance to save him and your boy."

Not compromising his convictions, nor falling for that false sympathy, Benito replied,"That will be up to the Holy Justices at the Temple of Justice in Alaghon. Whom do you work for again?"

Aif just smiled. Benito sighed also. Perhaps Aris could get some information out of him. He was better at making deals with unsavory types. Benito and the genasi traded places.

Aif was still smiling when Aris entered the basement and they began speaking in jannati, the language of genie-kind.

"What are you?" Aris asked taken aback.

"That is not important, and you know very well that there needs to be a sense of urgency here, and finally I can talk to someone who will be pragmatic and listen to reason instead of acting upon emotions and sticking steadfastedly to dogma. Please, let me go. We have to stop the Zhentarim."

"Give some information and a reason to let you go," Aris fingered his handaxe as he spoke.

"What do you want to know?" Aif was agitated and Aris pounced on it.

"Your contacts in Alaghon, especially fences, and whom you work for, and any information that you deem is worth your freedom."
Aif complied, and when he revealed whom he gathered information for, Aris was very troubled.

"One more thing then, promise that you will not take vengeance on my companions, especially the halfling."

"Very well, the Night Masks will not seek a vendetta with you and your men."

Upstairs, the heroes (really the house) were hailed by an orc on horseback. Alberia and Ellysidell went to the windows and fired their bows. The horseman was only hit by one projectile and sped his horse towards the fields. He blew his horn. Benito ran out to stop him. Grim saw his chance and slipped away towards the basement intent on slaying Aif and the others. Aris also saw his chance and made the decision to allow Aif to depart.

The "man's" hands elongated and turned a pale grey color as he freed himself from the manacles, winked at Aris, and scooted out through the basement window.

Benito charged the horseman and sliced into him. The orc grunted, but regained his composure and retaliated, striking Benito hard and slicing through his breastplate to severely injure his shoulder. Even as the horse reared and tried to stomp him, the priest held his ground and his weapon, but Benito did not have a chance to strike again as missles of energy (and a hoot of glee from Nosr) toppled the rider from his horse. The orc lay still. Through his pain, Benito thought he heard another horse galloping through the field. His human vision prevented him from making anything out and he hurriedly jogged back to the house with the horse in tow.

Back in the basement, Aris looked at the rest of the prisoners. "All of you will cooperate, right?"

They nodded their heads. Unseen, Grim crept into the cellar and looked around. He saw Aif gone and Aris holding the empty manacles. In his head he screamed to any of the heroes who could hear, excluding Aris, Aris has freed the prisoner! He is a traitor!

Only Alberia heard. Milo met the cleric of Tyr at the door, deciding to finally show himself after the axe had injured him. Nosr stood there also beaming with triumph. Benito also healed his wound. The armor could be mended later. Alberia met him as he entered the house, arms folded and not looking pleased.

The party confronted Aris and he explained the situation and why he freed Aif...for the good of the party. Alberia wasn't satisfied and took the oppurtunity to volunteer to ride to Alaghon to notify the temple, fortress and maybe rescue poor Leo. She would not speak to Aris. Milo, also tired of getting cut and wasted asked to go with her. They headed to fetch the horses. Grim would not come out from hiding and refused to accompany the party any longer with Aris in leadership. Nosr and Ellysidell rooted him out from the cellar. The sorcerer cast a sleep spell to subdue the halfling, and the elf quickly found his little buddy. When he was awakened Benito and Ellysidell talked to him in the woodshed so that he would not escape. He still refused to go along with the assault and adamantly stated that he would not take orders from Aris. By the time, Alberia and Milo returned with the rest of the horses and the orc prisoner--fortunately without incident--Grim relunctantly agreed to accompany the heroes but on the condition that he would not listen to Aris. Aris would have to go through Benito or Ellysidell to talk to him. Alberia and Milo took their leave, with the orc prisoner and Leo in tow, heading quickly for the ford at the ruins of Morningstar Hollow and on to the capital.

The rest of the heroes, with one of Aif's henchmen as a guide headed towards the hill and hidden base, determined to stop the Zhents and rescue Alaghon...or die trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases