Bard character concept....

F.C.Desoya

First Post
Ok, so I am getting ready to play a bard. Usually I DM, but my chance to play a while. I am working on a Drow Bard (Mime) who is mute! I am thinking he was outcast young for being mute and on the surface stumbled into a traveling circus. The owner made him paint his face and be the clown / mime. For the music I figure he would play a kazoo.

Anyone else have some ideas? Thanks!

yennico

First Post
Your character concept has two specialties:
1. being mute
2. being a drow in disguise

1. Being mute is a big disadvantage for every player character, because the player must roleplay this in every session and the player character can not use the spech to communicate with other NPCs.
It is hard to play a mute PC in every session and I would not allow a mute PC in a long lasting campaign because I doubt that a player can play a mute PC good for a long time.
I would allow this concept only in a one-shot session or one longer adventure (max. 5 sessions).

If a bard can play a lute and sing at the same time he can use (or continue to to use) his bardic music and can also cast a spell.

A bard is a master of music and words (bluff, diplomacy). If you steal him his speech he can not take skills like bluff or diplomacy. If somebody has found out that the PC is a drow, the PC can not talk his way out. Without his speech the bard can not show his "goodness" easily.

This PC is limited to the traveling circus. He can not communicate with other persons. A traveling bard (a non-drow) raises no suspicions, but a lone clown in party of adventures raises suspicions.

2. Drow are LA +2 races, so your 1. level bard starts in a group of level 3 adventurers. A bard is also a spellcaster. So with the LA +2 your bard looses one level of spells. The bard gets his first first level spell in level two not like a wizard in level one. The bard also get some spells (e.g. charm monster) before a wizard gets them, so the saves against this bardic spells are lower than the saves for this spell as a wizard spell.

I think your concept is good for an interesting NPC.
Why do you use a bard as class ? because of the spells ? If you want a NPC musician (mime) you can take an expert with class levels in perform, balance, escape artist, disquise, jump, tumble, etc.

Thalantor

First Post
I also jsut started palying a bard, and here were some thoughts I had:

- Human Bard, "The charming Inventor". He's a bit of a loony inventor with a high craft skill who constantly thinks up new gadgets to ease life for him and his partymembers. Some of them are succesful, so he's not totally useless. He enlisted in the Wizard academy to become a wizard originally, but liked campua life better and becamy a jack of all trades and frat president a bit too long to really make it. Think Ferris Bueller.

- Half Orc Bard, "The Resenting Performer". Never onbe to truelly shine in the singing or performing department, he's still widely applauded after each performance. At least until he's out of the pub, because people fear he will smash the place up if he's ever enraged due to his severe lack of judgment in regards to critisims of people. Think a drunk Mr. T on karaoke.

- Dwarven Bard "The firebrand Preacher". Never one to turn to the gods when trouble is abrewing, this guy can rally the troups like nobody's business and is a fond creator of the angry mob with torches and pitchforks. He firmly believes that you're right when you say it often en loud enough. He does have a basic good sense of morals, but those often clash with local authorities whom he then tries to de-popularize in the pub at night after a few stiff drinks. Think..uhm.. redneck town preacher with angry mob.

- Half-giant bard, "The Bellowing Soprano". Plain and simple. Think Pavarotti. Is of the opinion that everything should be big drinks and busty babes and loud yet good music.

Some may not have a high survivability rate, but all are fun to play, methinks.

F.C.Desoya

First Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Our DM has us trying to be creative in player concepts. He is picturing the party made up of members from a failed traveling circus. So far we have the Bard and a Halfling Barbarian as the strong man.

Any other ideas that would make interesting characters that could fit the circus role turned adventures?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Failed Circus PCs:

-> Knife Thrower (halfling Rogue/Ftr/Master Thrower/Invisible Blade)

-> Fire Eater (Bbn/Sorc/DragonDisciple)

-> Animal Handler (Ranger or Druid)

-> Fortune Teller (Diviner or Cleric of the god of Luck)

-- N

smootrk

First Post
More Carnivale types:

-The Fat Man (book of vile has a feat for such)

-The Thin Man (see above)

-Snake Charmer (Druid or Mage w/familiar)

-Classic Style Magician with rabbit in the hat type gig

-Bear Wrestler (Ranger/Strong Druid with animal friend)

-Contortionist/Escape Artist (rogue/possible monk)

-Lion Tamer

-Bed of Nails type Guy (monk?)

-Belly Dancers (bards/performers)

-Acrobats/Jugglers of different types

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I had a circus set up with a Half-fiendish strongman, a couple of elven rogues as acrobats, a druid with a two headed lion as a companion. A couple of bards as muscians and a Halfling Psionist as the fortune teller. The Ringmaster was a good sorcerer, and traved an evil land trying to organize a rebellion. The players started not knowing this of course and the One shot game was to rescue him from the authorities.

Remove ads