Anyone got a good Fighter/Mage build?

Zadam

First Post
I've been toying with the the idea of making a Fighter/Mage for a while. The idea of course would be not to wear any armor but use spells for defence, and also to buff up your attack ability. However, at first glance it seems like it might not be possible to really pull this of effectively.

Anyone ever made a decent Fighter/Mage build? What spells did you use, and how many levels in each class did you get?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Zadam said:
I've been toying with the the idea of making a Fighter/Mage for a while. The idea of course would be not to wear any armor but use spells for defence, and also to buff up your attack ability. However, at first glance it seems like it might not be possible to really pull this of effectively.

Anyone ever made a decent Fighter/Mage build? What spells did you use, and how many levels in each class did you get?
Take 1 level in Fighter and then go Eldritch Knight and you should be fine.

JimAde

First Post
There are, of course, many ways to do this. For one interesting take, check out the articles on this guy's site:

http://www.geocities.com/cayzle/

Look in the left-hand menu for the "Mage Tank" articles. Very good stuff. In fact, my PCs are about to run into an Eldritch Knight who makes use of these suggestions and I predict a very tough time for them. :)

Zadam

First Post
That site has some cool ideas, but its mostly focused on making a mage who wears armor, and casts spells which can be cast without somatic(sp?) components. What I want to go for though is a mostly combat oriented character who replaces his ability to wear armor with protective spells, plus has some offensive spells up his sleave.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Zadam said:
That site has some cool ideas, but its mostly focused on making a mage who wears armor, and casts spells which can be cast without somatic(sp?) components. What I want to go for though is a mostly combat oriented character who replaces his ability to wear armor with protective spells, plus has some offensive spells up his sleave.
Just do an Eldritch Knight with Mage Armour then. Maybe take a level in Monk too for the +2 to all saves and the WIS bonus to AC.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
JimAde said:
Look in the left-hand menu for the "Mage Tank" articles. Very good stuff.

Do you think he realises that the Metamagic Rod of Still Spell he recommends a couple of times... doesn't exist?

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Rystil Arden said:
I'm going to guess he wheedled his DM into allowing it?

"Magic Items: There are a few magic items that make especially good sense for the arcane tank. A Metamagic Rod of Still Spell tops that list. With a Lesser Rod, for example, that's three magic missiles, or three lightning bolts, that you can cast each day with no chance of failure in your plate mail."

"By the time you are approaching 7th to 9th level, think about taking that Still Spell feat or buying a Metamagic Rod of Still Spell (or two)."

He's offering it as a suggestion, not describing something in his own campaign :)

-Hyp.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
"Magic Items: There are a few magic items that make especially good sense for the arcane tank. A Metamagic Rod of Still Spell tops that list. With a Lesser Rod, for example, that's three magic missiles, or three lightning bolts, that you can cast each day with no chance of failure in your plate mail."

"By the time you are approaching 7th to 9th level, think about taking that Still Spell feat or buying a Metamagic Rod of Still Spell (or two)."

He's offering it as a suggestion, not describing something in his own campaign :)

-Hyp.
Hmm...rolled a high Bluff check on himself and voluntarily failed the Sense Motive?

Zadam

First Post
I personally don't really see whats so good about an Eldritch Knight? Seems to me all you get is 1 Fighter feat at the expense of one spellcasting level? Oh that and 1d6 for HP instead of 1d4. The reason I wanted levels in Fighter was for the higher level Fighter Feats (Weapon Specialization etc), which Eldritch Knight wont give you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases